Universal Drops CD prices

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 21 Sep 2003, 04:03 am »
Well, I saw at Wal-Mart that the price drop seems already to have taken effect.  There seems to be an across the board drop in prices over the last couple weeks.

I just bought an Enya Greatest Hits CD tonite for $10 that was $15 there last week.

Tbadder1

« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2003, 05:10 pm »
A dream come true!  I've always wanted to walk into a store and pick up 10 cds for 100 bucks.  I hope this forces everyone to follow suit.  I'm not a fan of downloading music, but I'm not a fan of ridiculous prices either.  GO UNIVERSAL GO!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2003, 07:21 pm »
Hmmm...the price deal is good, but the Enya disc maybe wasn't the best idea I've ever had. :oops:   Sometimes it's not a good thing to try something new... :lol:

SWG255

Enya CD for $10
« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2003, 11:50 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Hmmm...the price deal is good, but the Enya disc maybe wasn't the best idea I've ever had. :oops:   Sometimes it's not a good thing to try something new... :lol:
Hi,

I think I agree with you about Enya, I wouldn't want a "greatest hits" compilation. I actually have three CDs of her, "Watermark", "Shepherd's Moon" (I thihnk that's the title anyway), and the one which has the same song at the Lord of the Rings soundtrack. Of these, i like "Watermark", and really didn't need the other two.  Watermark has some good sonics, especially in the bass to go with her voice, which seems a little less processed on this recording than the others.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2003, 12:05 am »
Many of the tracks on "Paint the Sky With Stars" really don't sound very good from a sound quality standpoint.  I really liked a few songs, a couple were really annoying, the rest sounded like being stuck in a (vaugely Celtic) elevator.  I'm not saying I wasted my money, it just wasn't quite what I expected (after all, her sister is the lead vocalist of Altan, a pretty traditional Celtic group).  I'll give it another shot.

I've heard that Watermark is one of the better ones; "Longships", especially, is a track I've been told has some remarkable bass.  I'll maybe look into that one eventually.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2003, 08:52 am »
Concerning the price drop  - check out this audiogon thread, especially about their contract for pricing -- http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?gmusi&1064015416&read&3&4&

WilliamL

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2003, 11:51 pm »
Does not apply to Classical CDs? WTF!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2003, 12:00 am »
Yeah, that's a bummer.  But we still have Naxos pumping out very good CDs for $6-$7 a pop.

I also browse the classical bin at the local used disc places like Disc-Go-Round.  They have a surprising amount of excellent classical discs.  I bought a superb Sony recording by Joshua Bell (Mendelsson & Beethoven) for $7 last week.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2003, 12:08 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
... it just wasn't quite what I expected (after all, her sister is the lead vocalist of Altan, a pretty traditional Celtic group).  I'll give it another shot.

Rob,
I think you mean Maire Brennan of Clannad rather than Altan----- Clannad & Altan certainly are both in the traditional Celtic vein.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2003, 12:23 am »
Ooops! :oops:  Good catch, Tonto.  I'm a have many Clannad albums, too.  For some reason I had 'em mixed up.

Until recently, I'd say Altan was just slightly more traditional, but "Another Sky" definately is a bit more of a pop album that I'm used to by them.  And the reveiws of their newest one makes me think it's nearly a conventional pop record, with a few standards tacked on.

I really love both groups, though.

bob82274

« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2003, 02:08 am »
I do wonder how this is going to affect the industry.  I know that I will be picking up several albums in the next month (especially by U2) that will see the price drop.  I'm in college so I know many people who are always hooked up to a T3 line.  Most people that I know have the policy of buying only the albums of the groups that they really support and have done so for a long time.  The rest of the stuff they download and burn.  This also applies for movies as the hit they take with divx is minimal compared to a DVD.  They don't have 5.1 and usually only have a small TV.  

Talking with one of my buddies over a few rounds of bowling I got an idea of how some people are viewing the whole situation.  He is completly boycotting the big lables due to their connection to the RIAA.  After they sued a 12 year old girl there have been a bunch that have taken offense.  While its great that some of the P2P networks have picked up her tab that doesn't diminish the fact that a huge orginsation went after a kid.  Part of me hates buying those records for that very reason.  I just love the music too much.  But in case you were wondering if he was just being cheap I can assure you he isn't.  He too has gotten hooked on DVDs and has been buying them left and right.  Buying 10 movies in one trip is something that I havn't even considered.  

This is when I am happy that there are those virus writers and those hackers out there.  Now I just wish that they would cause some serious damage to RIAA.