vman71

American Gangster
« on: 11 Dec 2007, 04:33 pm »
BIG  :thumb:

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
Re: American Gangster
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2007, 06:04 pm »
I enjoyed it but felt liked it ws following some guidelines.  It's kind of like it was trying to hit all the established buttons. It missed crucial character development scenes that would draw me into the individual supporting characters, For instance, I never got into the wife, she made a statement or realization and I thought where'd that come from... His brothers could have been more defined (a few of them are pretty fine actors and when I saw them I was thinking they are going to bring something nice to the film, but the writing never allowed it.  Denzel and Crowe were very good but by the ime they got together to create some good chemistry it was time to wrap it up.  Crowe has some nice characters to bounce off us but I felt Denzel didn't and he was out there like a one man show playing bigger and bolder than everyone else around him.  Good movie but it missed being a classic and it possibly could have been with a little more effort from the director and writers. Denzel was Denzel and Crowe was Crowe...strong performances.

griller

Re: American Gangster
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2007, 08:59 pm »
I hope to get to this one soon. If the work schedule doesn't get better, might have to wait for DVD