Brand new MacBook Pro screen flickers...WTF?

Levi

Brand new MacBook Pro screen flickers...WTF?
« on: 14 Dec 2007, 03:34 am »
I just bought my first Mac.  It is a MacBook Pro and it already has a flickering screen.  What the?  :evil:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

Bemopti123

Re: Brand new MacBook Pro screen flickers...WTF?
« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2007, 04:01 am »
Man, that is a bummer.  If you bought yours with a CC, you can send the credit company's dog to get them.  My G4 has not had an issue with the screen since I bought it.  That makes me wonder whether a new MacBook Pro would be a good move.  Did you buy Apple Care with it?  For this sort of large investment, it pays to get that extra insurance.  I would.   :thumb:

PS:  Hopefully the issue with get resolved because my experiences with Macs have been nothing but excellent in the past 2 years. 

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2007, 04:45 am »
It looks like a problem with the inverter board.  I have warranty.  The funny thing is I used it twice and it is already broken.   :scratch:

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2007, 04:45 am »
Thanks Chris.  Looks like we are using the same search engine. :)

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2007, 05:49 am »
Hey!

Ouch! That's suck!  :evil:

Screen on my 'lil PowerBook G4 still works perfectly almost 4 years now... and I do all my photo works on this 'lil machine. :D

When I bought mine I did not buy the Apple Care. Beside the HDD that came with it died late last year everything still work as it should.

Well, on the bright side. It is still under the warranty that came with it. Just send it back. So, I guess is it better that this happen now than later. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2007, 05:53 am »
Yeah, I was going to run to the Apple store in 5th Avenue to see if they can fix it right now.  I am sure they are wide open 1:am.  Nah.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2007, 05:56 am »
Yeah, I was going to run to the Apple store in 5th Avenue to see if they can fix it right now.  I am sure they are wide open 1:am.  Nah.
Isn't that the store you said was open 24 hours a day ?

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2007, 05:59 am »
Yes.  They are always open.

drphoto

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2007, 06:08 pm »
As much as I like Apple, they are not without fault in design and/or manufacturing. The display on my titanium G4 crapped out, which was not uncommon. The chassis was essentially plastic w/ a thin titanium skin. This led to flexing which led to broken traces and inverter boards. I speculate this is why they quietly moved to the aluminum shell after all the hype about the titanium design.

My 9500 was very poorly designed, you had to basically disassemble the damn thing to put in memory modules. I eventually got my hands on a Daystar Genesis chassis and built my own clone.

Still.....I'll stick w/ them. Mac people are sort of like Harley people I think. There is a loyality that may border on the irrational.  :)

mfsoa

« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2007, 07:59 pm »
Levi,
Could this be just a simple screen refresh rate issue? I don't know if I'm overly sensitive to it or not, but screens set to 60hz really bug me. I don't know how many times I've walked up to PCs and reset the refresh rate and the picture was so much easier on the eye.

Just a guess.

Good luck!

-Mike

mcullinan

« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2007, 08:09 pm »
return it something is wrong.
Mike

Levi

« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2007, 09:23 pm »
Levi,
Could this be just a simple screen refresh rate issue? I don't know if I'm overly sensitive to it or not, but screens set to 60hz really bug me. I don't know how many times I've walked up to PCs and reset the refresh rate and the picture was so much easier on the eye.

Just a guess.

Good luck!

-Mike

The screen just went really dark.  I searched online and it looks like a known issue with the board.

Levi

« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2007, 09:25 pm »
return it something is wrong.
Mike

It's funny, knowing that I just bought it.  I did returned it and received a brand new MacBook Pro.  :)

Case close for now.