'In the Valley of Elah'

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
'In the Valley of Elah'
« on: 18 Nov 2007, 06:57 pm »
Quiet a somber story of losses, self discipline, etc.  Tommy Lee Jones ought to get a bunch of Best Actor awards for his work in this and No Country for Old Men.  Jones is really understated in this one, rather the opposite of his style in, say, The Fugitive.  Carlize Theron is EXCELLENT as a small-town detective verbally abused by her fellow detectives, all male assholes.

WELL worth the time.

ajzepp

Re: 'In the Valley of Elah'
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2007, 01:57 pm »
Charleze Theron is one of the most underrated actors in  Hollywood, IMO. I know she got a lot of critical acclaim from North Country, but a lot of people made it out as if she had a "break out performance" in that film. Fact of the matter is that she's almost ALWAYS strong in her films. Not only is she amazingly beautiful, but she's one of the better actors - female or otherwise - in movies today.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this film

albee

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2007, 04:14 am »
I never thought Tommy Lee would do anti-war...but he did.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2008, 06:27 pm »
Saw it last night and found the plot was good enough to draw you in.  It had a somber twist at the end.

Sets, setting, scenes, and acting were all first rate.

Interesting tie in with the "FLAG" scenes.  Even though he was in a hurry, he had to stop to get it right.  That set a meaningful tone to Jones' charachter.

Enough twists in the plot to keep you guessing.