Vinyl listening days are all over

Charles Calkins

Vinyl listening days are all over
« on: 4 Dec 2007, 11:45 pm »
I gotta stop playing LP's. There is something with the pitch and playback that my dog can't stand. When I play an LP he wants to go outside. I mean desperately!!!. Even after I've quit playing an LP I have a very hard time getting him to come back inside. It might take an hour or so to get him back inside. Treats don't do it! He just won't come back in!!
Goofy dog!! Anybody else have this problem with a dog???

Cheers
                                        Charlie

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Vinyl listening days are all over
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2007, 11:53 pm »
No.  My 8 year old Lab/Rott just plops down on the sofa and chills.

chosenhandle

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2007, 12:40 am »
Have you tried playing "you ain't nothin but a hound dog" or something he might relate better to? Maybe its your choice of music.

jose

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2007, 12:51 am »
Your system must be producing frequencies that we humans can't hear but the dog can (somewhere in the 23,000-45,000 Hz range).

Charles Calkins

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2007, 01:00 am »
chosenhandle:

He relates to "Please daddy don't get drunk this Christmas"

Cheers
                            Charlie

Charles Calkins

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2007, 01:01 am »
Jose:

Don't have this problem when I play CD's

Cheers
                                  Charlie

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2007, 01:06 am »
Your system must be producing frequencies that we humans can't hear but the dog can (somewhere in the 23,000-45,000 Hz range).

Hey!

Yup, I think that is the case.

Charlie, BTW... is your speaker have a metal tweeter? And you are using ss amp right? And what cart you do use. Just wonder, but I could be wrong :D

Maybe there is a resonant somewhere up there with your system that cause this.

BTW... my family chihuahua and cat seem find when I listen to my vinyl. Usually my cat Mr. Bubble will come in and chill with me and I think cat do have a much higher hearing than dog.

Well, on the bright side maybe this is a good indication that your system could produce ultrasonic. :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Rashiki

« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2007, 01:07 am »
Charlie:

Do you still have your supertweeters plugged in? If so, try to unplug 'em and see how your dog reacts. His high-frequency hearing is probably much better than ours.

-Rob

texendo

« Reply #8 on: 5 Dec 2007, 01:38 am »
just get a different dog.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #9 on: 5 Dec 2007, 02:04 am »
texendo:

Get a different life.

Cheers
                     Charlie

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 5 Dec 2007, 02:49 am »
Charlie -

I love this post...I've heard a lot of reasons for getting out of vinyl, but yours is truly unique!

CD has a brickwall filter at 19,200 cycles.....vinyl doesn't.  If you have a supertweeter, or even extended range tweeters and you play vinyl, you're dog will actually hear that which we (ie., humans) can only 'feel' or sense.

Your dog may be hearing an unnatural treble peak in the post-20Khz range.  What cartridge are you using again? - and what is your MM section loaded at (47K) and what is the total capacitance of all cables from your cartridge to your phono stage?  Seriously, the fix for your dog might well be properly electrically damping your cartridge so the sound is pleasing to him or her.

Ha - damping a cartridge so that your dog can stand or enjoy it - man, that's rich.  Either I am or you are INSANE  :thumb: :lol:

John

mrdon

« Reply #11 on: 5 Dec 2007, 02:58 am »
I gotta stop playing LP's. There is something with the pitch and playback that my dog can't stand. When I play an LP he wants to go outside. I mean desperately!!!. Even after I've quit playing an LP I have a very hard time getting him to come back inside. It might take an hour or so to get him back inside.                               

You must be using an AT440MLa for a cartridge. LOL!  :lol:

rabpaul

« Reply #12 on: 5 Dec 2007, 06:49 am »
TCG,

Who uses brickwall filters now with the advent of up/oversampling, Non-OS DACs have no filters.
Vinyl has to use RIAA Eq i.e lower frequencies are recorded at lower volumes while the higher frequencies are recorded at higher volumes and this is reversed on playback i.e a curve with these coordinates +20dB@20Hz, 0dB@1Khz, -20dB@20Khz. Nothing higher than 20Hz is put on vinyl (RIAA being the reason) However there are harmonics created by vinyl that in all likelyhood will exceed 20KHz.
So on paper CD is 22.05Khz while Vinyl is 20Khz. As KP would say No Big.

Charlie,
Reduce your playing volume to very very low and then slowly increase to see when your dog begins to react. You may just be playing too loud for his tastes (ears).

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2007, 08:29 am »
I gotta stop playing LP's. There is something with the pitch and playback that my dog can't stand. When I play an LP he wants to go outside. I mean desperately!!!. Even after I've quit playing an LP I have a very hard time getting him to come back inside. It might take an hour or so to get him back inside. Treats don't do it! He just won't come back in!!

Problem solved Charlie....pour him a martini..... :wink:

Good luck....... :beer:

Chris