Adding Burson Buffer to BP25 and 4B SST

john1970

Adding Burson Buffer to BP25 and 4B SST
« on: 22 Nov 2007, 01:02 am »
Dear Bryston Owners,

I am considering the purchase of a Burson buffer to go between my CD player and my preamp.  My system is as follows:

CD Player: Marantz CD5001
Preamp: Bryston BP25 with MPS1 power supply
Amp: Bryston 4B SST
Speakers: VMPS RM40s (MLS cabinets, TRT caps, silver wiring, external crossovers)
Wire/Interconnects: Blue Jeans Cables throughout the system

Will this device make a noticeable improvement?  I know it will provide an additional 6 dB of gain, but I more interested in differences in sound.

Thanks,

John

brucek

Re: Adding Burson Buffer to BP25 and 4B SST
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2007, 01:55 am »
Will this device make a noticeable improvement?  I know it will provide an additional 6 dB of gain, but I more interested in differences in sound.
Can't see any reason you would require any more gain than the BP25 provides.
I only needed to read the first three or four paragraphs of the web site for the Burson Buffer to know it will not improve your sound.

brucek

DSK

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2007, 09:48 pm »
John,

There are some other Burson Buffer related threads open at the moment that you might like to read as they have some useful info and comments from people that have actually heard the Buffer.

In most systems, the reason for buying the Buffer is NOT to add more gain.

Don't worry about the Burson website. I suspect that English is a second language for most of the Burson crew and their website content is unfortunately poorly/wrongly explained. If you make purchasing decisions based just on the website you may be doing yourself a disservice.

I'd insert the links for you but I'm running off to work. Good luck!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2007, 01:34 am »
Hi All,

So explain to me what the Burson Buffer is meant to do?

james

sts9fan

« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2007, 02:02 am »
it seems that most of the people who enjoy this  product are using modded gear with decreased output. The advertised intent is impedace matching.

john1970

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2007, 12:33 am »
it seems that most of the people who enjoy this  product are using modded gear with decreased output. The advertised intent is impedace matching.

To all,

It is my understanding (from reading Burson's website and other reveiws) that the buffer is designed to match impedances between CD players and preamps.  It is also my understanding that it supplies an additional 6 dB of gain.  I've also noticed (as the quote mentions) that many of the people using this product use modded gear with decreased output.  Given the large gain of the BP25 and 4B SST I am curious if I will hear any difference with and without the buffer since I don't need the additonal 6 dB of gain.

Cheers,

John

Philistine

« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2007, 01:19 am »
Hi John, I used to own both the BP25 and 4BSST and they match very well together (as so they should),
I have a modded SB3 that benefits from having the BB in the chain, and have an unmodded BB on demo and liked what it added.

I don't know your CDP or what you are looking for, but I would first of all try a different approach and get a Rega Apollo on home demo and compare with the Marantz.  The Rega has great reviews across the board.  The reason I suggest this is that I had a $3k Sony XA777ES that I hated, and tried tube buffers to improve the sound but finished up changing the Sony to a modded CDP to get the improvement I was looking for.