Good/Cheap RCA Connectors?

Xi-Trum

« on: 13 Sep 2003, 11:58 am »
I'm going to experiment making IC and looking for recommendation for cable RCA connectors in the range of less than $10 each.  Any suggestions of which ones are good and where to get them?  Thanks in advance.

EchiDna

« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2003, 01:05 pm »
assuming you mean US$10 each, your choices are very wide!
Eichmann bullets, neutrik profi and canare f9 or f10 come to mind for a start.  :mrgreen:

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2003, 01:30 pm »
Parts Express offers quite a few choices that are quite inexpensive. One option is these - WBT knock off locking connectors. A set of 4 is $10.99

Of course the other school of thought is that less metal is better, in which case there are bullet plugs, about $10.00 each. Some folks swear by the little plastic bodied connectors you can get at RadioShack. Parts Express offers some like that as well at the very non audiophile price of $.019 ea. :)

One gentlemen posted a picture of his DIY plugs on here a few weeks back. Kind of a wood block with a single wire outer connection. Somewhat the same effect as the Eichman bullet but much cheaper of course.

You might want to pick up some heat shirink tubing for strain relief.

Have fun, you can experiment with quite a few designs for not much money.

Mike

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2003, 12:20 am »
I have a set of those Daytons.  I have never used them yet but the are well built.

Mike, I'll have to look for those block connectors...sounds interesting.

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2003, 03:08 am »
Rich,

Here is the link: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=4415

He didn't really post any informatoin, just a link to a picture...

I was able to find his thread on the diyaudio site: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=215804

Certainly inexpensive and looks to be pretty easy to make.

Mike

Xi-Trum

« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2003, 06:51 am »
Thanks, guys.  I'm going to experiment with different connectors.  I'll probably have a connector shootout when I'm done.  Hence, I'll need a few candicates for my shopping list.  The bullet plug is one candidate.  I'm currently using the Dayton WBT-knock off so it's another candidate.  I also have the Rat Shack cheapo plastic connector.  I'm still looking for some more candidates.

Oh, the wooden RCA connector certainly looks interesting.   But considering my wookworking skills, I think it's a long shot that I'll be making them.   :lol:

Thanks.

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2003, 12:01 pm »
Thanks Mike.  One might as well just keep the wires going and not use a IC on the component.  As a DIY kind of guy, have you ever "went direct" say between a pre and amp?

Xi, if you use any silver cables you could also try these silver RCA's:
http://www.homegrownaudio.com/diy_rca.html
DIY packages too.

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2003, 12:54 am »
Quote from: MaxCast
Thanks Mike.  One might as well just keep the wires going and not use a IC on the component.  As a DIY kind of guy, have you ever "went direct" say between a pre and amp?

Rich,

I havn't ever wired the components directly to each other. I tend to try different configurations often enough that it would be a huge pain in the ass to have to solder/un-solder all the time. :)

tom1356

« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2003, 04:45 am »
I made the RCA's in the picture. They are not easy to make but they are very good. When combined with the female panel mount RCA's I made they sound as good as a hard wire connection.
Good Luck with your quest.

_scotty_

Re: Good/Cheap RCA Connectors?
« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2003, 06:43 pm »
Quote from: Xi-Trum
I'm going to experiment making IC and looking for recommendation for cable RCA connectors in the range of less than $10 each.  Any suggestions of which ones are good and where to get them?  Thanks in advance.

Hi Xi-Trum,Try Mouser part number 17PP050 $0.17 each,better than the bullit and cheap.www.mouser.com  .This is the original RCA plug Used since the dawn of time
nearly 50years ago.An excellent RCA panel mount jack can be had from
MCM. Part number CN00508,redCN00509,black for $1.49 at www.mcminone.com

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2003, 08:02 pm »
I like Canare....I think I paid $8/pair for mine.  I get them at the local pro audio shop.