My Platinum mod 999ES listening impressions

clave

My Platinum mod 999ES listening impressions
« on: 20 Nov 2007, 04:17 am »
I recently bought a used Platinum modded 999 off Audiogon.  My keen detective work has revealed that the seller is none other than Jonbee here.  Watch out Woodward and Bernstein!  Anyway, thought I'd note my initial impressions of how it sounds and see if anyone has suggestions for maximizing its performance or wants to tell me I'm hearing impaired. 

First, a few not entirely gushing remarks, to set the stage.  The sound is warmer than I expected, based on most of the reviews and comments I've read (e.g. Robert Levi's ravings about its incomparable transparency and neutrality).  It is certainly not dark or slow, but there is a bit of sugar in the mix, and I hear a smidge of bass overhang, at least at fast tempos.  Also, compared to the Birdland Odeon AG DAC I've been using (and mostly enjoying, as I did the Odeon Lite), I hear a little less resolution in the midrange (e.g. fingers on nylon guitar strings).  I make these comments based on A/B comparisons.  On its own, the Modwright Sony does not appear to be leaving anything important out.  In any event, I do think the tubes impart a strong, though loveable sonic signature.

The tradeoff to these compromises, if they are in fact compromises, is that the Modwright has an incredibly organic, natural presentation.  A group of musicians sounds like a group of musicians, not an assemblage of parts mixed together electronically.  Gil Scott Heron once complained about CD's, "It sounds like the cats never even met each other"  (or something to that effect).  Redbook CD's have gotten a lot better in recent years, but generally I find myself feeling that the parts don't add up to a whole, no matter how clear the resolution. 

I would say that the Modwright CDP gives up a small percentage of absolute detail in exchange for a convincing musical whole.  So even if the bass is not the absolute tightest I have heard, the bass player sounds like part of the band.  As for tonal qualities, fuhget about it.  I play classical guitar, so I know its sonic elements well, and this CD player conveyed the overall sound and body of the instrument tremendously.  Again, there is a small tradeoff, in that I lose a bit of fine detail in terms of attack and tonal shadings compared to the FET output Birdland DAC.  Of course, these details are only present to begin with on a small percentage of recordings. 

These impressions are all based on Redbook CD's.  My SACD's (all five of them) sound great, of course.  In my case, the SACD capability is a non-essential bonus. 

The ultimate test, I suppose, is how much music I have been listening to through the new toy.  The answer is, a lot, including right now, way past my bedtime.  These modifications were clearly done by someone with a strong musical sensibility and an ear for detail.  Such a combination of engineering brilliance and real musical sensibilty seems to be rare in the world of digital playback.

That should do for my off-the-cuff informal review.  I would like to add that Dan has provided great customer support, even though he doesn't have a cent of my money (yet).  So add courtesy and professionalism to his list of virtues. 

Are there any isolation devices worth trying?  My shelves are not up to audiophile code, I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2007, 05:12 am by clave »

gibheid

Re: My Platinum mod 999ES listening impressions
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2007, 07:18 pm »
...and see if anyone has suggestions for maximizing its performance

I'm glad there's another 999ES zealot in the house!

I found the 999ES particularly resistant to tweaks--either showing no difference or actually producing sonic degradation in my attempts to bolster the sound. However I achieved notable results in several areas:

• Maintain good connection cleanliness by conditioning your plugs and sockets. Every 3-months-or-so I use Caig Deoxit and Caig ProGold on every connection: analogue out; power in; rectifier in; tube pins.  You could also take a fiberglass pen to the pins of your tubes.  This gives a super-smooth and polished surface that conducts beautifully!
  • Change the fuse and clean the holder in the rectifier box.  I used a PS Audio Critical Link and was pleasurably startled by the result... although it took a while to break-in.  Dan recommends a 3-4 amp replacement fuse to deal with the in-rush current when the box is switched on.
  • Put some sort of vibration absorbing/isolating device under the rectifier box: this will control the extra warmth you're experiencing.  You could also try damping the box cover.
  • Try tube rolling!  I liked cryoed Tung-Sol or Ratheon 5687WBs best--they have detail and life aplenty!
  • If you have Jonbee's old unit, you'll probably have a solid-state rectifier.  Although I don't have one yet, Dan's new tube rectifier is apparently the bee's knees and is worth selling your first-born for.
  • I find my 999ES sounds best if there are a load of CDs sitting on top of it!  Because of my untidy nature, the cases of whatever CDs I'm playing tend to accumulate on top of my player.  We're talkin' 40-50 CDs stacked up at any one time! During my infrequent house-proud intervals--when I actually put my discs back on the shelves--I find the sound to be less absorbing.  Normal service resumes when the audiophile detritus re-appears!  Playing with damping devices may be worthwhile.

Enjoy it!  It's a fabulous player that can breathe LIFE into your music!
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2007, 10:01 pm by gibheid »

clave

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2007, 07:34 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I've just put some roller bearings under the tube power supply box.  I'm not sure yet if it's doing anything, but it definitely doesn't sound worse.  I have some Sylvania tubes on the way.  I will look into the other tubes you've suggested, as well.  I certainly don't think the Tungsol's are a weak link, but it's fun to experiment.  And I will be sure to ProGold everything when we pack up to move across the street.

SCompRacer

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2007, 09:39 pm »
Welcome to the world of ModWright.  The tube rectified PS is a significant upgrade to the 999, even with a stock Sovtek tube.  I owned one of Dan's Platinum 999's and have experienced the difference.  IIRC, if you have the later solid state PS, it can be converted to the tube type for $100 less than buying a new one.

AB

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2007, 10:12 pm »
I just swapped the Sovtek 5AR4 of my 9100ES PSU with a TungSol 5U4GB. Wow. Big difference. Smoooooth as silk with a very appealing midrange bloom. Dynamics softened some, high freq stuff like cymbals and bells dropped back into the SS while the midrange came forward. Very nice and very different from the Sovtek.

I was not all that impressed with a Mullard 5AR4 in the PSU - I thought it was warmer than the Sovtek but it lacked the sparkle I like. This 5U4 kept the sparkle, smoothed rather than warmed the sound and popped the mids.

The top had to come off of the PSU as the 5U4GB is too tall for the case. If I decide to keep this tube in there I might take a hole saw to the PSU cover. I think I can just turn the chassis cover around so the venting sits above the tranny rather than over the tube. I think it'll work but I haven't looked too closely at it yet to be sure.

I did check with Dan to be sure the 5U4GB would work in the PSU. The 5U4 is a directly heated tube while the 5AR4 has a heater and a cathode and I know some circuits won't let these be swapped.

Philistine

« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2007, 02:11 am »
Prior to my 999ES I had a Sony so called 'Stereophile A rated' CDP, it was so harsh I converted my system into a HT and stopped buying CD's.  I then compared the 999ES with an Esoteric, which was very good, but the 999ES was more organic and more fun to listen to. 
3 years later the HT has been downsized and my two channel system upsized :D and back to buying CD's again.

I did switch to the tubed rectified PSU, and can thoroughly recommend the investment - more dynamic, more 3D soundstage and more analogue.

jonbee

« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2007, 04:11 am »
Yes, this is my ex-player. I agree with the overall characterization, but would mention again that the tube rectified ps is much tighter and less warm in the midbass through the lower mids, with better focus in the rest of the range. The liquid presentation is much the same. The 9100 overall is drier still and matter of fact in its presentation. The tube ps is a real deal if you want a less warm character, while retaining the lifelike ambience.
I'm glad you like it!

Jon L

« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2007, 04:54 am »
I just swapped the Sovtek 5AR4 of my 9100ES PSU with a TungSol 5U4GB. Wow. Big difference. Smoooooth as silk with a very appealing midrange bloom. Dynamics softened some, high freq stuff like cymbals and bells dropped back into the SS while the midrange came forward.

That's sort of how Tungsol 5U4GB sounds, which I like.  If you want more better, search the net from some "RCA" branded 5U4G coke bottle with TOP getter (not bottom or side getter).  These will improve on TungSol 5U4GB in all respects, especially top-end air and detail.

AB

« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2007, 10:48 pm »

That's sort of how Tungsol 5U4GB sounds, which I like.  If you want more better, search the net from some "RCA" branded 5U4G coke bottle with TOP getter (not bottom or side getter).  These will improve on TungSol 5U4GB in all respects, especially top-end air and detail.

Thanks. I will give one a try. The Tung Sol is pretty sweet but now that I'm convinced of the real differences in these rectifiers, I am game to try another.

I had a funny experience these last few nights with the 9100es. I had swapped the rectifiers and everything sounded great but then suddenly it started sounding hashy and grainy. I thought maybe the 5UR4GB was going sour or it really wasn't working well with the PS 9.0. I swapped it out and things were worse so back in it went.
After a few nights of nastiness I checked the inner tube I have sitting beneath the player - yes, a very high end inner tube sits beneath the player and very lightly supports it. Well, it had been supporting it but it wasn't anymore. I pulled it out, pumped it back up and replaced it. Back to good.

modwright

« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2007, 05:18 pm »
Now that's a DIFFERENT type of tube issue ;).

Dan