power buffer concept

shaynet

• http://www.imfaudio.com
power buffer concept
« on: 8 Dec 2007, 01:12 pm »
A while back, Srajan wrote a very interesting review of the First Watt F4 power buffer (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt6/f4.html).  This device basically adds no gain and either depends on the pre-amp providing gain or even small power amps.   It does, however, add the ability to pass a lot of current.

What really intrigued me was Srajan's musings on using this with low power triode amps (he specifically referenced DHTs).  I wonder how this concept would work with an EM7 style amp?  A power amp combining these stages into a single amp might be kind of "cool".  What do you all think?  Not being an EE, I don't know the pros/cons to this type setup - but I do know that I would love a slice of SET sound with more output capability.   :D

Any thoughts?

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
Re: power buffer concept
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2007, 02:24 pm »
Hear, hear.

Power buffering is of course what all amps do but hybrid amps usually use small-signal valves and feedback in the output stage. The F4 uses no feedback and no voltage gain. To be specific then, the concept would ask for a DHT SET (tube chosen for its sonics rather than output power or drive) coupled to a no-feedback, class A, no voltage-gain transistor buffer, the latter loading the tube to operate optimally. In the external F4 concept, that has to be accomplished with a resistor across the SET outputs which feed the inputs for the follower amp. Perhaps Roger could explain how one would ideally do this in a hybrid circuit designed to work together?

It seems a 45 for example generates a nice amount of gain. If that could be coupled to an impedance and voltage/current converter transistor buffer to give us low output impedance and current, we might hear DHTs in a different light? Of course part of the recognizable SET sound often is a function of high output impedance - and B.K. Butler's Monad A100s sound more transistor than tube, perhaps as a result of it?

Anyway, the SET/F4 combo does sound fantastic, hence here's another plea for at least a concept brief on how to accomplish something equivalent in one single chassis.  :green: