Does anybody have the new H21 or HR21 DirecTV HD receivers?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Just looking for any comments or thoughts.

Thanks,

George

Scott F.

Re: Does anybody have the new H21 or HR21 DirecTV HD receivers?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2007, 03:31 am »
Hiya George,

I don't have the 21 but I've got the HR20. From what I've read, about the only thing differing besides the color and being rack mountable, it has a larger hard disk plus the HDMI interface is fiber. The code is still MPEG-4.

That said, I love my HR20. I haven't had any of the dropout issues I've read about. Resolution is very good (on my Mits 62628). Color on the other hand can be a little rough depending on what station you are watching. Although I haven't tried to hack the HR20 to adjust the colors, they can go from breathtaking (NGC and Disc) to a heavy red push from some of the movie channels. The DVR works well although I'd like to see a two hour jump rather than a 12 hour jump when viewing the program guide (trying to set what I'll record). Overall the sound is fine, not great but just fine.

Don't know if that was the feedback you were looking for but I hope that helps.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2007, 03:52 am »
I too have a HR20-100 HD DVR and I love this unit. Very open rack friendly and runs at a cool 103 degrees compared to the -700 model which runs at a much hotter 120degrees. The HR-21 is a rack mount unit, quite larger then the HR20's and not nearly as good looking imo. A larger hard drive isn't a big deal as you can connect a larger external hard drive on the HR20's. The feature I like the best on the HR20 is the 30 second skip, useful for skipping commercials. I've yet to have any recording issues with either SD or HD. The dolby digital varies a lot in the amount of speakers that are actually involved,,, anywhere from 1 to 5,,,very strange. I've heard tell that the HR21 has 1080P available also and  this receiver is more geared for the professional home theater installation. Now that I think about it, that sorta sound like you George.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

electricbear

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2007, 02:55 pm »
The 21 does not have a built in terrestrial hd tuner. It also no longer has a coaxial digital out or an rf out.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2007, 11:51 am »
The 21 does not have a built in terrestrial hd tuner. It also no longer has a coaxial digital out or an rf out.

HR21-ATSC SOLUTION Supply Chain and Engineering are working on an ATSC solution for the HR21. The solution will be external to the unit (not integrated) and is on target to be available in early 2008. Your voices have been heard and we will keep you posted on next steps and timing. Please contact your Director or Regional Vice President if you have any comments or concerns.

Cheers,
Robin

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2007, 11:54 am »
Thanks guys.

Now I just need to decide if I want to add any equipment and incur a new two year commitment.

George

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2007, 01:53 pm »
Let's face it, DirecTv's just the first to switch over to HD content, cable & Dish won't be far behind. Just the fact that I'm a sports hound had me signing up to D* in august. Real sweet HD pictures, almost as good as my C-band HD where I'm still getting my premium channels from. I'm hearing that there's a component version of the HR-21 w/o the rack attachments. I'd probably be looking to switch receivers myself if I actually needed the HDMI connection. Whatever you do if you'll have the slimline dish installed, make it the shortest possible cable run you can. Signal strength is a lot more fickle with HD than SD, the shorter the run the stroner your signal. i'mon the fringe myself with around 75' and I'll lose my HD signal farely quickly when it's raining while still holding on to the SD. The installer warned me to expect this but I had no choice as a house mount wasn't possible and I needed a ground pole.  :roll:

Meet the twins: Danny & Arnold,  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2007, 02:06 pm »
Let's face it, DirecTv's just the first to switch over to HD content, cable & Dish won't be far behind. Just the fact that I'm a sports hound had me signing up to D* in august. Real sweet HD pictures, almost as good as my C-band HD where I'm still getting my premium channels from. I'm hearing that there's a component version of the HR-21 w/o the rack attachments. I'd probably be looking to switch receivers myself if I actually needed the HDMI connection. Whatever you do if you'll have the slimline dish installed, make it the shortest possible cable run you can. Signal strength is a lot more fickle with HD than SD, the shorter the run the stroner your signal. i'mon the fringe myself with around 75' and I'll lose my HD signal farely quickly when it's raining while still holding on to the SD. The installer warned me to expect this but I had no choice as a house mount wasn't possible and I needed a ground pole.  :roll:

Meet the twins: Danny & Arnold,  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

Robin,

I have been on the "slimline/five way" dish for almost two years now.

I currently have 9 runs coming from my dish to the rest of the house (mostly HD) and some of my runs are definitely over 75'.  I don't lose my signal that often and it has worked pretty well.

I started this thread because I have added a few more HD monitors and need to switch out my last couple of SD receivers.

While I think Verizon FIOS will deliver an as good or better picture at a similar cost, they don't have the sports content I require so I can't switch "now".  I can't predict the future, which is why I don't want to get sucked into a 2 year commitment.

George

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2007, 02:17 pm »
I'd be mighty surprised if it took Verizon FIOS to get up to speed on their HD/sports content. It might pay to hound them some on the subject before commiting. But if you already have a standing HD account with DirecTv, simply replacing SD receivers with HD models won't extend any commitments would it? I always thought those commitments were for new accounts, not established one?

Cheers,
Robin

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2007, 02:19 pm »
I'd be mighty surprised if it took Verizon FIOS to get up to speed on their HD/sports content. It might pay to hound them some on the subject before commiting. But if you already have a standing HD account with DirecTv, simply replacing SD receivers with HD models won't extend any commitments would it? I always thought those commitments were for new accounts, not established one?

Cheers,
Robin

Robin,

I have been with DTV for about 9 years now.

Adding any hardware at this point automatically extends your commitment two years and you also don't own the hardware.  You will need to give back the hardware when you leave.

George

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2007, 02:30 pm »
Yea but you said you were replacing, not adding,,,, right?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 29 Nov 2007, 02:43 pm »
Yea but you said you were replacing, not adding,,,, right?

Yup.

George

invicta51

« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2007, 02:29 am »
I just had the HD upgrade package installed including the MPEG4 H21 receiver.  It added 2 years on my contract.  No OTA antenna for local HD and digital channels.  I can plug that antenna into the TV to get that feature back.  Color seems comparable or better than the previous Samsung HD HD MPEG2 receiver.  Does anyone know the remote control code that I can program into my universal remote?  I called Directv and they said there is none.