Behringer DCX2496 For A Monitor High Pass Filter

Tweaker

Behringer DCX2496 For A Monitor High Pass Filter
« on: 2 Dec 2007, 09:30 pm »
I have a sub/sat system and would like to add an active high pass filter. There does not seem to be a lot of options out there and so I was wondering if the Behringer unit would be worth trying. My sub has a built in crossover so I only need the Behringer to do high pass duties.
Thanks!

TomS

Re: Behringer DCX2496 For A Monitor High Pass Filter
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2007, 09:33 pm »
It would certainly work, but the DCX works at "pro" levels and has some gain you'd have to deal with.  Also, all I/O is XLR though you can easily run them single ended with XLR-RCA converters.  Seems like a lot of trouble for just a high pass.

Have you considered something simpler like the Paradigm X-30, about $100 used?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2007, 10:43 pm »

Tweaker

« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2007, 10:47 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far. It looks as though there are more options than I was aware of.
Lin, have you tied the filters you've linked to?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2007, 10:53 pm »

Lin, have you tried the filters you've linked to?

No, but I found this:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=42864.0
and I have seen other posts about them on the ACI forum like this:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=41737.0

Lin :)

mfsoa

« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2007, 11:31 pm »
Tweaker,
Although I don't have a sub/sat system, I've been thinking of going this way and have been asking myself this same question and would appreciate anyone's comments.

Take a look at http://www.marchandelec.com/xm46.html.

There is a lot of info at the Marchand site - so much flexibility it's a little intimidating. The Marchand name does keep coming up around here.

Let us know what else you find out!

-Mike

Tweaker

« Reply #6 on: 3 Dec 2007, 12:09 am »
The Marchand was one I was aware of. I considered the XM46SB but I'm not sure if I want to go passive or not plus I can't find any info on what kind of return policy they have, if any. Guess I need to call. I've discovered  Hsu Research has an active high pass that looks interesting. It's inexpensive and they have a 30 day return policy:
 http://hsuresearch.com/products/high-pass-filter.html

Tweaker

« Reply #7 on: 3 Dec 2007, 08:22 pm »
I just ordered the Hsu high pass filter. $100.00, 30-day money back, I figured it's worth trying out. From what little I could find out about it on the internet it's supposedly is very transparent. We shall see.

Tweaker

« Reply #8 on: 4 Dec 2007, 10:59 am »
I also ordered a pair of ACI high pass filters (85Hz). $29.00 plus shipping, what the heck. I'll be interesting to see which sounds best in my system.

Tweaker

« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2007, 11:48 pm »
Well, I've had the Hsu High Pass Filter in my system for a couple of days and have got to say that it is, for the most part, fairly transparent. It does kind of screw up the high frequencies, though, making them sound kind of thin and anemic which I can't live with. Don't mess with my cymbals! It has a cheap wallwort ps which probably needs replacing ala the Squeezebox to really have a chance at sounding good. I'll be getting the ACI filters Tuesday. Hopefully they will be the ticket as I'm pretty sure the Hsu is not going to be staying very long.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2007, 11:51 pm »
Thanks for the update Tweaker.

Lin

Tweaker

« Reply #11 on: 10 Dec 2007, 12:18 am »
 I really am thinking that the Hsu could be a great little crossover if it were to get in the hands of someone like Wayne from Bolder Cables for him to do his thing. The other thing that is most likely holding it back, beside the power supply, is that there is a volume control. Get rid of that, build a better ps and some internal parts upgrades and it would probably be able to do it's intended job completely unobtrusively. As it is now, it's close. It really does make a big difference relieving the amps and speakers from low bass duties. The system sounds amazingly unrestrained at very high volumes with the Hsu inline. Just have to find one that can do it transparently. If the ACI filters don't then I'll try the Marchand next.

Tweaker

« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2007, 11:09 pm »
I've had the ACI filters in my system for almost a week now and can confidently report that they are absolutely neutral in every way shape or form, that I've been able to tell. With the speakers and amps relieved of low bass duties there is a significant increase in clarity at any volume I would care to listen to. Highly recommended to anyone out there with a sub/sat system.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #13 on: 16 Dec 2007, 11:20 pm »
verry interesting - thanks for keeping us informed. :thumb:

Jampot

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2008, 04:07 pm »
Been a month, Teaker -

Still happy with the ACI filters?

Thanks

Jim

drphoto

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jan 2008, 04:23 pm »
Another happy user of the ACI passives. They seem neutral and transparent to me, but even if not perfectly so, I feel like I'm gaining more than I'm losing. Used w/ Merlin TSM-M, which are being sent back to factory, and temporarily w/ Onix Ref.1. I've had them for around a year now.