Stereophile Review of 28B SST in January 2008 Issue

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Stereophile Review of 28B SST in January 2008 Issue
« on: 11 Dec 2007, 05:10 pm »
Hi All,

Got confirmation that the 28B SST review in the January 2008 Stereophile will be released any day.

I will provide a link and a PDF of the review shortly.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: Stereophile Review of 28B SST in January 2008 Issue
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2007, 06:15 pm »
I have a preliminary copy of the Stereophile review PDF.

Send me an email at jamestanner@bryston.ca and I will send you a sneak preview.
The file is 5M

james
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2007, 06:51 pm by James Tanner »

Viajero5000

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2007, 07:54 am »
Yet another great review; this time coming from a source that's previously sometimes been a tiny bit aloof about bryston/ pmc products. 

Which market is this amp primarily tartgeted at (pro or audiophile)? What surprises me is that this amp is consistently being described as 'sweet/ warm'; is this a departure from bryston's normal sonic 'signature', and will this trend continue with future models?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2007, 12:01 pm »
Yet another great review; this time coming from a source that's previously sometimes been a tiny bit aloof about bryston/ pmc products. 

Which market is this amp primarily tartgeted at (pro or audiophile)? What surprises me is that this amp is consistently being described as 'sweet/ warm'; is this a departure from bryston's normal sonic 'signature', and will this trend continue with future models?

Hi Viajero,

Whats interesting about this is that we have never 'targeted' our amplifiers to a specific market. Our goal from day one of manufacturing audio equipment has been to build the most "linear" (accurate) product the current state of the art will allow for. We do not in any way 'voice' our products -never have - never will.

james

Viajero5000

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2007, 12:15 pm »
so it's just better technology giving the perception of 'sweetness/ warmth' (emotional engagement?) rather than a deliberate aim to do so. I find my older bryston to be consistently 'neutral', clear and clean, but never 'sweet/ warm' (highly emotionally moving at first listen) in the way some other (fuzzier sounding) amps are. I'm not sure whether that 'warmth' will be communicated via my PMC MB2 speakers though; whenever I've tried such gear on them (audio note, myryad, couple others), they sound excessively smooth, dark and very bland instead of sweet. If it does work on the PMC's, I think I'd want to buy one; such gear is easier to listen to during casual listening and entertaining, not to mention the increase in ease and dynamic impact at normal volumes.

Btw what time is it where you are James? ( bryston would be a lost cause without you; I hope you have equity in the company; if not, they'd better give you some!)

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2007, 12:53 pm »
Hello All,
I`ve read the Stereophile review sent by Mr.Tanner
What I want to point is everyone is free to accept or refuse the reviewer`s statements.
I have little experiences with different brands because there are not many of them represent in my country.
We are something like DIY.Somebody heart or read something.It like a gossip.
What I learned in high school is prior to accept something for a valid you have to know how the measures were taken and the measuring equipment tolerance. Next thing is the reviewer described that he heart something for the first time.The question which arise is what maybe this man was deaf until now or there is something else. In Russian press there is an opinion that a lot of the reviewer are paid to write articles.
Reading the article I wondering what the reviewer is trying to do.He expected to hear a solid bass from Quad`s or Revel using lean cables.
Mr.Tanner may correct me, but to reproduce a solid bass you need a large AWG cable.The cable should not be the hindrance in reproducing the sound.
Keep on pursuiting the truth.
Daniel

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2007, 03:48 pm »
so it's just better technology giving the perception of 'sweetness/ warmth' (emotional engagement?) rather than a deliberate aim to do so. I find my older bryston to be consistently 'neutral', clear and clean, but never 'sweet/ warm' (highly emotionally moving at first listen) in the way some other (fuzzier sounding) amps are. I'm not sure whether that 'warmth' will be communicated via my PMC MB2 speakers though; whenever I've tried such gear on them (audio note, myryad, couple others), they sound excessively smooth, dark and very bland instead of sweet. If it does work on the PMC's, I think I'd want to buy one; such gear is easier to listen to during casual listening and entertaining, not to mention the increase in ease and dynamic impact at normal volumes.

Btw what time is it where you are James? ( bryston would be a lost cause without you; I hope you have equity in the company; if not, they'd better give you some!)

Hi Viajero,

In my opinion it's not just the technology it is the ability to use that technology in a manner that serves the purpose.

The experience you gain as a manufacturer in engineering, design, production etc. all adds up to bringing a product to market that gets you closer to the desired goal. I think of audio products as a 'barbed wire' and over the years your job as a manufacturer of audio products is to 'file ' down those barbs in the hope of someday achieving the holy grail of audio - 'a straight wire with gain'.

For over 35 years now I have worked towards that goal and have loved every moment of it.

james

Viajero5000

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2007, 04:48 pm »
the purpose being to create the most 'accurate' product possible, i'd assume.

always a real pleasure working/ dealing with people who're passionate about and believe in what they do; i doubt i'll ever use anything but bryston amps in my 'permanent' systems for as long as the company is driven by such attitudes.

Toka

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2007, 05:21 pm »
Agreed. And thanks to James for sending me the .pdf file...yet another stellar review. Congrats!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2007, 03:30 pm »
Hi All,

Link to Stereophile Review of 28B SST

http://bryston.ca/pdfs/07/Stereophile%2028B%20SST%20Review.pdf

james

Eric

« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2007, 04:26 pm »
Great review, James

mustangkc

« Reply #11 on: 26 Dec 2007, 01:56 pm »
Having just read the review I have a couple of questions. The review refers to the sweetness and smoothness in the treble and implies that this might be the result of the circuit layout. There is also a mention of the circuit changes being incorporated into the other SST amps. Can the treble performance from the 28SST be expected in future production 4BSSTs and if so after what date code can a purchaser expect to benefit from the updated circuit layout in 4BSSTs? Thanks and Happy Holidays.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 26 Dec 2007, 02:42 pm »
Having just read the review I have a couple of questions. The review refers to the sweetness and smoothness in the treble and implies that this might be the result of the circuit layout. There is also a mention of the circuit changes being incorporated into the other SST amps. Can the treble performance from the 28SST be expected in future production 4BSSTs and if so after what date code can a purchaser expect to benefit from the updated circuit layout in 4BSSTs? Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Hi,

The 'technology' in the 28B has to do with the fact that it is a big high powered "Series" amplifier with multiple output devices.  So in the smaller amplifiers like the 2B 3B, 4B, B100 etc. the design differences are not applicable.

The beauty of the smaller amplifiers is that they are 'simple and uncomplicated' circuits. It is much easier to build a  great neutral sounding amplifier with minimum circuit complexities then large amplifiers with complicated output stages.

james

mustangkc

« Reply #13 on: 26 Dec 2007, 03:26 pm »
Hi James and thanks for the reply. The item in the review I was referring to was a mention of satisfaction on the part of Bryston with regard to the 28s new circuits that led to the company adopting a similar layout throughout the SST line. Perhaps I misinterpretted that but it sounded as if a change was made based on positive developments achieved during the 28SSTs design that would/could be incorporated throughout the line. I take it then that there will be no change to other SST amps? The "new discreet input buffer" as well as a "virtually wireless construction" were the specific areas that I saw mentioned. Thanks.

mr_bill

« Reply #14 on: 26 Dec 2007, 05:45 pm »
James,
I know that the back of the Bryston amps have a toggle swithc to select between RCA and XLR.
Can you have two sources plugged simultaneously (say an SB3 into rca and a wadia player into xlr) and then select which source you are listening too via the toggle switch without causing any damage?
Thanks,
Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 26 Dec 2007, 06:19 pm »
James,
I know that the back of the Bryston amps have a toggle swithc to select between RCA and XLR.
Can you have two sources plugged simultaneously (say an SB3 into rca and a wadia player into xlr) and then select which source you are listening too via the toggle switch without causing any damage?
Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes you can 'toggle' the inputs.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 27 Dec 2007, 05:06 pm »
Hi James and thanks for the reply. The item in the review I was referring to was a mention of satisfaction on the part of Bryston with regard to the 28s new circuits that led to the company adopting a similar layout throughout the SST line. Perhaps I misinterpretted that but it sounded as if a change was made based on positive developments achieved during the 28SSTs design that would/could be incorporated throughout the line. I take it then that there will be no change to other SST amps? The "new discreet input buffer" as well as a "virtually wireless construction" were the specific areas that I saw mentioned. Thanks.

Hi,

I will check further with engineering but all SST amps use the Discreet Input Buffer it is just that the bigger Series amps use two of them.

james

mustangkc

« Reply #17 on: 27 Dec 2007, 09:33 pm »
Great, thank you James I look forward to knowing of any updates to the SST line as I will be in the market next year. I thoroughly enjoy my current 4BST and this 28SST sounds like a killer,  just way too much for the listening room and speakers I will be using. I would surely enjoy a smaller version of the sonics described in the 28SST review though.