An evening with Lyn

gerado

An evening with Lyn
« on: 9 Nov 2007, 06:35 am »
Last night Lyn reciprocated a visit to listen to my set up, after enjoying his a couple of weeks prior. (a benchmark experience!)

I make no secret of my frustration  so far for  failing to blend all my components to a performance level greater than their sum. I get brief periods of enjoyment but some irritations remain which often spoil my party.

Well the great man arrived and we were soon into the task at hand- lend me your ears, give me honest thoughts no matter how brutal, praise if its there. I had not previously given too much away what irritates me but old wise sharp ears took a sort time to get his bearings and pinpointed accurately what has taken me a year or two to identify some of the weaknesses. 

A little less toe in he said and tip them forward a little so that the front baffle is angled forward. Something I have not ever considered doing. And I have tried some crazy things!.
There it was! suddenly the 2 speakers locked together in the middle, vocals sounded more like they were coming from a person in space than 2 speakers. Imaging stopped bouncing up, down and sideways with every minor head movement which sent be into an acoustic spin.

Still, a little midrange recession he said- all this time I have been trying to subdue it , now he wanted it up- OK I know how to fix that, 10minutes and a quick soldering mod of the crossover and we have take off. So much better, speakers sound more in the room with me than the room next door.

The man is a genius

Hugh I want you to allow a space at he top of the forum to create a virtual shrine for this man called LYN. :D

LYN LYN LYN   :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

My GK has not sounded so natural, detailed and damn enjoyable. I'm starting to sample that "suspended disbelief" he talked about.
I wonder how much more many of us can milk out of these great amps without having to always  open them up. Just by having fresh ears in the room and a honest word. The changes suggested may not always be to the owners liking but it surely cant hurt.

Oh and we did do some tube rolling (telefunken ECC189), but the originals are the best, by a long shot.

Thank you Lyn you are genius.

LM

• Lyn
Re: An evening with Lyn
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2007, 08:27 am »
Theo,

I love your sense of humour mate but you realise I may never be able to show my face around here again let alone post……  aa

Actually, it was a darn fun night.  You have a lovely home, wife and children let alone set up.   I’m glad some of the suggestions, even the ones out of left field, worked.   Next time we can just listen to the music. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2007, 09:35 am by LM »

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2007, 09:54 am »
Theo,

This is an interesting post.  I have to say that Lyn is far better than I at this black art;  he really knows how to get the best from speakers.  And Theo, give yourself credit that you knew what to do with the crossover, too, that is no mean feat.

For myself, I'm so attuned to listening to amps that I can tell what they sound like pretty much regardless of the speaker or setup.  I guess I'm used to my own pretty scrappy rig!!  I have to say my room is so live it threatens to get up and walk away during the dead of night....... :duh:

I would echo Lyn's words about your family and your home.  All beautiful, you are 1 lucky man!

Thanks Lyn, you've worked your magic...... :drool:

Cheers,

Hugh

gerado

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2007, 03:05 am »
  I guess I'm used to my own pretty scrappy rig!! 
Cheers,

Hugh

Lets reflect on that.

GK, Soraya and new transmission line speakers--scrappy? Should hardly think so!

You still not thinking like a salesman :nono:
Gee do we have to do all the praising for you!

AKSA

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2007, 03:10 am »
Theo,

Best not to think on that......

However, nothing wrong with the components, just the room setup!!

But not thinking like a salesman, that has a charm all its own, no?   Certainly unusual!

Hugh