My Bolder Modded SB3

ebag4

My Bolder Modded SB3
« on: 13 Nov 2007, 07:37 pm »
I had my SB3 modded by Wayne in mid September.  I had him do the Enthusiast Analog Mods with the VH bypass cap.

First, a little background on the life of my SB3.  When I originally purchased this unit I bought it from Vinnie at RWA, I had him do the basic analog mod (no battery/power supply mod) with the Auricaps located on the back of the unit.  I began experiencing noise pickup via the caps and had Vinnie change it to his Blackgate offering interior to the unit and also had him add opamps back into the unit.  All of my experiences with RWA were first rate, excellent customer service.

Flash to September 07, I had been considering having the mods done to my SB3 when Wayne commented on AC that he was caught up and it would be a good time to get equipment into him for a quick turnaound.  He wasn’t kidding, I shipped the unit to him on a Thursday and it was back on my porch the following Tuesday, now that’s service!

Well, how does it sound?  Most of you have read various accounts from others expounding the virtues of Wayne’s analog mods, well I am here to tell you they “ain’t just whistlin’ Dixie”.  Wayne told me that the caps would need up to 800 hrs to fully burn in but right out of the box I heard more detail, subtle things that I had missed previously on songs that I know very well, songs like Stevie Ray’s Tin Pan Alley and EJ’s Daniel.  I will tell you that for the first couple of weeks the unit would sound fantastic at one sitting and sound a bit harsh during a subsequent session, but over time it has come to sound smooth, articulate and simply musical.  This is by far the best source I have owned and it is here to stay.  I am currently running it with a Burson Buffer feeding a battery powered 41Hz Amp4 with Jensen PIOs, and although the buffer does add some additional PRAT (as DU had mentioned in his review) in my system it is far from a necessity. 

I am currently powering it with a Hosfelt linear brick power supply but would like to hear Wayne’s Ultimate series power supply to see what it can add, even though I can’t imagine it getting substantially better than this.

Thanks Wayne for the great customer service and an outstanding product.  I am a very happy camper.
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2007, 09:08 pm by ebag4 »

Wayne1

Re: My Bolder Modded SB3
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2007, 03:38 pm »
ebag4,

Thank you for your comments and the compliments  :oops:

You have now gotten the chance to hear your SB with three different aftermarket changes to the analog circuit. I am very glad that you think the semi-Statement mod I have done to your SB gives you the best sound.

If you really like the sound with the Hosfelt PS, you will LOVE it when you get the chance to hear the latest Ultimate Nirvana PS.

Hugh Dean will be working furiously to build up more of his regulator boards. I hope to have a goodly amount on hand by mid December. Perhaps, shortly after the first of the year, I will be able to offer a tour of the PS. I do hope you would consider auditioning one.

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2007, 03:40 pm »
Thanks Wayne.  Please put me on the tour list now!!

Rob S.

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2007, 03:50 pm »
I'd like to be put on the list too, Wayne.

I'm delighted w/ my SB3 mod w/ brand new Ultimate PSIV. Wondering what it's going to be like to try the new one.

tonyptony

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2007, 05:27 pm »
Wayne, me too!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2007, 05:34 pm »
ebag4,

Thank you for your comments and the compliments  :oops:

You have now gotten the chance to hear your SB with three different aftermarket changes to the analog circuit. I am very glad that you think the semi-Statement mod I have done to your SB gives you the best sound.

If you really like the sound with the Hosfelt PS, you will LOVE it when you get the chance to hear the latest Ultimate Nirvana PS.

Hugh Dean will be working furiously to build up more of his regulator boards. I hope to have a goodly amount on hand by mid December. Perhaps, shortly after the first of the year, I will be able to offer a tour of the PS. I do hope you would consider auditioning one.

Besides a tour...people are always free to pay me a visit if they are in the Boston area.

It's "highly" likely that Wayne's latest and greatest will be in my system.   :thumb:

George

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2007, 08:58 pm »
People in the Greater Toronto Area are welcome to use my modded SB3 and Rev 1 power supply in their own systems, if that would suit them better.  My system is quite different than most, and the unfinished basement space might not be representative of most of the rooms folks use...

PM me, and we can work it out, you will be amazed at how well these babies work.