Odyssey Stratos Mono Extreme

lazydays

Re: Odyssey Stratos Mono Extreme
« Reply #40 on: 28 Jan 2008, 08:33 pm »
Hey lazydays, are you still addicted to tubes or are you using Odyssey amps only now?

depends on where I'm at in the house. Upstairs I have two small tubed mono blocs being driven by a Conrad Johnson preamp. The amps have been upgraded with better caps and been retubed twice.
    Down stairs I drive my mono SE's with a Candella preamp. Ahead of that I use a Wright WP 100 phono stage. My digital source (S) vary almost by whatkind f mood I'm in. Sometimes it's my Marantz 8260 and a Jolida CD100a, but right now it's the 8260 and a mint Sansui TU 717 tuner (I like Onkyo tuners better by the way). Have three turntables, but would only dare to use two of them. I'm currently setup with an Opera 2.0 turntable and an SME IV arm with the Van denhul mods. A D103 cartridge. Hopefully later this week I'll have the table atop a Ginko Cloud 11. Want to buy a second tonearm this spring just for mono playback. My new speakers are being assembled as I write this (boy do I miss my old meadowlarks!) Now you know why I'm destitute all the time!!
    Other than buying a tonearm and a new mono cartridge, the big project at my house is LP racks as well as something todo with all the CD's stacked everywhere.
Right now it looks like I can get the LP racks done to my taste for about $500 (will hold about 2000 LP's) or a little less. Right now I've got LP's stashed everywhere, and the stash is growing by the week.
gary

lazydays

« Reply #41 on: 28 Jan 2008, 08:35 pm »
If these amps need to be powered up all the time to keep the caps charged  do they need a load. What if I want to switch amps for a while. Can I leave the Odysseys powered up without being hooked up to speakers?

the difference in sound quality is significant. I'd leave them powered up 24/7 if it were me.
gary

Haoleb

« Reply #42 on: 28 Jan 2008, 10:27 pm »
If these amps need to be powered up all the time to keep the caps charged  do they need a load. What if I want to switch amps for a while. Can I leave the Odysseys powered up without being hooked up to speakers?

I would not disconnect the speakers or anything with the amps powered on. Even if your careful there is always a chance you would short the speaker terminals. Dont risk it.

djbnh

« Reply #43 on: 30 Jan 2008, 01:08 am »
I thought I'd read somewhere in the forums that you should have a load / speakers hooked up to amps if they're powered on.

denjo

« Reply #44 on: 30 Jan 2008, 01:24 am »
Depends on the amplifier design. Some need a load while others don't! But I guess its good practice to have a load at all times when the amplifier is on.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #45 on: 9 Feb 2008, 04:09 am »
You can leave the amp on without a load indefinitely.  No problem whatsoever.
However,  since it is a very fast ss design,  and as ALWAYS !!!!!!!

make sure that when connecting the system back together,  you do it  OLOF  on the amps.

On last, Off first.

ASi_TEK

• NO LIMITS!!!
    • www.asi-tek.com
« Reply #46 on: 9 Feb 2008, 05:37 am »
Hi,

What is the current draw (VA) of the mono extreme? Will 2 of them work on a 15amp Isolation transformer?

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #47 on: 9 Feb 2008, 05:40 am »
Less than 1/2 Amp per amp.
So,  I can set you up with 2 1/2 dozens of amps.
Which way do you want them ?????

ASi_TEK

• NO LIMITS!!!
    • www.asi-tek.com
« Reply #48 on: 9 Feb 2008, 05:58 am »
wow, they are alot more efficient than I thought.  For 200w+ per channel I thought they would draw more. Ok, I guess the 15 amp iso transformer is more than enough!!!!     :duh:

BobC

« Reply #49 on: 9 Feb 2008, 07:05 pm »

I assume that when the amps are idle, correct?

lazydays

« Reply #50 on: 9 Feb 2008, 08:44 pm »

either my electricity rates went down a little bit, or I can see virtually no difference in the light bill when leaving mine on 24/7. By the way 2 1/2 dozen mono blocks would almost be like new floring & radiant heat!
gary