Thoughts on the approaching Hurricane..

AKSA

« on: 18 Sep 2003, 10:24 pm »
Folks,

My thoughts - and doubtless those of all AKSAphiles - go out at this time to all residents of the East Coast of the US from North Carolina to New England as the 150mph hurricane approaches.  Even NYC will be hit;  this is very unusual for the States, as most of these beasts confine themselves to the states around Kansas and Oklahoma.   :(

Just last night I watched a documentary on weather in the Southern Hemisphere and it would appear that Antarctic wind patterns are changing, and pulling moist air further south.  This is starving southern Australia of water, and the entire continent is now becoming progressively drier.  Here in Melbourne we are already into water restrictions, and it's not even summer!

All this appears to be related to the greenhouse effect;  it seems higher levels of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases is warming the world, changing most aspects of our weather.  It is not known if this is a result of the burning of fossil fuels, or a cyclical, natural phenomenon.  Certainly it's happening quickly, and this indicates the former.

BTW, buy diesel powered autos!  Greenhouse emissions on a 3 litre gasoline engine are the same as those from a 5 litre turbodiesel! (And if you buy the soon-to-be-released VW Touareg you'll have 313bhp at 3750 rpm from a 5 litre V10 diesel with 0-60 times of less than 7 seconds!)

Cheers,

Hugh

rosconey

« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2003, 11:50 pm »
:mrgreen: no such thing as green house gas the gooberment told me so :mrgreen:

bob82274

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2003, 04:27 am »
Well we had classes canceled today because of the hurricane today... all it amounted to though for us though was some good wind and some rain.  I'm sure that it was far worse 200 km (120 miles) east of us but it was fine here.

As for diesels I think that they are a great idea.  However American choices for them is limited to VW.  They are fine cars but I would much prefer some of the other Euro models.  The other option are hybrids but they lack torque for any sort of hills.  I think it really depends on which environment that you are in when you choose diesel or hybrid.  If you plan on going up any sort of mountains or you like acceleration go with the diesel but if you live in an urban environment the hybrids can make a lot of sense as they get much better milage in the city over the highway.  Sadly neither option is in my future as I can barely afford the car I have now... one of the problems with being in school.

Carlman

Maybe less fuel rather than different fuel
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2003, 02:33 pm »
One of the best solutions for reducing car emissions I've heard is to make cities better and/or more attractive places to live.  In the U.S., most people live outside the city because it's not 'safe'.  This and other factors created urban sprawl and now suburban sprawl.  

I think that would help a lot of other areas of our lives as well.  I've seen it start happening in places like Philadelphia but, there's still plenty of unsafe places there.  But, at least they've tried and been a little successful.

If you've ever been to a big city and ended up in the 'wrong side of town' remember how big it was?  It's a big waste of real estate in every city I've been to.

Another option is to simply choose a home close to where you'll work... or work from home some days... there's tons of solutions... just not a lot of willingness from business or government.  And the anti's are too radical to be taken seriously.

Oh.. about that hurricane...
The weather's fine today.  We had a lot of wind for several hours, gusts to 55 mph, and now it's totally clear and beautiful with a very light breeze.  Thanks for the thoughtfulness!!

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2003, 03:11 pm »
The only thing you could do to a city that would make it attractive to live in for me would be to remove all the people, buildings, roads and make it look like it did before it was a city. :)

I've taken the work close to home route.  I walk about 30ft to my office every morning and go to work.  I feel very fortunate to do so and I think that with technology, more and more people will get that choice over time.

As for the diesel... I didn't know they had fewer hydrocarbon emissions.   How does diesel differ from petro in that you get fewer C-C bonds broken to form CO2 during the combustion process?

tg3

« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2003, 04:11 pm »
I grew up in Florida, where we followed tropical storm developments like some people watch the soaps. Since 1990 I've lived in Seattle, which is thankfully immune from natural disaters...  :roll:

And don't forget the new hybrid vehicles. The latest Toyota Prius quotes 52 mph for city driving, a substantial saving in greenhouse emisions compared to your typical SUV.

Darren Thomas

« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2003, 05:08 pm »
Actually I think people live outside the cities because they can't stand cities.

can't have an acre of land in the city
can't have much privacy in the city
can't stand the people in the city (most of em anyway)
can't stand the traffic in the city
can't stand the buildings in the city
can't stand the pavement in the city
can't stand the damn pigeons in the city
can't stand the taxi's in the city
can't stand the pollution in the city
can't stand the politics in the city
can't stand the noise in the city
can't stand the city period... wouldn't live there if someone paid me millions to do so.

Do you get the feeling I don't like the city? :)

Ravi

« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2003, 07:30 pm »
Darren, couldn't agree more, unfortunately I still live in a city  :?   Still nicer looking than most cities, but it can't hold a candle to living in a small scenic town.

Darren Thomas

« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2003, 07:32 pm »
:lol:

Ravi,

You are one of the guys that live in the city that isn't on my can't stand list :)

Carlman

« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2003, 07:58 pm »
Geez Loweez... I'm not saying this is the only solution... just A solution and a good one at that.  In Southeast DC there are some beautiful neighborhoods with single family homes and nice little yards... maybe a third acre or so.  Would I live in SE DC?  Probably not since I don't need quick access to crack houses and prostitution. (anymore ;))  Most new communities in the middle of nowhere rarely offer more than a third acre for a brand new, single family home.  The builders maximize profits that way.  So, living in the burb's or the country doesn't have the benefit that was once there.

There's a long list of things to dislike about the country, suburbs, etc... which I won't go into....

I have known a lot of people who would live in the city if it didn't have high crime... and it seems all cities do.  There are other hassles involved in city life but, there are in country life and burb life as well.  I'm certainly not saying that this solution is THE solution for everyone.  There isn't such a thing as a 1 answered solution to pollution.

I like the country but, also like the city.  Where I live there isn't much of a 'city' around but, it seems everyone that lives in a nearby town likes to travel to another town to work.  I just moved from a place that was 3 miles to work... now it's 6. It takes me 15 minutes to get to work now where before it only took 4.  (Or ~30 minutes by bike)  I don't feel too bad about it but, most people would think that's a GREAT commute.  It's just unfortunate that that's the way most people think.  I think it's insane if you drive over 30 minutes each way to work EVERY day.  You're not only polluting the air, you're throwing away your life.  (unless you love to drive that particular route)

That's enough rambling for now... back to work....

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 19 Sep 2003, 08:02 pm »
Darren,

I'll bite.  I grew up in South Puget Sound area, in rural Puyallup.  Wouldn't move back there for all the money in the world!  I live in NYC, which is the greatest city (apart from San Diego) in the US.  More culture, arts, education, etc....

can't stand the rednecks in WA
can't stand the weather in WA
can't stand the narrow-mindedness in WA
can't stand the ignorance in WA
can't stand the ultra liberals in WA

So I guess it is all about perspective.  I do like nature and the outdoors and contrary to what you implied, you can have both.

Darren Thomas

« Reply #11 on: 19 Sep 2003, 08:18 pm »
can't stand the rednecks in WA
can't stand the weather in WA
can't stand the narrow-mindedness in WA
can't stand the ignorance in WA
can't stand the ultra liberals in WA

The weather here is quite good now that you left :)

I agree with all the rest though. I won't go into my feelings toward Liberals though as I may insult quite a few Liberals. Lets just say I'm surrounded by them.

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #12 on: 20 Sep 2003, 02:37 pm »
Are there liberals in Washington?   I didn't know... :)

I kind of like the rednecks... they are a little more rational than the liberals and you can at least predict their behavior.  Ignorance seems to be the human condition so I'm not sure your going to escape it anywhere you move.  

Agreed though.... the weather has been outstanding this year.  We went for at least 7 weeks without a drop of rain.  The people around here complained about the heat but after moving from the Midwest I though it was blissfully cool.

Grumpy_Git

Work? whats that?
« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2003, 02:25 pm »
Just thought id add my thoughts to the great debate, hows about public transport? is that derisive laughter i hear, I've just started a new job and if it wasnt for the 'ol train id be stuck commuting for even longer than the 2hours each way i currently do. Bet most of you didnt think england was big enough for a 4 hour round trip! Still im looking to move so i can sleep more and only have a 10 minute walk to work but thatll probably cost more than my salary so will have to see. Maybe i can find a flat share

BTW Ive just seen the british marines new deployment vehice the £500k viking will do upto 50 mph, climb 50 degree slopes jump gaps climb stais and gives a reasonable 3MPG now thats economy!

Nick

Seano

« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2003, 02:40 am »
Well.................

I live in the country.
I will never return to the city (any city). Mainly 'cause I can't afford it.
I own a diesel - and it's a VW (but I've got a V8 too to play with).
We never have hurricanes/cyclones (call them what you will).
We don't have rain either.
We do have liberals and rednecks. We poke them for fun. It's what they're for. They enjoy it.
AKSA's sound better in the bush. No background vibration/harmonics from 50 million people driving cars, flushing toilets and farting in lifts.

AKSA

« Reply #15 on: 22 Sep 2003, 02:53 am »
Y'know Seano,

It's a shame you weren't around when I was growing up in the country, surrounded by people slightly to the right of Alexander the Great....

My years in rural isolation would have been a barrel of laughs - there's only one thing tops a larrikin - a intellectual larrikin!

A great pity we've not yet met.  Come to Melbourne - even if it is in your bloody Range Rover - and I'll gladly put you up a couple of days!  You can count the 'farting lifts' (wonderful line, a kind of modern day Groucho!) as we walk to the local cafe!

Cheers,

Hugh

Seano

« Reply #16 on: 22 Sep 2003, 11:46 pm »
Hey Hugh
I may take you up on that offer in the New Year............but with luck not in the Range Rover. I do know I'll be spending two months in the first half travelling from Perth to Darwin so I may be able to fit Melbourne in there somewhere at some stage (what's a couple of thousand k's?).

By that stage the Rangie should be out of my life.........if I can get it away from my mechanic, who seems to be enjoying playing with it.  He got it going again after I tried and failed to make the logical progression from DIY audio to auto electrician............plugged in the leads into the dizzy but advanced them all one position didn't I. After jamming some new plugs in there too, I now have a very sweet sounding V8. He still doesn't want to give it back.

But it has to go........being in debt is no longer as much fun as it should be and I'd really like to invest further in some audio (and other) toys over the coming couple of years...........another 100N, a GK-1 and the DAKSA would be nice.