Johnny Cash

DVV

Johnny Cash
« on: 15 Sep 2003, 08:11 pm »
Well, Johnny Cash is gone from the physical world. What does one say, that has any real meaning, without being in poor taste? God knows my tongue usually drags behind me, but right now, I feel really small.

I encountered him first in the late 60-ies, while I was in school in England, when his all-time hit "A Boy Named Sue" (incidentally, written by another one man legend, Shel Silverstein, who later worked with Ray Sawyer, a.k.a. Dr Hook and The Medicine Show - but that's another story) hit the No.1 place in UK as well as in USA. Did I buy the single? Oh boy, I ran to buy it.

There was something about him I could never quite define, but I liked it. I started looking out for his records, and sure enough, I soon had a small collection. I heard "River Deep, Mountain High" many times, by many respected artists, but never quite like Johnny's version, with perhaps only Eric Burdon coming anywhere near him. "I Walk The Line", a song from a movie, is also another one of my favorites.

And just how good Johnny was I think can be best heard in the the song "The Highwayman", with a verse sung in turn by Waylon Jennings, Chris Christofferson, Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash, who appropriately closes the song.

His unique half-sung, half-recited texts, in his characteristic, unmistakable voice, carrying both fire and water at the same time, will probably stimulate many immitators, but they will work in vain. Such talent is rare, very rare.

He passed away at 71, an age too early for him, in Nashville, probably the most appropriate place of all. He started out in mid-fifties as an opening artist to one Elvis Presley, about the same time Elvis and another rascal, one Jerry Lee Lewis, also started out. Behind him, he left many albums, several movie roles, millions of fans and 50 as yet unsorted and uncut songs.

Was he a country singer? In part, definitely so, but his greatness I believe comes from the fact that he defied simplified, clear-cut definitions and classifications. He also did blues, hillbilly, even rockabilly, with aplomb. And nobody did jailhouse blues like Johnny Cash. Ever. I would like to believe other noted artists also felt that way. In my view, Charlie Daniels gave his hommage to Johnny Cash in his song "The Devil Went To Georgia", sung much in Johnny's way, with a Charlie Daniels fiery fiddle thrown in for good measure.

America has lost a great performer of outstanding originality, and I daresay, artist (11 Grammys). The world has lost a man who recognized no borders. His fans lost a source of talent, music and unique performance. I feel like I lost all that and an acquaintance I never actually met, but cared for. A sad day indeed.

Thank God music is immortal.

In some sadness,
DVV

P.S. I know I am not the only one. A local Belgrade, Serbia, radio has been playing Johnny's music throughout the day. It's not every day anyone is showcased like that.

bwkendall

Great post. Here is an e-toast to Johnny Cash! -t
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2003, 08:17 pm »
nt

audiojerry

Johnny Cash
« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2003, 09:47 pm »
I'm with you, Dejan - very well stated. How you know so much about American music as well as so much more is astounding.

One of my favorite Cash lyrics: "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die"

A nice tribute to the man at http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/headline/entertainment/2095701

rosconey

Johnny Cash
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2003, 10:23 pm »
:o i was forced to listen to pig farmer music (country) as a kid but for whatever reason i never thought of johnny cash as a country singer.
i still scan by the pig farmer stations hoping to hear one of his songs

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Johnny Cash
« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2003, 12:36 am »
The label isn't too important to me.  I mostly considered him a folk artist, but certainly he transcended that or any label I could give him.  He was truly a culture bearing artist, someone who reshaped the landscape of popular music.  When guys like Kid Rock are singing his praises on MTV, you know you're seeing a phenomenon that's unique.

A bio I read online hit the nail on the head:  he was one of the rare truly famous people that you really felt like you knew.  His art and his public persona really weren't far from what he really was, according to those who knew him best.  One person posting on his official website made an apt comparison to Warron Zevon;  his music had integrity, too, but he wasn't "The Headless Thompson Gunner".  He goes on to say that when JC sang, "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die" you really wonder if maybe he had.

To me the tragedy of his passing is that he really had a lot left to say.  His new album was, arguably, one of his best.  It reminds me of the way Roy Orbison resurrected his career and became well known to a new generation of fans just before he died.

Luckily, we still have the music, til we too shuffle off this mortal coil.  I've spent the last couple days playing his music, coming to terms with the fact that one of the greatest voices in American music has been silenced.  He'll be missed for sure.

Woodsea

Johnny Cash
« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2003, 02:31 am »
What is the definitive cd, sacd to get regarding his work.  Not that I am glomming onto him now that is 6 feet under and all, uh well maybe this is, just kicking the dirt out of my eyes and ears.  My parents listened to him when I was young, and I enjoyed what I heard.   But with all the talent out there, it really is expensive and difficult to nail down to what to listen for in our short wakened life.

Mike B.

Johnny Cash
« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2003, 02:34 am »
I was shocked when I say June and John on Larry King early this year. Cash was one of those bigger than life types and to see him so old and frail brought home his human side. I guess I hoped he would be here forever. RIP John, June and Waylon.

DVV

Johnny Cash
« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2003, 06:21 am »
Quote from: audiojerry
I'm with you, Dejan - very well stated. How you know so much about American music as well as so much more is astounding.

Not really, Jerry. You know how you remember things about something you love, or have a hard interest for? Well, so it is with me. I know a lot about those artists I care for, but am totally in the dark about those I am not keen on.

As for American folk/country/hillbilly, you just have to think back to the late sixties and count the US and UK No.1 hits by people who were thought of a Nashville people. "Games People Play" by Joe South, an all time favorite; "A Boy Named Sue" by Johnny Cash, a few girls with hits like "Son Of A Preacher Man", etc. You hear it, it clicks with you, you start searching and buying LPs. I still have them, all of them.

Actually, I would be hard pressed to choose between Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings, I like them both about the same, I can listen to them for days without noticing the time as it flies by.

Add my certified love for the movies, and all of those guys were in the movies, either as singers of movie songs and/or as actors, and you have a breakdown how home I know about them.

In addition to which I could never understand why you Americans tend to think that what you think of as back street music/singers in big cities is firmly locked inside the US borders. Nothing is locked anywhere any more, not with these communications.

Jerry, there's a local Belgrade band called "The Orthodox Celts"; all were born in Belgrade, Serbian as they come, yet they play Irish music only. And guess what? They can pack any place they decide to play in. 15 years ago, there was a band from Zagreb, Croatia (today independent, then a part of old Yugoslavia), called "Blue Grass of Forgetfullness", which played pure Nashville only.

Cheers,
DVV

EDS_

Johnny Cash
« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2003, 03:02 pm »
Quote from: Woodsea
What is the definitive cd, sacd to get regarding his work.  Not that I am glomming onto him now that is 6 feet under and all, uh well maybe this is, just kicking the dirt out of my eyes and ears.  My parents listened to him when I was young, and I enjoyed what I heard.   But with all the talent out there, it really is expensive and difficult to nail down to what to listen for in our short wakened life.

You might want to consider Johnny Cash "Unchained".  
(American 9  43097-2)
It has all sorts of good old Cash/country standards. Plus "Rusty Cage" of Soundgarden fame.
The band is Tom Petty's Heartbreakers (am I the only one who just loves Mike Cambell's guitar work?).

TIC

Agreed.....
« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2003, 03:56 pm »
I agree with EDS that "Unchained" is one of the great JC records. It provides a glimpse of the different sides of Johnny Cash (country, gospel, rock, folk, even some "trucker" music) AND it sounds AWESOME. I love the "close mic'd" vocals and the great instrument sound. I really like "Rusty Cage, Southern Accent, Mean Eyed Cat and I've been Everywhere".

The newest (The Man Comes Around) is also very good, but I prefer Unchained.

Johnny, You will be missed.......

TIC

Thump553

Johnny Cash
« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2003, 08:59 pm »
The Americana stuff is nice, and an interesting phase, but it represents only a tiny segment of Cash's music.  Its a critically raved about period, but frankly these albums collectively don't do much for me (but certain songs are very outstanding and moving).  The sound is too sparse, and Cash's voice is way past its prime technically.

If I was going to pick one Johnny Cash album, it would probably be either the San Quentin or Folsom Prison ones.  The interaction with those audiences is amazing.  Probably the best all-around collection I've heard is the 1992 box set, The Essential Johnny Cash.  I still get chills when I hear him do songs like Ira Hayes or Springsteen's Highway Patrolman.

Take a look at Cash's listing at allmusic.com-the number of albums he made is truly astonishing.   He must have 50 or more greatest hits/compilation sets alone!

DVV

Re: Agreed.....
« Reply #11 on: 20 Sep 2003, 09:23 pm »
Quote from: TIC
I agree with EDS that "Unchained" is one of the great JC records. It provides a glimpse of the different sides of Johnny Cash (country, gospel, rock, folk, even some "trucker" music) AND it sounds AWESOME. I love the "close mic'd" vocals and the great instrument sound. I really like "Rusty Cage, Southern Accent, Mean Eyed Cat and I've been Everywhere".

The newest (The Man Comes Around) is also very good, but I prefer Unchained.

Johnny, You will be missed.......

TIC

I miss him already, now that I know he isn't around any more. Why is it that we have to lose somebody before we stop taking him for granted?

In my defence, I've been listening to Johnny for 34 years now, Waylon just 4 years less, Christophersson about the same time, and Willie Nelson I try not to listen to.

But I'll take Roger Miller ("King Of The Road"), Statler Brothers and Charlie Daniels almost anytime.

But Johnny Cash and Waylon - anytime, anytime at all.

Cheers,
DVV

DVV

Johnny Cash
« Reply #12 on: 20 Sep 2003, 09:27 pm »
Quote from: Thump553
The Americana stuff is nice, and an interesting phase, but it represents only a tiny segment of Cash's music.  Its a critically raved about period, but frankly these albums collectively don't do much for me (but certain songs are very outstanding and moving).  The sound is too sparse, and Cash's voice is way past its prime technically.

If I was going to pick one Johnny Cash album, it would probably be either the San Quentin or Folsom Prison ones.  The interaction with those audiences is amazing.  Probabl ...

I know it's a figure of speech, but why pick any only one album? Surely, after thousands of years of blood, sweat and tears we have earned the right to be able to listen to them all any time we want to, assuming we have them.

I agree with you completely - JC was an uncommonly productive artist, yet despite that, I can't think of any one album I have ever heard by him that I would say is below par. Sure, some I liked a lot more than others, but that's a matter of taste, even those I liked less were very well done.

Cheers,
DVV