Orion+

Builder Brad

Orion+
« on: 16 Dec 2007, 04:59 pm »
Hi Hugh,

Its been a while....

firstly I would like to wish you the very best regards your forays into new territories!

I am certainly interested in the Aspen/Boulder duet!

I have a quick question regarding ASKAs and Orions that I know keeps popping up.

You may remember that I use an AKSA55 N+ with lowered PS rails to provide 25 watts to drive the tweeters in my Orions. I have been running the second set of tweeters in parallel for the last 6 months with approx 1.75 ohms in series with the rear tweeters but now want to connect both tweeters in parallel with the AKSA amp. I saw your comments regarding the 55 watt Lifeforce with the Orion+ and the option of reducing the voltage to give more headroom with this low impedance load, does this apply to the AKSA that I am using as I have already reduced the PS voltages, or is this a no go?

Out of interest what are the potential problems with running such a low impedance with the AKSA amps, will I just blow the output ICs, or will this affect the audio quality?

Cheers Hugh.

Brad

AKSA

Re: Orion+
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2007, 09:20 pm »
Hi Brad,

Thanks for the post - these Orions are a tough one. 

If you take a LF25, that is a LF55 powered from 24V rails, it will deliver much reduced power but handle this very low impedance without too much trouble.

But of course it won't have much power, 25W is about all, but what I read I think this is more than enough on the tweets!

Cheers,

Hugh

PSP

LF25 and Orion+
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2007, 05:40 pm »
Brad,
I am on a course to try an LF25 on O+ tweets in the coming months.  Unfortunately, I have a lot on my plate these days, so I can't promise to get this done soon.

I will post the results when I get them.

Peter
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2007, 09:07 pm by PSP »