'No Country for Old Men'

Folsom

Re: 'No Country for Old Men'
« Reply #40 on: 5 Jan 2008, 09:24 pm »
Yeah I suppose that that the Mexicans may not of got the satchel. I want to watch again because it MIGHT of been on the desk thing next to the door, it was that or the TV.

To think about it whoever was already in the vehicle the Mexicans were driving probably did not have the satchel, based on they stayed in it to make sure they could get away, a get away driver/s.

Tommy Lee Jones looked at it with interest because it told him Chigurh showed up for sure. It did look like Tommy Lee Jones might of seen something through the doorknob, but there was not enough light to really be sure. However this would explain even more so why he KNEW it was time to retire, if he knew he was inside and thought he went out the back window, but did not, and he figured out the one place in the world he would of been, and how stupid it was not too look...

The accountant is almost hard to say, because Chigurh operates in an interesting way. If the guy did not see him he would not kill him based on his principles, however Chigurh as seen with the gas station clerk is quiet adept to talking people into real information because he knows when they are lying usually.

The perfect tool still has to survive on his own. The reality of the perfect tool actually getting shot and hurt is much better than being all too invincible. I think it makes him a stronger tool that he can survive that way, that he can address the problems that arise. It is still interesting of a solitude factor that is well pretty much new to movies in this manner, of course the Coen brothers started it. I suppose you could even say the lack of Moss's camera footage that would traditionally be used in a plot with the setting as such, to be an attribute to not making a hero of any sort, just a guy on the good side is a guy, builds strength to Chigurh's screen time, but creating a situation where neither are the focal point. What might be even more interesting is the fact that Tommy Lee Jones is not only in the middle, but a Police officer, an instrument of control, that fails. The deputy's story (old guy) even goes to point this sort of thing out, the horrendousies that are not all new and lack of control with it.

The focal point of the movie must of been literally telling the story as best as possible instead of investing in characters. What a rarity to see a concept like that in something like a movie.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #41 on: 6 Jan 2008, 06:17 am »
Fantastic views, fellas, just fantastic!!. Damn right, Heads!  Speaking of "Once Upon A Time In The West", how bad can a dude be??  Three hitters are waiting for Charles Bronson at the train station.  One dude is annoyed by a fly.  When the fly lands nearby, dude draws his gun from his holster while seated and captures the fly in his gun barrel (say what?), in his gun barrel!!  Now, lest you think dude might have been off a hair and squashed the fly, he's plays with the fly in his barrel before sucking it down his gullet.  CB dismounts from the train and after it passes, all go for their guns.  Not a one of the three dudes even clears his holster!!  OK, back to topic. 
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2008, 07:02 am by jimdgoulding »

Folsom

« Reply #42 on: 6 Jan 2008, 07:07 am »
Fantastic views, fellas, just fantastic!!. Damn right, Heads!  Speaking of "Once Upon A Time In The West", how bad can a dude be??  Three hitters are waiting for Charles Bronson at the train station.  One dude is annoyed by a fly.  When the fly lands nearby, dude draws his gun from his holster while seated and captures the fly in his gun barrel (say what?), in his gun barrel!!  Now, lest you think dude might have been off a hair and squashed the fly, he's plays with the fly in his barrel before sucking it down his gullet.  CB dismounts from the train and after it passes, all go for their guns.  Not a one of the three dudes even clears his holster!!  OK, back to topic. 

There are people in real life that are that fast. I like Bruce Lee, I like his speed, but the truth is the fastest shooters could put one through each nipple and eyeball before Bruce Lee could get into striking distance (he is very fast, at 3-5 feet he can hit someone, or could, in under a second). I still prefer the marvel of human ability as opposed to instrument though. Sorry for off topic.

Now when No Country for Old Men comes out on DVD do I buy a Blu-ray copy, HD copy, or regular widescreen? I can watch the widescreen one, but I want to own the movie in the future. I suppose most of my non HD's that are superbit or just good DVD's looks pretty darn well anyways though...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #43 on: 6 Jan 2008, 08:08 am »
Des-  I don't know about that. . . I just thought is was ridiculous and funny.  Don't know what you should buy if you are serious.  I'm still lookin at analog.  But, I expect to buy an HDTV soon with an Oppo player.  So, I'll probably get the best version for that.  I hope this isn't the end of the No Country debate.  I'm startin to think of it as classic Greek theatre. 

Ears

« Reply #44 on: 20 Jan 2008, 03:41 pm »

There are people in real life that are that fast. I like Bruce Lee, I like his speed, but the truth is the fastest shooters could put one through each nipple and eyeball before Bruce Lee could get into striking distance (he is very fast, at 3-5 feet he can hit someone, or could, in under a second). I still prefer the marvel of human ability as opposed to instrument though. Sorry for off topic.

Now when No Country for Old Men comes out on DVD do I buy a Blu-ray copy, HD copy, or regular widescreen? I can watch the widescreen one, but I want to own the movie in the future. I suppose most of my non HD's that are superbit or just good DVD's looks pretty darn well anyways though...

Blu-ray only for this release, and I agree it's a very good movie.

PhilNYC

« Reply #45 on: 5 Feb 2008, 09:28 pm »
Definitely enjoyed this movie....

EDS_

« Reply #46 on: 5 Feb 2008, 09:52 pm »
honesthoff alluded to Cormac McCarthy the author of "NCFOM".  Read the book.  Or maybe read McCarthy's book "The Road" first. Many parallel themes very different stories.

I believe McCarthy is now the greatest living American author.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #47 on: 26 Mar 2008, 05:07 am »
Rented this for a second viewing.  Yeah, he shot the wife.  He checks to see if there is blood on the soles of his shoes as he leaves the house.  And yeah, he has the money.  The Mexicans left the motel in a hurry- empty handed- as TLJ pointed out.  And yeah, bad guy was in the motel room and no, TLJ didn't know it.  He saw the vent off the AC and thought he had been there alright, but earlier and had gone.  TLJ was mystified by all this and retired to ponder WTF.  Only the accountant is left to the imagination.  That, and WHO WAS THIS DUDE?

Folsom

« Reply #48 on: 26 Mar 2008, 06:45 am »
Rented this for a second viewing.  Yeah, he shot the wife.  He checks to see if there is blood on the soles of his shoes as he leaves the house.  And yeah, he has the money.  The Mexicans left the motel in a hurry- empty handed- as TLJ pointed out.  And yeah, bad guy was in the motel room and no, TLJ didn't know it.  He saw the vent off the AC and thought he had been there alright, but earlier and had gone.  TLJ was mystified by all this and retired to ponder WTF.  Only the accountant is left to the imagination.  That, and WHO WAS THIS DUDE?

Yes but was the money on the TV/dresser top next to the door in the case? !

jimdgoulding

« Reply #49 on: 26 Mar 2008, 06:59 am »
Well, you got me there, Des.  I didn't notice that.  The El Paso police would have already done the crime scene.  Oh! I get it.  That wouldn't have been there if they had and you're sayin TLJ would have known that.  Then he decided to quit while he was ahead, right?  Oh, that is good.  You know you're the devil.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2008, 07:14 am by jimdgoulding »

Folsom

« Reply #50 on: 26 Mar 2008, 04:01 pm »
I am not sure if TLJ would of noticed that but there is a chance of it. He made more expression when he got to the bathroom, instead of realizing the guy was behind him. Perhaps the case did let him know for sure the guy was there, but I think it was the open door.

We all were just trying to figure out where Chigur freaking had the case! It would be hard to fit it behind the door, and I thought it was on the TV/dresser stand, but do not remember.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #51 on: 1 Nov 2008, 07:47 pm »
Where was Chigurh when Bell went back to the El Paso motel room?
Chigurh was in the motel room. Bell and Chigurh see each other's reflection in the shot-out lock (this is explicit in the screenplay). The next scene is key: when Bell enters the room he only 'sees' his own shadow and the unscrewed vent. (This scene explains why the accountant in a previous scene had a part at all: to explain that Chigurh doesn't shoot people who don't 'see' him). It is implied that Bell does encounter Chigurh and takes the coward's way out by agreeing that he never saw Chigurh. (Unlike the brave but dead girl who would not give in to the coin toss). This interpretation explains many aspects of the film, including his dreams (guilt over letting Chigurh get away with the money) and the scene where he says that he tries not to lie, but sometimes you have to. He is the storyteller, as the narration makes clear, and this part of the story is a lie.

Not my words- found this somewhere- but a pretty definitive take on the motel room scene.  The money was in the vent.  The Mexicans didn't know that and left in a big hurry without it.  Even Bell commented that they looked empty handed as their truck burned outta there.  That's why Chigurh was there.  This is an old thread but I thought this take was worth adding for fans of the flick.  The way the Coen Bros played with our imagination is part of their genius.