How do I know if my battery is degrading?

fu_man

How do I know if my battery is degrading?
« on: 18 Dec 2007, 12:18 am »
Sorry if this  has  been asked  before -   
My Sig  30  has  been unused for a  while,  although  i tried  to  top up  the  charge from time to time.

If the  battery is  degraded and slowly on  it's  way out will  I  get  an "all or  nothing"  output, or a slow decline in  power/ quality?

I have  just  hooked   up  new  super efficient  speakers  and I  find I  have to turn the Sig's  up  to 12'oclock to  go  loud -  at this  level they  'match'  my 2 watt 45 SET  at 'full' (SB3  at "40"  and no pre)
... which seems  to  be okay  except that  when i had   much  less  efficient  speakers ( Visaton OB's) I  didn't  have to go so  far up the dial? 

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: How do I know if my battery is degrading?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2007, 01:51 am »
Hi fu_man,

If the  battery is  degraded and slowly on  it's  way out will  I  get  an "all or  nothing"  output, or a slow decline in  power/ quality?

If the batteries are on their way out, their voltage will drop quickly and you'll find that you'll hit distortion (clipping) at lower volumes.  If the voltage really drops low, you might even hear a high-pitch "squealing" sound as you are not running the amplifier board in its normal operating range.  You won't need to turn up the volume control more if the battery voltage is running low... you'll simply hit clipping at lower volume levels.

The new Red Wine Audio units feature our SMART module and this automatically shuts off the unit and starts the charge process if the voltage were to drop too low.  This way, you cannot ever damage the batteries.

I have  just  hooked   up  new  super efficient  speakers  and I  find I  have to turn the Sig's  up  to 12'oclock to  go  loud -  at this  level they  'match'  my 2 watt 45 SET  at 'full' (SB3  at "40"  and no pre)
... which seems  to  be okay  except that  when i had   much  less  efficient  speakers ( Visaton OB's) I  didn't  have to go so  far up the dial? 

The position on the volume control is a relative thing.  For example, you can have a 2 watt amp that sounds much louder at 9 o'clock on the volume than a 1000 watt amp.  The position of the volume control for a certain volume really depends on the gain/input sensitivity of the amplifer, the attenuation curve of the volume control, the output voltage of your source, the efficiency of your speakers, etc.

I hope this helps,

Vinnie

fu_man

Re: How do I know if my battery is degrading?
« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2007, 01:06 am »
Thanks  Vinnie,
My main surprise  was  that I use  the volume on the Sig   about the  same now  on  superefficient  horn  speakers  as I did  with my much less  efficient  OB's?  But  there  are  lots of  other  variables  - not  lest  my memory,  maybe  I'm just enjoying listening louder  to the sweet sounds.

Anyway.  seems  like all's  okay.

thanks.