Power filter for 7B SST?

Sasha

Power filter for 7B SST?
« on: 25 Nov 2007, 03:31 pm »
I got dirty power, having amps plugged into the outlet directly results in loss of soundstage and imaging.
I have 2KVA Equitech with balanced output, having amps plugged into it takes care completely of power and imaging is the best I ever heard, however amps are restrained in dynamics.
Is there a relatively inexpensive filter that would be good for these amps, short of big Torus conditioners?
I tried Tripp Lite power filter/protection bar, it did not do sufficient cleaning as does Equitech.
Note that I only have 110V/15A outlets.

Sasha

Re: Power filter for 7B SST?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2007, 04:13 pm »
I should add, at night (e.g. 2AM in the morning) it sounds very good, at day time it is a mess.
Anyone tried those PS audio power regenerators, would they provide sufficent power for 7B SST?
Note that my room is ~ 17X19 ft, so amps do not have to be driven too hard to fill it up.

nuhi

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2007, 11:45 am »
Many of us fallen to the same trick and bought power filters when in essence it is you who hears the music differently at 2AM in the morning, not the change in the system.
Try to search around that issue, main point is there is less background noise from the city, low volume level because you can't crank it up that late, ears relaxed, hormones, mood in general.

And yeah with choked power amp it tends to bring the midrange forward to seem like a better imaging but it's terrible.

PS Audio has a fan in it, while powering 7B SST, and choking it, it would probably turn the fan on as well.

Russ-R

« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2007, 11:59 am »
I suggest you contact Garth Powell at Furman he is a man who will explain what you are experiencing and why,without BS :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2007, 01:21 pm »
Hi,

You do not want to put anything in front of the amplifier which will limit INSTANTANIOUS CURRENT draw. The ideal condition for big amplifiers is a very LOW IMPEDANCE - HIGH CURRENT power source.

james

Sasha

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2007, 04:25 pm »
Hi,

You do not want to put anything in front of the amplifier which will limit INSTANTANIOUS CURRENT draw. The ideal condition for big amplifiers is a very LOW IMPEDANCE - HIGH CURRENT power source.

james

James,

I understand, so my question is, who makes such filters/conditioners that will remove noise from AC and at the same time provide low impedance and high current source to amps?
Or, can the low impedance / high current be quantified, are there specific figures that would indicate a given conditioner would be within desired parameters for 7B SST?

Thanks,
Sasha

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2007, 04:38 pm »
Hi,

james

James,

I understand, so my question is, who makes such filters/conditioners that will remove noise from AC and at the same time provide low impedance and high current source to amps?
Or, can the low impedance / high current be quantified, are there specific figures that would indicate a given conditioner would be within desired parameters for 7B SST?

Thanks,
Sasha

Hi Sasha,

Torus power isolation units solve all of the above issues.

A 4B can attempt to instantaniously draw 48 amps peak on transients at 200 watts on a 120 volt/15 amp outlet.

james