Marty DeWulf/Loewe's 6ga

LAL

Marty DeWulf/Loewe's 6ga
« on: 14 Sep 2003, 10:40 pm »
If Marty DeWulf is out there I would like to here from you the specifics on your Loewe's 6ga speaker wire which I believe  you prefer on the RM40's. What code or number and brand of wire? Are we talking about the same wire Stan Warren uses or something different? How did you make your cables? Dry ice cryoed? Why 6ga. as oppossed to 8, 10 or 12? What prompted you to make this particular cable? It would be nice to have our resident experts on speaker cables ie PEZ, Tyson etc. do a comparison of this cable with some other cables. If you could spare a minutes I suspect there a number of people here who would appreciate your answer. If all the details are described in a previous issue of BFS what issue number is it?

Sedona Sky Sound

Marty DeWulf/Loewe's 6ga
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2003, 01:36 am »
Hello LAL,
Here is a post over at Harmonic Discord that answers a few of your questions:

http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9108&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=dewulf&start=0

I talked to Martin about the wire at CES this year. If I remember correctly, it was not cryoed. Not sure why 6awg versus 8awg but the reason for not quad-12awg was that he wanted a thick wire that was easy to make/install.

Hope that helps.

Julian
www.sedonaskysound.com

soundguy3

Lowe's Speaker Wire
« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2003, 04:44 am »
:!: According to Marty DeWulf,  Lowe's has discontinued the particular wire that he had used.  I think he is looking at other alternatives.............
 :|
Sguy3

LAL

Marty DeWulf/Loewe's 6ga
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2003, 11:42 pm »
Julian,
Thanks for the citation to HD thread. I have read the one there on Stan Warren's design but never saw the one on DeWulf's cables. Last winter I bought what turns out to be the same wire he used at a local Tru Value Hardware store. I made the cables and replaced my Mapleshade cables for a time. I ended up putting the Mapleshade cables back in although I can't say I noticed a big change either way. More recently I cut off a 1 foot section from the "Lowe's" cable to make some jumpers. Seems to work quite well with the Mapleshades. I may try to resurrect the "Lowe's" and bi wire using them on the bass and the Mapleshade's on the mid/highs.

PLMONROE

Marty DeWulf/Loewe's 6ga
« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2003, 04:27 pm »
I was able to find the exact same 6AWG wire that Marty refred to at my local Lowes. I made up two sets of cables and let then burn in for 100 hours or so. After extensive listening I wasn't sure they were any better than my former Kimber Kable 4TC's. They DEFINATELY are not ever remotely close to my present Audioquest Monster Cables (which is probably what one would expect considering the horendeous difference in price). Compared to the Audioquests the DYI's just sound "muddy".

Paul

PLMONROE

Marty DeWulf/Loewe's 6ga
« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2003, 02:28 pm »
OOOPS - above post should read Audioquest Mammoth, not Audioquest Monster. That said, they really are monsters being larger in diameter than a garden hose!