Avalon Clone

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Avalon Clone
« on: 15 Nov 2007, 10:28 pm »
Just kidding, we're not interested in copying a design but our customer want to emulate the cabinet shape without the Eidolon's high price tag. We're using the Accuton mid and tweeter drivers but improved the design with a Scan-Speak Revelator aluminum cone woofer. Initial results are very promising.  :thumb:

stereodad

Re: Avalon Clone
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2007, 03:39 pm »
It would be great to see a picture. Thanks Larry

honesthoff

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2007, 04:11 pm »
Diamond tweeter?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2007, 05:06 pm »

Actually this is a custom designed kit and our customer is building the cabinets.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2007, 05:07 pm »
Diamond tweeter?

No - the 1" ceramic dome.

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2007, 05:47 pm »

Actually this is a custom designed kit and our customer is building the cabinets.

I was wondering whether your cabinet maker could/would do that kind of cabinet.  But I see he is doing his own.  Rather difficult endeavor.  I've seen quite a number of dutch diy'ers do it.  I am not sure if I'd have that sort of patience yet, let alone skill.

X5nut44

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2009, 11:27 pm »
18 months later and finally the speakers are finished.  I will post pictures later. :drool:

X5nut44

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2009, 01:33 am »
In my own humble opinion, these speakers are more engaging than the Eidolon.  The Eidolon were lacking a bit on the low end and the mids were somewhat thin but the treble was OK.  A friend of mine listen to a pair of them a couple of years ago and he wasn't impressed either.  He said they didn't really moved him and was a little disappointed because he wanted to buy a pair.  Rick design on these speakers are spot on I love everything about them.  There is a seamless integration in frequency from one driver to the next.  The detail is not harsh or edgy though, rather smooth and extended. The midrange is extremely engaging! The bass extends down nicely just the way I like it.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2009, 06:08 am by X5nut44 »

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2009, 03:08 am »
Nice job, I can see why it took 18 months. :)

Cacophonix

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2009, 04:14 am »
Now that is called a clone :)  :thumb:
Did you make the cabinets?

X5nut44

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2009, 04:54 am »
Now that is called a clone :)  :thumb:
Did you make the cabinets?

Yes.  I made them in my father's cabinet shop.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #11 on: 9 Jun 2009, 08:26 am »
Hope you don't mind my posting some of them pictures, simply an awesome diy job. :drool: :notworthy:

Cheers,
Robin

Brucemck

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jun 2009, 12:39 pm »
What amp are you using to drive them?

X5nut44

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jun 2009, 02:28 pm »
Nice job, I can see why it took 18 months. :)

Reason for the 18 month delay was an addition to our home and unexpected twins.  My father's shop is approximately an hour from our home so to travel back and forth to work on them was a bit much.  Possibly it would have taken me a little less than a month to build them if I had time all to myself.
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2009, 04:04 am by X5nut44 »

X5nut44

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2009, 02:30 pm »
What amp are you using to drive them?

They are modified Motiograph 7505 amps using 300b in a push-pull configuration.  I got them from Deja Vu Audio in Mclean, VA.  He is the US distributor for Audio Anthology in Italy (http://www.audioanthology.com/).  His preamps are some of the best I've heard.  I had an Audio Note M5 preamp at the time before I heard his preamp.  Once I heard his amp I traded my pre in on the spot.  I was afraid that my wife wouldn't like the vintage look but after she heard me say that this would probably be my last preamp then she was OK with the look.
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2009, 04:06 am by X5nut44 »

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #15 on: 9 Jun 2009, 04:02 pm »
Nice work! It's gratifying to see my design combined with an amazing cabinet.  :thumb:

X5nut44

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jun 2009, 08:30 pm »
Hope you don't mind my posting some of them pictures, simply an awesome diy job. :drool: :notworthy:

Cheers,
Robin

I'm a new member of AudioCircle and I couldn't get them posted on this thread but if you can do it then that will be great.

darkmoebius

« Reply #17 on: 19 Aug 2009, 03:29 am »
Reason for the 18 month delay was an addition to our home and unexpected twins...I was afraid that my wife wouldn't like the vintage look but after she heard me say that this would probably be my last preamp then she was OK with the look.

She might revise that agreement once the twins are old enough to crawl/walk. Those 300b's look like an accident waiting to happen.

JackD201

« Reply #18 on: 19 Aug 2009, 10:31 am »
What can I say? Gorgeous!!!!

X5nut44

« Reply #19 on: 22 Aug 2009, 06:06 am »
Reason for the 18 month delay was an addition to our home and unexpected twins...I was afraid that my wife wouldn't like the vintage look but after she heard me say that this would probably be my last preamp then she was OK with the look.

She might revise that agreement once the twins are old enough to crawl/walk. Those 300b's look like an accident waiting to happen.

The sound room is off limits!!!!!!!  I have some cages that I will hang the amps in.