Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread started on AVS

jsalk

For those who are interested, Nuance, a very frequent poster on AVS Forum just started an "Official The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread" on that site.  He had heard a pair of SongTowers at a recent listening session (mentioned in the SongTower Updates thread) and is soliciting input from owners of our speakers.

I don't spend as much time on that site as I used to (users are very sensitive about "commercial" postings), but it does have a very wide audience and a wealth of information forcused on home theater.  It is a good resource for research into almost anything related to home theater. 

- Jim

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound

ctviggen

Re: Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread started on AVS
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2007, 06:18 pm »
It's not a very good site for high end products, though.  They also aren't the kind of people who think outside the box relative to speakers.  For instance, the headings currently are Polk, Boston Acoustics, Energy, Focal, Dynaudio, etc.

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2007, 06:59 pm »
Dennis -

Thanks for the link.  I should have noted it in the first place.

ctvigen -

It's not a very good site for high end products, though.  They also aren't the kind of people who think outside the box relative to speakers.  For instance, the headings currently are Polk, Boston Acoustics, Energy, Focal, Dynaudio, etc.

I think that is true when it comes to audio.  But on the visual end, room design and acoustics, home theater proccesing, etc., there is a wealth of knowledge available.  You just have to sort through it to find the gems.  For example, I drive my projector pixel by pixel with a PC and use its scaling powers.  I don't think I would have figured out how to do that on my own.

By the way, you stand is done and will be packed today.

- Jim

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2008, 03:58 pm »
You do have a point there, no doubt.  However, AVS is still probably the most frequented forum out there, which is one of the reason's I started the thread there.  The other reasons are pretty obvious (I'm amazed by Jim and Dennis' work and feel very strongly that they deserve recognition).  Fortunately, that thread is growing quickly.  And why wouldn't it? After all, Salk Sound products are some of the best I've ever heard, and many would agree with me.  Factor in the price of those products - we've got a huge hit folks! 

I will continue to moderate that thread and recommend Salk Sound products (not in just that thread, of course).  For the price, there really isn't anything better out there (that I've heard...and I've heard a lot.).

Kudos to Jim, Dennis and all of the other members and employees of Salk Sound.   :thumb:

randybessinger

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2008, 04:09 pm »
They do have the Ultra High end forum although that forum in my opinion is pretty clicky and is dominated by a few very expensive systems.  I think it is great to be able to expose people to AV equipment that some would not normally get to hear about such as Jim and Dennis's work.  I think the only problem becomes when some become too zealous and then the fights start.  Best to take the high road and Nuance is one that does that with particular acumen.  In fact, the Salk thread is the best in my opinion of being particularly well balanced and mannerly.

Nuance

« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2008, 05:40 pm »
They do have the Ultra High end forum although that forum in my opinion is pretty clicky and is dominated by a few very expensive systems.  I think it is great to be able to expose people to AV equipment that some would not normally get to hear about such as Jim and Dennis's work.  I think the only problem becomes when some become too zealous and then the fights start.  Best to take the high road and Nuance is one that does that with particular acumen.  In fact, the Salk thread is the best in my opinion of being particularly well balanced and mannerly.
It pains me sometimes the way people act over at AVS, but I'll admit I've been sucked into the foolishness once or twice myself.  Still, there are so many people on that forum looking for speakers and Salk Sound should not be overlooked IMO. 

I PM'ed Jim this, but I wish Jim could/would post over at AVS (preferably in the owner's thread) like he does here on Audio Circle.  I don't think anyone would have an issue with it, and I cannot imagine why people did in the past.  Either way, the "cat is out of the bad," so to speak.  Salk Sound is finally getting the recognition it deserves over there, and I say it's about time!  :)

Jim, if you would, please do your thing over there.  Posting pics of completed speakers and what not would be a great asset to the forum members.  Of course, these are just my opinions, but I think it could help a lot considering the amount of traffic/members that hit that place on a daily basis.  And I am not saying that you need help or anything.  I am just a fan of your work and feel you deserve recognition.  I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, I'm just kicking around ideas here; it's fun.  Please, take no offense. 

randybessinger

« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2008, 05:49 pm »
Jim is the consumate gentleman so I can't see his contributions as being a problem at all.  Dennis's contributions are great too because he can talk technical and he has a great sense of humor.  So far, I don't see any problems with the Salk thread, but you know what has happened with some of the others.

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 2 Apr 2008, 09:44 pm »
Jim is the consumate gentleman so I can't see his contributions as being a problem at all.  Dennis's contributions are great too because he can talk technical and he has a great sense of humor.  So far, I don't see any problems with the Salk thread, but you know what has happened with some of the others.
Yeah, I hear ya.  Let's hope the Salk Owner's Thread doesn't turn into what most of the AV123 threads do.  There will always be haters out there, but AV123 seems to attract the more psychotic ones.  :?  I think the Salk thread will continue to grow rapidly and will remain a civil discussion.  Man...just based off the Salk discussions on that forum I'd say Jim has been a busy man lately.  And rightfully so.  Jim and Dennis bring a lot to the table over there; thank God for both of them.