EAC & Foobar Q's

Gordy

EAC & Foobar Q's
« on: 11 Dec 2007, 10:58 am »
I'm very new to this and have a few questions that haven't been cleared by the reading I've done, thanks!

I understand that Winamp needs to have a driver like ASIO4ALL loaded into it in order to bypass the Kmixer when using Windows but, does Foobar need the same or is it a standalone program?  Where would I install ASIO4All, if needed?

Is there a way to tell EAC to send files to both my main HD and the backup HD simultaneously?

I've been concentrating on artists A Thur L on my first HD, do I really need to do this or will Foobar sort alphabetically for me once I have two or more HD's loaded to it's Library?

Thanks all!
Gordy

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: EAC & Foobar Q's
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2007, 12:14 pm »
Can't say for sure on Foobar.  On EAC, you'll not need the special driver (and I don't THINK you will on foobar either - only for playback).

Bryan

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2007, 02:35 pm »
If you use more than one hard drive, my understanding is you put a shortcut to the second, or even third hard drive in the folder of the primary directory you have been saving to initially and the software will go and find it post haste during playback.  Have not had to go there yet.

Gordy

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2007, 09:34 pm »
Thanks for the replies Bryan and BRM!  I have Foobar up and running with my limited library, though the sound quality is just okay  It's no match for my Olive Symphony > P3a and was wondering if some of the problem is that I'm running through Windows k-mixer or if it's simply the Xitel adaptor I'm using to feed my preamp...

Gordy

John151

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2007, 11:34 pm »
Is there a way to tell EAC to send files to both my main HD and the backup HD simultaneously?

Thanks all!
Gordy

I have been using a program called Mareo, that is invoked by EAC for compression.  This program allows for creating mutliple copies/versions of a file at compress time.  I used it for a while to create both FLAC and MP3 files.  More info here:  http://www.webearce.com.ar/

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2007, 11:35 pm »
Can't say for sure.  Personally, I'm not a big fan of doing the D/A in the PC.  A PC is a very noisy electrical environment.  If you want to go this way, I'd look into one of the USB adapters to take out 'out of the box'. 

http://www.hagtech.com/chime.html

I've heard the Chime in a couple of systems and it did very nicely.

Bryan

Gordy

« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2007, 11:58 pm »
Thanks John151, I'll check out webearce, I've been converting to WAV so far though.

I've read very good reports of the Hagtech and I'll be ordering the 1/2 kit next week to use with the P3a. The other gizmo I was just using for streaming radio etc. from my computer, I'm only using it to check out the basics for now. 

Still don't understand if Foobar needs an asio driver or not  :scratch:

flintstone

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2007, 12:17 am »
I use Asio4all with Foobar...you have to configure it though and I don't recall exactly how I did it...it's been a long time.

I'm using the same usb/digital converter you are. Once you have ASIO configured the windows volume control will no longer work.

Dave

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2007, 12:20 am »
Yes, there is an ASIO plugin for foobar. http://www.foobar2000.org/components/index.html

Just unzip and drop in your foorbar\components directory. You will then need to set foobar to use this for playback.

Mike

Gordy

« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2007, 04:23 am »
 :lol:  Thank you Mike!  Second time this week...   :thumb:

I "extracted" the file to components and then went to preferences/playback/output/asio virtual devices where it tells me "no asio devices found".  Should I "open" the file to components?  :oops:

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2007, 06:15 am »

Still don't understand if Foobar needs an asio driver or not  :scratch:

Yep, you need a driver along with the plugin mentioned by mgalusha.

I use the HagUSB and found that the usb-audio driver sounds better than ASIO4ALL, unfortunately it isn't free like ASIO4ALL.
http://www.usb-audio.com/

I view all my albums in UberView, http://www.uberview.org/, which is then configured so that whenever I click on a album cover it will play with Foobar.

You can also setup Foobar to view album art and your playlist at the same time.
http://www.teqnilogik.com/tutorials/foobar2000_itunes.shtml

Wayne

Cacophonix

« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2007, 06:23 am »
I use kernel streaming support, and it sounds great. This too bypasses the windows kernel mixer.

Gordy

« Reply #12 on: 21 Dec 2007, 08:59 pm »
Thank you all!  Sorry it took so long to respond, my Hagtech adapter arrived today and I hope to have my new LT motherboard installed by next week, so I'll finally be able to check out Foobar and your suggestions with a supported OS (XP).  I'll report back as soon as soon as I'm stymied again!

Gordy

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jan 2008, 11:59 pm »
 :green:  It lives!  I'm guessing the "dac" I was using earlier wasn't fully supported by Foobar or the driver because as soon as I installed the Hagtech adapter my computer's vol. slider was disabled, which I presume means the k-mixer is now by-passed.  Despite the antique computer I'm using (windows 2000) and a 10' run of coax to reach my P3a, sound quality is very good and foobar works well enough, though very basic.  Now to work on building a more compact system!

Thank you, everybody, for the help and pointers!!!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #14 on: 8 Mar 2008, 03:11 pm »
I use kernel streaming support, and it sounds great. This too bypasses the windows kernel mixer.

As do I.  Kernel streaming works almost flawlessly (except can be interrupted by Windows sounds).   My Foobar GUI is here: