Basic DHT SE amp on a budget

floobydust

Re: Basic DHT SE amp on a budget
« Reply #80 on: 14 May 2008, 01:00 pm »
 Yes, balance pot close to the tube socket. Use a tightly twisted pair of wires.... filament transformer to tube socket and balance pot to tube socket.

Regards, KM

floobydust

« Reply #81 on: 3 Jun 2008, 03:17 pm »
 All, sorry I've not completed the second amplifier for listening tests... business had has me out of the country for some time (I'm in Oslo now). Once I return home (12th June) I should have the second amplifier completed within a week and will get some additional testing and fine tuning completed.. including some listening tests. Once done, I'll get an updated schematic, specs and mechanical layout to anyone who wants it.

Regards, KM

ST-2A3

« Reply #82 on: 9 Sep 2008, 10:51 pm »

I am looking forward to viewing the schematic. I have built a 2A3 SET amp, based on Joseph Esmilla's (JE LABS) schematic diagram. The sound is excellent coming from the Klipsch LaScalas.

floobydust

« Reply #83 on: 10 Sep 2008, 05:06 pm »
 Sent you the set of schematics and BOM list... hopefully you've received it by now.

Regards, KM

floobydust

« Reply #84 on: 8 Oct 2008, 05:53 am »
 Finally!

Okay, I completed the second chassis, burned them in for 10 hours or so and have done listening. In short, I guess I have to be a bit biased, but in all honesty these are very nice.... even with cheap 125ESE outputs they sound far better than Hammond iron has any right to sound. They are not in the same league as my top-end Hashimoto-based 45 amps, but these are also a mere fraction of the (parts) cost. I can easily say that the cost difference is far greater than the sonic difference, but that's typical diminishing returns in the high-end audio arena.

Spec-wise, they're right on target:
Maximum output: 2-watts minimum into 8- or 16-ohms (switchable)
Freq Response: 30Hz - 30KHz within 1dB at 1-watt output (at 2-watts, low frequency response suffers due to OPT)
Distortion: less than 0.5% at 1-watt and less than 1.5% at full power
Signal/Noise: 75dB unweighted referenced to 1-watt output

These should be very reliable as all parts used are high-quality and none are stressed. This design should yield an exceptional long life. Overall, these are a bargain for the price, which equates to ~$250 in parts per (mono) chassis sans tubes. I fitted a set of NOS Tung-Sol 12AT7 input/drivers and a NOS pair of Philco 45 ST glass outputs. The 45 actually yields the S/N spec. I have poor ones which won't drop below 60dB and some superb ones that are pushing the 90dB mark.... with AC filaments.

I'll get the next pair built (mid-December) with the MQ RH-40 end-belled units and am expecting a full step or two better.

Regards, KM