Hughs Power Supply For Squeezebox

bhobba

Hughs Power Supply For Squeezebox
« on: 14 Dec 2007, 11:01 pm »
Hi Hugh and All

I notice Hugh mentioned it was getting a bit quite so I thought I would do a post to liven things up a bit.

Wayne over at Boulder cables is putting a Hugh designed power supply in his Ultimate power supply for the Squeezebox.  I am sure it is a great product, and I even thought about getting one myself.  After a bit of hunting about I noticed Dusty over at Channel Island Audio is producing a cheaper power supply for the Squeezebox.  I am certain it would not be as good as Wayne's Ultimate, but it still looks pretty darn good.  Guys that have tried it rate it as better than Wayne's modified Eplacs, and the now discontinued basic supply.  Since it costs under $300, importing it into Australia is cost effective as well - Wayne's product being over $1000.00 attracts the attention of customs - you have to pay all sorts of costs - under $1000.00 you get it in, no questions asked.

Now, after all the preamble, my question to Hugh is would it be possible to attach his power supply to the CI, and how much would it cost?

Although I have heard the internal DAC of the Squeezebox is very good modded, I rather like separate DAC's, and plan to use my Squeezebox that way.  Does anyone think that Hugh's supply would have an effect on the Squeezebox as a transport?  I suppose the question boils down to would it lower jitter, which I believe is not too bad on a squeezebox to begin with.  I know Empirical Audio produces devices that will get jitter down to inaudible levels for a cost - and when I get my super through I may opt for that solution - but with a really good power supply going to the Squeezebox I suspect jitter would be pretty close to inaudible to begin with.  Technically, my understanding is that the stability of oscillators has a lot to do with the power fed to it.

Thanks
Bill

denjo

Re: Hughs Power Supply For Squeezebox
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2007, 02:21 am »
There is also Paul Hynes PSU ( www.paulhynesdesign.com ). You should add this to your list of possibilities too!

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2007, 03:05 am »
Hi Bill,

I too have a power supply available, for $AUD800.  It is called the Hologram III, a reference to the way it presents the music, and while it's not quite as good as Wayne's Ultimate Nirvana it shares the same encapsulated output module which uses unique regulation circuitry.

Three have been around Melbourne on long term test for about six months and the testers are reluctant to give 'em back!!

It is housed in a nice enclosure with pretty graphics, and if you send your email I can talk more about it.

The Hologram III will work with any mains anywhere in the world, regardless of voltage or frequency.

Cheers,

Hugh

Occam

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2007, 03:32 am »
Hugh,

Your Hologram III ps for the SqueezeBox, as well as your Saroya amp will be at the NY Rave's Holiday get together tomorrow!

-Paul

bhobba

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2007, 04:26 am »
It is housed in a nice enclosure with pretty graphics, and if you send your email I can talk more about it.

Sent you a PM with my email.  Look forward to hearing from you.

The Hologram III will work with any mains anywhere in the world, regardless of voltage or frequency.

Hmmmmmm.  Sounds interesting.  Must be a switching design probably followed by a killer filtering section. 

Thanks
Bill

andyr

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2007, 04:34 am »
Hugh,

Your Hologram III ps for the SqueezeBox, as well as your Saroya amp will be at the NY Rave's Holiday get together tomorrow!

-Paul
The "NY Rave's Holiday get together", eh?  :o

With a name like that, I would suspect there'll be far too much illegal substance consumed to tell whether  a particular component sounds better than anything else!  :P

Regards,

Andy

bhobba

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2007, 04:40 am »

Your comments would be most welcome. 

I have been giving my idea about getting a separate DAC instead of using the internal one a bit of thought.  What I am now leaning towards is getting the full mods done.  I can take delivery of the Squeezebox and sent it to Wayne ant Boulder for the mods which should keep it under the magic $1000.00 mark.

Thanks
Bill

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2007, 05:50 am »
Hugh,

-Paul
Cool !!!! 8)

But Paul....you need to get the amp name right...."SORAYA".
It sounded very good at RMAF.... :thumb:

AKSA

« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2007, 05:59 am »
Bill,

Yes, you are right, a KILLER filtering section is right on the money...... :drool:

Paul,

This is wonderful news, thank you!   :thankyou:

Chris,

When my eldest visits NYC next year and meets Paul, he'd better have it right.  She is 5'9", VERY forthright, can cut a man's head off at 200m with her tongue, and when she flashes her frown.......

.............RUN....................... .......FAST.................... :evil: :evil: :evil:

There were many sparks during her upbringing with her equally stubborn Father......

Cheers,

Hugh

lonewolfny42

« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2007, 06:06 am »
Hugh....

Sounds like your daughter will be able to handle NYC just fine... 8)

I have spoken to Paul about having an AKSA comparison in the future...the Nirvana, the Lifeforce, and the Soraya. Just to see how things have progressed over the years....and to give others a listen. A future Rave in the making... :thumb:

Chris

AKSA

« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec 2007, 06:53 am »
Yes, Chris,

Her biggest challenge in life will be to try to be nice as much as possible, even in the face of threat.....  difficult for anyone, particularly the young.

OTOH, I loved your town, and found the people actually very friendly.  One must always remember it's a big city, and like all big cities, there is always a bit of anonymity, goes with the territory.  Perhaps it was my funny accent!

It would be interesting to track the changes over the years of design, I agree, and I appreciate the opportunity.  No one amp has it all, no question.  There are things the N+ does that I consider better than all the others, but there are also technical advances which stand out clearly.

Cheers,

Hugh

kyrill

« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec 2007, 08:57 am »
why dont you guys live in the netherlands... :cry:
I can offer you the best coffee ( capocunni)in a 100 miles radius, it took me three months to find the perfect grind for that particular 100% Arabian coffee brand, really grind by a 14 kilo heavy red as blood coloured professional Italian grinding machine  ( my future) grandchildren will fight about it, i have only one) Belgian an Dutch beer and then we listen sharp with ultra cristal awareness to... ah well

have fun. Enjoy your experiences as they are all self made. objects and phenomena are our carefully choosen reflections, Make it simple. go for the best as we are all worth it :thumb: :green: :thumb: :green:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: 15 Dec 2007, 09:16 am »
kyrill...
why dont you guys live in the netherlands...

"The Netherlands is a geographically low-lying and densely populated country. It is popularly known for its windmills, cheese, clogs (wooden shoes), delftware and gouda pottery, dikes, tulips, bicycles, and social tolerance."

And I have heard good things about....the beer !!!! :beer:

http://www.bov.ch/cgi-bin/showcountry?holland

Maybe one day..... aa

AKSA

« Reply #13 on: 15 Dec 2007, 09:47 am »
Hi Guys,

Having met Chris, and realising he is a very special person even before that time and reaffirming a strong impression of humanity and kindness within a minute of meeting him, I feel you, Kyrill, are also one such.  I'm very sorry I do not travel more, but I will, and I would LOVE to visit you one day in the Nederlands, as since my trip to the US I have seriously caught the travel bug.

Chris, I love that guy Bov!!  Did you see his splash page:

Designed for 1280x1024 resolutions.
Best viewed while drinking a Rochefort 10
This is UNIX country. On a quiet night, you can hear Windows reboot.

I served for a time in the IT industry, and I found this absolutely hilarious.  One of the things that has kept my business going has been the simple fact that the better the product the worse the sales (I must have an OK product!!) but the reverse is ominous and applies very aptly to MS products.

Cheers,

Hugh

bhobba

« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2007, 10:01 am »
Having met Chris, and realising he is a very special person even before that time and reaffirming a strong impression of humanity and kindness within a minute of meeting him,

His posts sure as hell confirm it, IMHO.

I feel you, Kyrill, are also one such.  I'm very sorry I do not travel more, but I will, and I would LOVE to visit you one day in the Netherlands, as since my trip to the US I have seriously caught the travel bug.

Ditto for Kyrill

I served for a time in the IT industry,

Did it for 25 years.  Started out loving applied math and programming - now only the applied math - enough said.

Thanks
Bill

lonewolfny42

« Reply #15 on: 15 Dec 2007, 10:04 am »
Thank you Hugh....I enjoyed meeting both you and Marty...great time at RMAF... :thumb:

Interesting work by Bov....so many beers....so little time... :beer:

Kyrill....

You live in a great place....really. I hope to one day get there...when I finally have time to travel.

But....this thread is about Hugh's Power Supply For The Squeezebox....glad its working out well....good reviews... 8)

bhobba

« Reply #16 on: 15 Dec 2007, 10:15 am »
Hi Hugh and All

Hugh convinced me to get one once I get a Squeezebox.  I can see myself getting a Soraya a bit sooner that I originally thought - I just need for my bank balance to get used to the idea.

Thanks
Bill

lonewolfny42

« Reply #17 on: 15 Dec 2007, 10:21 am »
Hi Hugh and All

Hugh convinced me to get one once I get a Squeezebox.  I can see myself getting a Soraya a bit sooner that I originally thought - I just need for my bank balance to get used to the idea.

Thanks
Bill

Sounds like a good idea Bill !!!

Your gonna have a fine system.... 8)  :dance:

Good luck..... :thumb:

Chris

gerado

« Reply #18 on: 18 Dec 2007, 01:36 pm »
Boys!

in not too technical terms what is it about the power supply that improves the Squeeze Box so much. Does it like a DC current and thus any ripple off the mains upsets its sensitive circuits?

Why not just hook up a car battery to it and let it charge up when not in use. - sorry Hugh  :nono:

Is the upgrade a must, or is the PS the major improvement.  If I am an absolute fussy bugger will I be happy with just the PS? I have the green light from the good wife to get one  - yes Ive been a really good boy lately aa -  and I do not look forward to sending it to the US and back for a mod when Hugh is just a roll down the hill.

There was some talk a few weeks ago about the Monica DAC but it went over my head a bit and I went cross eyed
trying to make sense of it.

Also on the SB but not the PS, if one uses the dac on the SB does it have the capacity to take 2 inputs , one from PC and another from a CD transport?

Hugh its another visit Im affraid :wave:

Theo

jules

« Reply #19 on: 18 Dec 2007, 09:43 pm »
Thanks for raising that one Theo ...

any advice on the possibility of using battery power would interest me too. 12V, 24V ... how many volts or is not an option?

jules