3 channel Omegastar 440 EXH or 260 EXH

G E

3 channel Omegastar 440 EXH or 260 EXH
« on: 13 Dec 2007, 09:42 pm »
Frank,

Can you build a three channel Omegastar 440 EXH or 260 EXH on a custom or one-off basis?  If so, what do you estimate costs to be?

Thanks!

G E

avahifi

Re: 3 channel Omegastar 440 EXH or 260 EXH
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2007, 03:27 pm »
Sorry, there simply is not enough real estate available in the chassis for three channel versions of the bigger amplifiers.  They use more output devices and larger audio boards.

I should note that the 240/3EX is well over 100 real watts per channel and no buyer has given me any feedback regarding not enough power for the center channel or rear speakers.  It should be all you need.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

gkinberg

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2010, 04:23 am »
Hi Frank,

I intend to go with Salk Speakers across the front three (LCR). Either SongTowers or HT2's. I am thinking about getting your 240/3 to power the front three. However, considering it will also be my two channel amp, I'd like to have more power. I replied to this post in case size issues have changed. Or do you think the 240/3 would be fine considering sometimes I like my music and movies LOUD.

Thanks for your time and suggestions, Garth

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2010, 01:44 pm »
Well, thinking about your request (for a higher power Insight+ 240/3 amplifier), I think it can be done.

If we build the 240/3 with the Exicon Double Die output mos-fets that would provide a nice extra margin of output capability and then used the much bigger Insight+ 440 power transformer we would make a lot more power.  Of course that would require a power supply board upgrade and parts upgrade on the audio boards too to support the higher voltage and power.

Overall, I think we can do it and it should make 200 watts per channel (x 3) and be safe into 4 ohm loads.

The sound should be identical to any other new Insight+ amplifier.

It would cost $600 extra to build you a special high powered 3 channel amp this way and would be a custom "one off" piece at this time, so it would be necessary for you to wave the satisfaction guarantee for this purchase.  The total cost would be $1799.

Oh yes, might as well let the cat out of the bag (poor Stanley trapped in there for the last month).

"Insight+" for the sharp eyes of you out there is the label we have been installing on all our solid state amps shipped for the last month (and Ultra+ hybrid amps too).  It seems as though we have come up with some very very nice circuit improvements to both designs and have put them into production as unannounced running production changes.  You might ask Martyo about it.  He has been running an Ultra+ Double 550 for the past two weeks or so.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Art_Chicago

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2010, 02:09 pm »

Oh yes, might as well let the cat out of the bag (poor Stanley trapped in there for the last month).

"Insight+" for the sharp eyes of you out there is the label we have been installing on all our solid state amps shipped for the last month (and Ultra+ hybrid amps too).  It seems as though we have come up with some very very nice circuit improvements to both designs and have put them into production as unannounced running production changes.  You might ask Martyo about it.  He has been running an Ultra+ Double 550 for the past two weeks or so.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Great!

I have Omegastar 260 EX, so, Frank, please a few words about the upgrade to Insight +!  Hopefully, martyo will share his experience  :D

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2010, 03:06 pm »
OK martyo, fess up. Fill us in on the new '+' tweaks. Are they retros to your original Dbl 550, or did you do a swap for a new unit ? Inquiring minds want to know.  :thumb:

mathgeek97

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2010, 03:07 pm »

And me, too.  I was hoping to be the first with one of the new and improved amps.  Good news is that we're picking out paint and wallpaper, so there is progress on my house!!!

Martyo, how do you like your new amp?

mark funk

« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2010, 09:12 pm »
Well now that Stanley is out. I got home from work today and on my door step was my Ultra+ 550 that Frank just upgraded from a 550EXR6. My amp had a very large upgrade so I should not talk about how Stanley's upgrade sounds. Martyo has been down in his cave for a few weeks now putting those ears to work I'm sure he well come out soon with some thing to say. I am going to go and open the box and hear what we have.

:smoke:

gkinberg

« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2010, 12:26 am »
Thank you Frank for your quick and insightful reply to my post. I am seriously considering your proposal but I’m not ready for it considering I don’t have the speakers yet. I’ll be in touch.

Cheers, Garth

Well, thinking about your request (for a higher power Insight+ 240/3 amplifier), I think it can be done.

If we build the 240/3 with the Exicon Double Die output mos-fets that would provide a nice extra margin of output capability and then used the much bigger Insight+ 440 power transformer we would make a lot more power.  Of course that would require a power supply board upgrade and parts upgrade on the audio boards too to support the higher voltage and power.

Overall, I think we can do it and it should make 200 watts per channel (x 3) and be safe into 4 ohm loads.

The sound should be identical to any other new Insight+ amplifier.

It would cost $600 extra to build you a special high powered 3 channel amp this way and would be a custom "one off" piece at this time, so it would be necessary for you to wave the satisfaction guarantee for this purchase.  The total cost would be $1799.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

martyo

« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2010, 05:00 pm »

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine
Hey guys. Okay, it was a retro to my Double. How does it sound? To keep it simple I would say there is increased clarity, which in turn effects everything. Every update Frank makes seems to improve the extremes and here the bass is more detailed and dynamic and seems quicker to me. The highs are also more detailed and open but sound more delicate. To use one of them there audiophile cliches, yet another veil is removed. It's all more detailed and as full bodied as ever. My listening buddy who wasn't aware of any change with the amp remarked that the set had more depth and more "zip". If I had to pick one aspect of the sound that is most noticable to me it would be the increased Front to Back clarity. That is also what brother markfunk commented on.

I like it a lot. :eyebrows: Kudo's again Frank :thumb: