Odyssey Stratos Mono Extreme

Lkdog

Re: Odyssey Stratos Mono Extreme
« Reply #20 on: 19 Nov 2007, 03:32 am »
Well, I am 51 and from the Quad Cities so we probably grew up hearing a lot of the same bands and music. :thumb:

I like to think 50 is the new 40, but some days I feel every bit of my age.
Enjoy the amps-they are very special.

djbnh

« Reply #21 on: 19 Nov 2007, 11:09 am »
Hard to believe as the Mono Extremes are in the ballpark of about as good as I have heard at any price already.
There's always that question regarding diminishing returns, how deep is one's wallet, etc., typical audio nervosa-type things. Anyway, it would at least be nice to read more about the "blue board" edition, cost to upgrade to them, what they encompass when that iteration becomes more mainstream; maybe Klaus will chime in at some point with what he feels they bring to the table, and prices re: upgrading from the red board Extreme model.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #22 on: 19 Nov 2007, 01:32 pm »
Really!!!! first i heard of blue board  but i.m defiantly interested

Hard to believe as the Mono Extremes are in the ballpark of about as good as I have heard at any price already.
There's always that question regarding diminishing returns, how deep is one's wallet, etc., typical audio nervosa-type things. Anyway, it would at least be nice to read more about the "blue board" edition, cost to upgrade to them, what they encompass when that iteration becomes more mainstream; maybe Klaus will chime in at some point with what he feels they bring to the table, and prices re: upgrading from the red board Extreme model.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #23 on: 19 Nov 2007, 01:38 pm »
Ah yes - Bo Ramsey.  I lived in the Quad Cities for about 13 years long ago and far away. 

I still remember seeing Robert Cray in a bar in Muscatine...

Bryan

TomS

« Reply #24 on: 19 Nov 2007, 02:01 pm »

Only Klaus can say for sure, but my understanding in talking with him is the blue board is a "prototype" item only, certainly not a production or even a modification option, other than at his discretion.  Not to say they're not out there, but just a very few on some SE's for evaluation purposes. 

This is more difficult to build as they are approximately twice as thick, such that lead lengths of any pre-cut parts (for modded amps) don't fit anymore, etc.  In terms of affecting the sound, the pcb substrate material used, track thickness, and layout (for noise) are probably far more important than how thick the board is (or the color!).  Thickness may help in terms of vibration damping/tuning and better yet, general robustness for shipping heavy things around the world.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #25 on: 19 Nov 2007, 03:18 pm »
My mono extremes se are only a couple of mounths old and i havent heard of it

Only Klaus can say for sure, but my understanding in talking with him is the blue board is a "prototype" item only, certainly not a production or even a modification option, other than at his discretion.  Not to say they're not out there, but just a very few on some SE's for evaluation purposes. 

This is more difficult to build as they are approximately twice as thick, such that lead lengths of any pre-cut parts (for modded amps) don't fit anymore, etc.  In terms of affecting the sound, the pcb substrate material used, track thickness, and layout (for noise) are probably far more important than how thick the board is (or the color!).  Thickness may help in terms of vibration damping/tuning and better yet, general robustness for shipping heavy things around the world.

TomS

« Reply #26 on: 19 Nov 2007, 03:43 pm »
My mono extremes se are only a couple of mounths old and i havent heard of it

That's what I'd expect.  As I said, it is not a "production" offering yet to my knowledge.  Either way, more costly to do than a "standard" SE (if there is such a thing).

Lkdog

« Reply #27 on: 19 Nov 2007, 05:32 pm »
I cannot state the technical specifics of the theoretical signal path improvement from the new circuit boards.
The color is not the defining issue, of course, it is the board thickness and signal path enhancements. He also can get the double thickness boards in red I believe he said.
There is also quite a bit of additional labor involved as noted above.

He stated to me that it "removes all remaining bottlenecks from the sound".
I think the upgrade is not that uncommon an option at this point, but the lead time for getting parts and scheduling it takes some time.

He seems to have a couple levels of SE versions now that he can develop for someone. None of the SE upgrades have ever been production versions, but I think he is considering changing that.
The cost will vary based upon how new your present Mono Extremes are and if you can get any credit for some of your parts and what you want done.
I will not quote any specific prices here as that is an individual situation to be worked out with Klaus.

I will say the blueboard SE was a reasonably priced upgrade.
Going from the Mono Extremes with a fairly recent build to the usual SE version was around $500-600 or so for someone from what I can tell.

Considering what people drop on IC's and Power cords (that is another discussion  :scratch:) the custom upgrade prices are very reasonable for an actual component upgrade-not three feet of wire.

Klaus is always fair and this was reasonable considering the parts and labor involved in my opinion.
Trust me-I do not certainly have a lot of money and it took me a few years of upgrading and selling and saving to get into the Odyssey lineup.
The value of his units is fantastic and unparalleled IMHO.
I have compared, for instance, the regular Mono Extremes to Parasound JC-1's. Six of one and half dozen of another.
Really depends on tastes. Both wonderful. Both have uber control of the drivers. A friend of mine just talked to a long term audiophile dealer of Classe, Roland, etc heavy iron expensive amps. He says the Odyssey top end gear is about as good as anything at really any price.

I will post comments on the SE version I am getting after I have them for awhile.

TomS

« Reply #28 on: 19 Nov 2007, 06:38 pm »
Well, I've had the "thick blue board " SE upgrade for several months now.  It sounds terrific and is certainly competitive with a number of much more expensive amps.  Once these arrived at that point of diminishing returns, I am finding my money is better spent in other areas (such as further Bolder upgrades for my SB).  My take is that when Klaus says "the works", just do it, whatever he offers.  You won't find a better value (for both his knowledge and labor) anywhere and you can trust his ear in tuning it right to always show you the "soul" of the music.  Really good stuff indeed.  I'm very happy with them.

jn316

« Reply #29 on: 19 Nov 2007, 10:38 pm »
Tom. You hooking the LS9's to these guys?
Gary

TomS

« Reply #30 on: 19 Nov 2007, 10:40 pm »
Some day  :green:

lazydays

« Reply #31 on: 20 Nov 2007, 06:59 pm »
Ok, I had the amps for a little over a week now, playing them all day every day. They are used so they should be broken in and now fully charged up. I took the junk stock tubes out of my pre and replaced them with Telefunken's. All I can say is wow. What a difference. Now the amps portray a fuller richer sound. Bass is deeper but softer, more like what I hear in live bass. There is a definite darkening to the sound which is how I like it. I've never been much on high frequency extremes. I much prefer a big round, rich midrange and bottom end. That doesn't mean I don't need a system that has good resolving ability. Guitars on John Platania Blues, Waltzes, and Badland Borders are now big and fat. On Greg Brown's Yellow Dog his voice is nice and chesty and deep. I just heard him and Bo Ramsey last Sat. night at a small club and this is how his voice sounded. On Cowboy Junkies At The End of Paths Taken Michaels guitar again is fat and swirling. Margo's voice is absolutely beautiful and airy. Pete's cymbals still have the same shimmer to them that I noticed when I first listened to these amps.
Everything I liked at first is still good but the things that bothered me are now almost all corrected. I could use more air around instruments.
All in all I am very happy with these amps. They will be with me for a long time. I just wonder what taking them to the SE level would do?

Again I'm no reviewer so please excuse my poor writing style but I think you get the idea, I like these amps.

believe it or not I have no idea what a pair of Stratos monos sound like! Mine stayed in the two boxes they were shipped in for 2 1/2 years due to an addiction to tubes. They were bought to drive a pair of Maggies that wouldn't fit in my room size and shape. Then I decided to give them a try, and Called Klaus to see about a tune up. Gave him the numbers to my bank account, and told him to make them "zing." Guys on here have said more than once that there's a marked difference between the SE's and the Stratos Monos. How much I don't know. Still on the same thought, I've always kinda wondered in the back of my mind just how much better the "Gary" amps were than the SE's?
gary

lazydays

« Reply #32 on: 20 Nov 2007, 07:14 pm »
I cannot state the technical specifics of the theoretical signal path improvement from the new circuit boards.
The color is not the defining issue, of course, it is the board thickness and signal path enhancements. He also can get the double thickness boards in red I believe he said.
There is also quite a bit of additional labor involved as noted above.

He stated to me that it "removes all remaining bottlenecks from the sound".
I think the upgrade is not that uncommon an option at this point, but the lead time for getting parts and scheduling it takes some time.

He seems to have a couple levels of SE versions now that he can develop for someone. None of the SE upgrades have ever been production versions, but I think he is considering changing that.
The cost will vary based upon how new your present Mono Extremes are and if you can get any credit for some of your parts and what you want done.
I will not quote any specific prices here as that is an individual situation to be worked out with Klaus.

I will say the blueboard SE was a reasonably priced upgrade.
Going from the Mono Extremes with a fairly recent build to the usual SE version was around $500-600 or so for someone from what I can tell.

Considering what people drop on IC's and Power cords (that is another discussion  :scratch:) the custom upgrade prices are very reasonable for an actual component upgrade-not three feet of wire.

Klaus is always fair and this was reasonable considering the parts and labor involved in my opinion.
Trust me-I do not certainly have a lot of money and it took me a few years of upgrading and selling and saving to get into the Odyssey lineup.
The value of his units is fantastic and unparalleled IMHO.
I have compared, for instance, the regular Mono Extremes to Parasound JC-1's. Six of one and half dozen of another.
Really depends on tastes. Both wonderful. Both have uber control of the drivers. A friend of mine just talked to a long term audiophile dealer of Classe, Roland, etc heavy iron expensive amps. He says the Odyssey top end gear is about as good as anything at really any price.

I will post comments on the SE version I am getting after I have them for awhile.

last spring my youngest son and I were looking at some CD players, and had the chance to audition a few going thru Krell 300 watt amps (maybe even 350 watt ones). They were big and pretty, and my youngest son told the salesman that my monos sound better than the Krells he had set up (he's got near perfect hearing). I've also listened to the PS Audios and a few others (Creek, BAT, Edge) in that same system. I liked the BAT, but the thing broke twice while listening to it! And the Mono SE's sounded just as good for less than half the money.
gary

loki1957

« Reply #33 on: 20 Nov 2007, 08:09 pm »
Hey lazydays, are you still addicted to tubes or are you using Odyssey amps only now?

Lkdog

« Reply #34 on: 6 Dec 2007, 07:20 am »
Amps arrived today!
Hooked them up and all is well.

FWIW-the new heavier circuit boards that I got are actually red, not blue. Klaus had indicated when he was taking orders before RMAF that the color could be either.

No impressions yet-just always glad when units survive shipping and power up safely with no anomalies.
They are still actually cold from the trip here. Weather sucks right now between Indiana and Iowa.

Will state some impressions after some break in.
Took all of 400+ hours before.

tlarson2002

« Reply #35 on: 6 Dec 2007, 02:23 pm »
Lkdog,

I think you will find the break in period for the thick boards is well over 400 hours. I have had mine for 3 months and they are still in process. Klaus indicated a year was probably realistic. With that said, mine were phenomenal right out of the box after upgraiding from a single stratos. Congrats and enjoy, I think you will be completely blown away!!!

Lkdog

« Reply #36 on: 6 Dec 2007, 05:12 pm »
The Mono Extremes did take over 400 hours.

With the new board, wiring, and other parts this will be awhile.

I will make one comment about them out of the box. They do seem quieter with a lower noise floor than before, but hard to say as I have not had them in service for awhile. Music kind of jumps out of blackness.

Build quality that I saw when I popped the hood was immaculate.
Klaus is a fanatic about detail and precision.

Will update more fully later on.
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2007, 02:32 am by Lkdog »

djbnh

« Reply #37 on: 6 Dec 2007, 11:43 pm »
Amps arrived today!

FWIW-the new heavier circuit boards that I got are actually red, not blue. Klaus had indicated when he was taking orders before RMAF that the color could be either.

No impressions yet-just always glad when units survive shipping and power up safely with no anomalies.
They are still actually cold from the trip here. Weather sucks right now between Indiana and Iowa.

Try the IsoTek System Enhancer CD, if you prefer to reduce the break-in time substantively.

Lkdog

« Reply #38 on: 7 Dec 2007, 02:44 am »
Amps arrived today!

Try the IsoTek System Enhancer CD, if you prefer to reduce the break-in time substantively.

Interesting. I wonder if I could make such a disk. I have a bunch of software VST synths and sound generators apps I could play around with.
Thanks for the tip.

I talked to Klaus tonight to thank him for the service and work they did on these units.
He said to leave them powered on 24/7 and play music normally and that break in would be fairly similar to the Mono Extremes.
Can't say I mind listening to them right now.  :wink:
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2007, 03:02 am by Lkdog »

loki1957

« Reply #39 on: 28 Jan 2008, 05:35 pm »
If these amps need to be powered up all the time to keep the caps charged  do they need a load. What if I want to switch amps for a while. Can I leave the Odysseys powered up without being hooked up to speakers?