A/V-3 bass response???

bradbrad

A/V-3 bass response???
« on: 17 Nov 2007, 12:41 am »
Hi everybody,

Thanks for the questions you've helped answer that I've asked recently. 

I just finished up a pair of AV-3's, AV-0's, and an AV3-S.  The bass response I'm getting out of the AV-3's seems lacking compared to even the AV-0's, and I'm not quite sure why.  I'm using an Onkyo TX-SR500 receiver to drive these guys. I found that if I increase the "bass" setting on the receiver the bass response will jump up to where it belongs, but obviously the overall frequency response is thrown out of balance when I do this. 

Everything about these guys sounds really good, except for this.  I suspect that my receiver lacks what it needs to properly drive these guys, but I'm not sure. 

Is this receiver just not enough for these AV-3s?

thanks again for your time!

By the way, I agree with the previous poster who thought that the AV-0's are just too great for rear channel duty.  I used those in the front as well for a few hours, and they completely blew me away, and my room is about 20x15x17 high.  Those little things are great.

Cacophonix

Re: A/V-3 bass response???
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2007, 03:30 am »
Sounds like all it needs is breakin time.

When i had the AV/3, bass was -never- lacking, and on the contrary, it would be the first thing you'd notice about it.

Just play some FM, and let the woofers break in. Same goes for the tweeters.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2007, 04:27 am »
If you have no bass right off the bat then you wired one of the woofers out of phase. Re-check your wiring.

bradbrad

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2007, 07:02 pm »
Thanks - I figured out what was going on.  My receiver was set to send 80Hz and below to the subwoofer, which I had turned off.  So - I told the receiver to only send the LFE channel to the subwoofer, which means that I won't have to adjust the sub setting or turn off the sub when I want to use only the AV-3s to listed to music.

I did listed to both midranges on each speaker and they both sound in-phase. 

thanks for the suggestions. 

I was starting to wonder what all the fuss was about these speakers...