stelath amp

RooX

stelath amp
« on: 16 Sep 2003, 03:53 pm »
Hey all,

Hasanyone done any reviews on the stealth amp? it looks like an interesting design, i love the fact it can be retubed for around 20 bucks.  I have yet to see any listening impressions anywere on the net, although the preamps all seem highly regarded.  Mapletree: any cahnce you would senda set of the momos out on a cross canada demo tour?  (its worth a shot :) )  

cheers,
Colin

Dr. Lloyd

• http://www.mapletreeaudio.com
MAD Stealth monoblocs
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2003, 01:31 pm »
Despite a brisk business in preamps and headphone amps, I have nly sold 2 sets of Stealths--one set to NYC and the other to a customer in Edmonton--both assembled units. Although both customers were very pleased with the results (they also purchased MAD preamps), there are, as noted, no formal reviews published. I use a pair in my bi-amped system above 500 Hz. It is hard to promote an amplifier these days which doesn't follow the current trends. The Stealth is low power but push-pull (beam power tetrodes in non-ultralinear class A), has global negative feedback, and uses unfamiliar tubes (but in a classic Mullard-type circuit). If it were SET, with zero feedback, using popular triodes . . . . However, the MAD policy for assembled components is a 10 day trial with refund of purchase price less shipping. So you can give them a trial/review with not much risk (I haven't had any returns of any component based on this offer by the way).

Cheers,

Lloyd