Cable recommendations for a completely revamped Odyssey system

Christof

I'm starting fresh with my main 2-ch system now that my loft is finally finished.   Klaus is the mastermind behind amplification and preamp.  I'm looking for cable recommendations from the wall out. 

I am currently building a pair of custom Selah TS3's (wwmtm) that need internal wire to and from the high and low pass filters.  I will be biamping these speakers which consist of Seas 10" Aluminum bass units and Seas Nextel mids + SS 6600 tweeter.

Biamping will happen with a Symphonic Line RG1 on high pass and Odyssey Dual Mono's on the low pass.  Amps will be fed from a Candela that Klaus is currently building for me.  My source is PC based.  In the past my system has been a mishmash of components and cables, I would like to start fresh and keep everything matched.  If you folks can recommend cables that you feel will work well with this system I really appreciate your comments.  Please note that I need to be able to source internal wiring for the Selah speakers as well.  I've spent quite a bit so far so I do need to be conscious of my spending on cables.

Thanks
Chris

loki1957

I have a bi amped system where  I use mono statos on the bottom and a tube amp on the top. I use all Jena Labs cables and love them. I use her mid price line as her upper end is too much for me. Her cables give a nice natural sound to my ears anyway.

John151

Klaus uses the Gronenberg cables inside the Lors and the Amps, so why not go that route? 

BTW - I am not big into cable changes, but switching to Gronenberg Quatro cables has made a noticable improvement in my system. 

BobC

I use Groneberg TS Premiums and I'm very happy.  To be honest with you, the thing that attracted me to the cables was the jacket.  You see, I have a cat that likes to chew on my cables  :cuss:  so the heavy plastic jacket solved that problem.  Also they sound great.  Better than the Straightwire connections I used before.  Are they worth the $$$?  Only you can tell.  But for me (and my cat) they were.

Christof

I'm giving very serious thought to Reality and Anti-Cable for the system.  Anyone used either with SL or Odyssey gear.  I would like to hear your comments before I contact Gregg or Paul.

loki1957, I feel the Jena Labs cables are probably supreme cables but unfortunately, because I intend to cable the entire system, I have nowhere near the funds to do so with Jena Labs:?

Thx
c.

bunky

I use Groneberg TS Premiums and I'm very happy.  To be honest with you, the thing that attracted me to the cables was the jacket.  You see, I have a cat that likes to chew on my cables  :cuss:  so the heavy plastic jacket solved that problem.  Also they sound great.  Better than the Straightwire connections I used before.  Are they worth the $$$?  Only you can tell.  But for me (and my cat) they were.

I use the TS Premium IC's and Speaker wire with my Odyssey electronic's. They are true High End cables at reasonable prices.

TomS

I'm giving very serious thought to Reality and Anti-Cable for the system.  Anyone used either with SL or Odyssey gear.  I would like to hear your comments before I contact Gregg or Paul.

loki1957, I feel the Jena Labs cables are probably supreme cables but unfortunately, because I intend to cable the entire system, I have nowhere near the funds to do so with Jena Labs:?

Thx
c.

I now use Reality for all my IC's and SC's and am very satisfied using it with my Odyssey gear and Merlins.  It has speed and transparency that complement the slight warmth of Odyssey nicely IMHO.  This is a yin and yang thing though and is very dependent on individual taste.  I have not tried Odyssey or Anti's in my system.

Bigfish used the Reality at first with Odyssey and SP Tech's and ended up moving to something else.  As you know, the SP's are so linear and totally transparent, it may have been a bit too much (lean and upfront) when combined with the Reality's.

Tom

loki1957

Thx
c.

I'd give them a call before you rule them out

TomS

Also, if you're going to spend Jena kind of money I'd look at the Ridge Street Audio.  Robert is right in your neck of the woods too :)

Lkdog

You might consider Grover Huffman IC's.
I have his Grover S graphite jacket versions.
He has a newer SC version that is supposedly quite good.

I think they mate well with Odyssey gear.

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=662.0

Here is link with comments. I think they are about $225/meter.

« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2007, 02:24 am by Lkdog »

tlarson2002

Hi Chris,

I am using Anti-cables and Anti-IC's (Eichman bullets) and am very happy with the result. My rig consists of mono extreme SE's with the new thick board, Candela pre and Lorelei's. I feel Spelz's producst are very neutral and transparent. With that said I have not used a lot of different cables, I can only tell you I am very happy with these. Hope it helps!

Tony

Christof

I spoke with Robert at Ridge Street today...what a cable guy :o His cables are a bit too rich for me at the moment but he gave me some very good ideas and demystified a few things for me :thumb:

Thanks for your input I will continue to investigate.  I'm also interested to know why you feel certain cables did not work in your systems.

Thanks
c.

pfradale

(Donning flame-retardant suit) Why not go down to your local audio shop and get a basic, cheap set of ICs? FWIW I have Lambda Acoustics Unity horns&TD-S15s with( >92dB/W/m sensitivity) /monobloc Stratos/Tempest/Sony SCD-1. I have set up several IC and speaker connect tests with local audio folk; there has been no definitive relationship between cables and sound and we are a fairly picky bunch. Room acoustics, speaker placement, yes. SACD vs CD, mostly yes. Cables? Not so much.

Christof

(Donning flame-retardant suit) Why not go down to your local audio shop and get a basic, cheap set of ICs? FWIW I have Lambda Acoustics Unity horns&TD-S15s with( >92dB/W/m sensitivity) /monobloc Stratos/Tempest/Sony SCD-1. I have set up several IC and speaker connect tests with local audio folk; there has been no definitive relationship between cables and sound and we are a fairly picky bunch. Room acoustics, speaker placement, yes. SACD vs CD, mostly yes. Cables? Not so much.

I do have a number of fairly decent IC's and speaker cables including ZU Warmouth IC's, Wax speaker cables, Groneberg Speaker Cables, Kora Cables, and even more cheapie cables, although some may consider them all cheap  :roll:....in the end it adds up to a little of everything and alot of nothing.    What I am trying to achieve is a balanced or somewhat balanced cable system in terms of resistance, capacitance, inductance & impedance.  I can type these terms but I have little knowledge of how it actually works.  I believe one could assemble a cable system using the very best offerings of X brand, Y brand and Z brand in Copper, Silver, using escoteric dielectrics and geometry and ultimately end up with such an overpriced, mismatched system that the only thing accomplished would be bragging rights to "Brand Names" and wasted $.  I simply do not have the money to randomly play with so many variables in the cable equation which is why, since I'm starting fresh (new room, new amps, new preamp....), I would like to assemble a cable "system" which, while far from being perfect, might save me a little $ and headache in the long run and as Pfradale mentioned focus on the bigger picture including my room (another subject all together :duh:).  c.

Christof

:thumb:

Once I get the amps from Klaus and get the Selah speakers built I'll give Gregg a try. 

TomS

Here is a bunch of nice Reality Cables that just went up for sale.  No affiliation with the seller here.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?cablintr&1202103792

Tom

lazydays

here's what I found out worked best with my mono SE's, but then again they may not matchup well with your speakers. I don't know.
* 6 1/2 foot pair of Kimbers for the speakers.
* Gronenberg IC's between the preamp and the amps
* Vandenhul phono cable (maybe a real killer)
* Zu's for all digital paths and phono to preamp
I use Gronenberg powercords for the amps, but use a Stealth for the preamp.
All the other sources are a hodgepodge of this and that. I'd like to change out all the power cords for the digital sources to something shielded and a little better.
gary

Christof

I've decided to go with a complete Groneberg cable system from the electrical outlet to speaker drivers.  Because my Dual Mono amps are built with Groneberg wire (not sure about the Symphonic Line) and the new Candela preamp has Groneberg wire it only made sense to follow through with Groneberg wire.  Gregg at Reality Cable was very generous and offered to let me audition his cables in my system and I do plan to take him up on this however, because everything in my system including my room is new to me I need to establish a reference and I've chosen Klaus's products for this.  Thanks for the great advice you folks have given along with the offers I've received on preowned cables from many of you folks, this is a tight group :thumb:.

lazydays

I do have a number of fairly decent IC's and speaker cables including ZU Warmouth IC's, Wax speaker cables, Groneberg Speaker Cables, Kora Cables, and even more cheapie cables, although some may consider them all cheap  :roll:....in the end it adds up to a little of everything and alot of nothing.    What I am trying to achieve is a balanced or somewhat balanced cable system in terms of resistance, capacitance, inductance & impedance.  I can type these terms but I have little knowledge of how it actually works.  I believe one could assemble a cable system using the very best offerings of X brand, Y brand and Z brand in Copper, Silver, using escoteric dielectrics and geometry and ultimately end up with such an overpriced, mismatched system that the only thing accomplished would be bragging rights to "Brand Names" and wasted $.  I simply do not have the money to randomly play with so many variables in the cable equation which is why, since I'm starting fresh (new room, new amps, new preamp....), I would like to assemble a cable "system" which, while far from being perfect, might save me a little $ and headache in the long run and as Pfradale mentioned focus on the bigger picture including my room (another subject all together :duh:).  c.

a few years back we ran some tests on various brands of wire for interference and signal carrying ability. The two best without question were from TPC and Alpha. Yet none will ever show up in an audio system (they names are not catchy enough). We tested everything from Beldon all the way thru the gamut. What we did also discover was that the connectors have more todo with signal path than the wire envolved. That's why all my amps and preamps use WBT's, and every cable I buy uses them too.
gary