What finish is your Boltz media rack?

bubba966

« on: 15 Sep 2003, 11:42 pm »
I think I'm finally going to order a MM-252 or MM-504 at the end of the week. I've got waaaaaaay to many DVD's in piles around the room.

But I'm not yet sure what finish I want.

The clear coat is probably what I'll go with. Though the anthracite might be a possibility. But the black matte isn't really doing anything for me.

I can't recall ever seeing any Boltz shelving in person, so all I've got to go by are the little pictures on their site.

So what finish are you using, and are you happy with it?

Brad

« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2003, 11:56 pm »
I've got the clear coat and I like it, but I like the anthracite, too.

Nice sale they're having right now.
Time for a 330 plus add-on 330.
 :idea:

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2003, 11:58 pm »
Clear coat here as well. A local dealer carries the Boltz line and I have seen the anthracite as well. Quite nice but I like the clear coat/natural steel look.

bob82274

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2003, 04:24 am »
I ended up with the Clear Coat MM-252 and I'm loving it!  This is the first piece of furniture that I have had that keeps getting oohs and ahhs...

I liked the the other grey coating but it was too dark for my taste.  I liked the brushed metal look and this one does a great job with it.  I would say though that its best that you mount it to a wall when you do it.  It is fairly unstable otherwise.

Bwanagreg

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2003, 02:36 pm »
I think it really depends on your decor and taste, but I have the black and love it. It is set against a white wall with a red library-style commercial carpet in my dedicated media room. I wanted a more trditional or antique look - the other finishes are very high-tech looking in my opinion.

I think if you match any of the finishes to the rest of you decor you can't go wrong.

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2003, 04:05 pm »
I have a 600 CD clear coat boltz rack but I am thinking of selling it.  My wife wants me to build a wooden rack to got into our future entertainment center.

mca

« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2003, 08:15 pm »
If you are in Seattle, you may want to call up The Good Guys and see if they still carry them. I know they were stocking them as of last Summer, but not sure if they still do or not.

bubba966

« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2003, 06:41 pm »
Quote from: mca
If you are in Seattle, you may want to call up The Good Guys and see if they still carry them. I know they were stocking them as of last Summer, but not sure if they still do or not.

Well, I stopped by their Lynnwood store yesterday. They had a clear coat CD-600 on display.

Didn't look too bad. But I was expecting a bit... nicer finish maybe? But I think the clear coat will give me too many reflection problems.

The matte black would give me no reflections at all. But I will need to get LD shelving at some point. And am planning on going with Boltz shelving for that. But the LD shelving only comes in the anthracite finish. So if I'd care to match the MM-252 shelving with the LD shelving then I'll have to go with the anthracite...

Decisions, decisions, decisions. :scratch:

bubba966

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2003, 08:43 am »
Well, I ordered the anthracite MM-252 as it'd match the LD shelving whenever I get that. Woulda ordered a 252 expansion kit as well, but they're backordered for 3-4 weeks (in the anthracite finish only) :evil:

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to order the expansion kit later.

Josh,

You had the old 10" LD/LP shelving, right? Was that offered in different finishes? I don't remember myself at the moment...

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2003, 03:10 pm »
At the time, the LP shelving came in black or clearcoat and I got the clearcoat.  They since discontinued the clearcoat because apparent in the larger shelvings they were getting too many returns b/c of scratching.  I hadn't had the problem but could see where it might be.  They put in anthracite in its place.

bubba966

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2003, 11:39 pm »
Ahh, ok. Makes sense, though I probably woulda went with black if the LD shelving was available in black.

FedEx says my unit should be here Friday. So I'll see what the anthracite looks like then. Sucks that the expansion kit is backordered for 3-4 weeks... :(

KeithR

« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2003, 11:40 pm »
I ahve the clearcoat as well (MM252 i think).

Love the look, but hate that cds and dvds often fall through areas...

bubba966

« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2003, 11:50 pm »
Quote from: KeithR
Love the look, but hate that cds and dvds often fall through areas...

?

I've been using lower capacity cheap ass wood racks for years that are built pretty much like the Boltz racks are and have never had a DVD fall out of the rack.

Why do you suppose it's happening to you?

bubba966

« Reply #13 on: 6 Aug 2004, 05:06 am »
I've been most pleased with the Anthracite finish. Glad I went for it. :D

Since I got my MM252, I've added 2 expansions onto it. :mrgreen: So now I've got an "MM756". :o Just put the second expansion on a few minutes ago. Was very needed as I'd filled up the rack when it was only a 504 (and had discs all over the place). Now I've got more room for more new DVD's... :thumb:  :thumb:

Still haven't gotten the LD shelving yet. Will have to get that on sale or something. The 4 shelf unit is spendy at $670!