Pirates 3

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Pirates 3
« on: 10 Dec 2007, 06:53 am »
Okay, this isn't a very new movie but I didn't get the chance to see it in theaters.  I picked it up on NRT but only had time to get around to seeing it tonite.  I dunno...overall I found it a bit of a disappointment on many levels.  It was certainly okay, but a bit too "over the top" visually.  Granted, that's sort of expected with the PotC trilogy but this one was just too busy, with a bit too much CGI (although on a technical level the FX were pretty good- definately the technology is coming a long way).  Perhaps the tempation given an enormous budget and high technology is to allow the visuals to dominate, but here I think it does so at the expense of the story.

And it's a bit dark, isn't it?  Without spoiling things for the 3 people on Earth who haven't seen it yet, isn't the ending a bit gratiutiously mean?  It's a bit out of keeping with the faireytail (in the modern, not Grimm, sense).  Quite a few people are killed in P3.

Not a bad flick by any stretch, but a bit long and overblown.  They couldn've made a better movie by cutting it down by 20 minutes.  In the last 1/2 hour I found myself constantly checking my watch.  That's not usually a good sign.