Wilco coming to town

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Wilco coming to town
« on: 14 Sep 2003, 06:19 pm »
Wilco is playing at the Washington Pavilion next week, and there are still some tickets available.  I've never heard them, only the critical buzz.  Are they as good as the hipster critics assert?  Anyone here a Wilco fan?

Maybe I'll get the new CD and if it's good I'll get some tickets.

cjr888

Wilco coming to town
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2003, 07:00 pm »
I personally love Wilco, especially live, and most of Tweedy's side projects...    Caught them twice this year in NY and always enjoy a show.

I'm not sure where your musical tastes are, but I'd definitely suggest catching them..  I do know a lot of people who haven't liked them at first, but where their sound has grown on them over time, so your results may vary....

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Wilco coming to town
« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2003, 07:21 pm »
Thanks, cjr888.  I just wondered 'cause there are a lot of "critics darlings" that no one really likes.  I'm reminded of the words of Mark Twain; "A classic is a book that everyone wants to have read but no one wants to read."

I really should pick up a CD or two first to at least familiarize myself with them if I decide to go.  I will have to make sure I can still get tickets- there were some available Friday, but I'm not positive today.

pjchappy

Wilco
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2003, 05:10 am »
I'm a big fan of Uncle Tupelo and all their spin-offs.  Son Volt's "Trace" is absolutely great!  I just started getting into Wilco about 1 year ago, and I really like their newer stuff.  

I will be seeing Jay Farrar in STL soon. . .I am going to check now if Wilco is coming anywhere close.

p

JoshK

Wilco coming to town
« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2003, 01:28 pm »
I have found it hard to get into Wilco, some of it is good, some of it is plain boring.  My wife hates them so it makes it hard to get enough listening to them before I write them off.   I have heard a few of their songs that I really do like though so I think there is something there.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Wilco coming to town
« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2003, 09:26 pm »
Looks like I'm probably not gonna make the show tonight.  I still may buy a disc or two to see what I missed.