ASPEN AUDIO upgrade for Ultimate PS

Wayne1

ASPEN AUDIO upgrade for Ultimate PS
« on: 6 Nov 2007, 05:02 am »
In my report about RMAF, I mentioned that I had met with Hugh Dean of Aspen Audio. He gave me one of his power supplies for the SB, Hologram 3, that he developed using a proprietary, feed forward, error correction circuit, for evaluation.

I have spent some time listening to and experimenting with the PS and circuit. I have found that the regulator circuit improves the sound from the SqueezeBox in a different manner from my Ultimate PS. The Hologram PS uses a switching PS to first convert AC to DC. Then the ASPEN regulator circuit does it's magic.

I feel the Hologram gives a very dynamic presentation to music. The sound is VERY quick. I also feel it does lack a bit in the lower mid to low end range.

I combined the ASPEN regulator circuit with my Ultimate PS. MY GOD :o  Now we are talking. Here is the fully fleshed out low end, with the speed of the Hologram.

I have had some conversations with Hugh and we have come to an agreement. I will soon offer an upgrade to the Ultimate PS that will incorporate the ASPEN regulator. This will be known as the Nirvana Ultimate  :wink:

Hugh will be shipping me some boards for the upgrade very soon. There will be some reviews from a couple of AC members about the difference, soon after.

The upgrade will not be cheap, but I really do feel it will be worth it. I would not offer it if I did not think it made a major improvement.
 Final pricing will depend on landed cost, but the ballpark price of the upgrade will be around $500.00.

jrebman

Re: ASPEN AUDIO upgrade for Ultimate PS
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2007, 05:13 am »
Where does it end?  Only kidding, as I surely appreciate your willingness to experiment and continue to refine the SB.

Not now, but I know I'm going to want this :D.

-- Jim

yo2tup

« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2007, 05:22 am »
damn!  8)

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2007, 12:28 pm »
hmmm... maybe glad I waited a bit on the MK V upgrade.  This is really exciting news!  Tom

Bigfish

« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2007, 12:45 pm »
Darn, now it is going to take me even longer to save up the cash for a replacement to my modded Elpac! :cry:

Ken

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2007, 12:56 pm »
Ditto  :duh:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2007, 01:25 pm »
Nice to see Hugh and Wayne working together....good luck with the project !!!  :beer:

Wayne1

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2007, 02:19 pm »
Thanks for the comments, guys.

The Aspen Audio regulator will work with any of the Ultimate PS. I-IV. It should be able to fit into the Deluxe PS I made some time ago. It may be able to fit into the Basic Rev 2 case.

With ALL of these PS there will be an immediate improvement in dynamics and "speed" of the music. The Ultimate series add the low end weight.

There does have to be some board work to all of these power supplies. Certain component values have to be changed. Some additional mounting hardware has to be installed for the new regulator board. It is not a plug and play type of upgrade.

Hugh should be shipping the boards within a day or so. Depending on customs, I should be able to start upgrading within two weeks.

With any luck, I will have a couple of units to compare at TweekGeek's get together on the 17th of November.

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2007, 12:57 am »
Today I actually installed the Aspen Audio regulator board in an Ultimate PS. Before today I was running some jumper leads from an Ultimate to the board and then from the board to the SB.

I had to change the voltage that the Ultimate works at. I ran some short leads of Nitro wire to the board, which has now been modded quite a bit to work with the Ultimate. It is mounted directly above the Ultimate regulator board.

Part of the mod the Aspen board is to remove some "non-audio grade" parts. With these out of the way, the genius of Hugh's circuit comes through even more so.

This change is BIG. I know some people have said the there can be no difference in the sound of the SB with different power supplies because there is still some internal switching power supplies. All I can say is take a listen.

To my ears, and this is through my Sennheiser HD-600s driven by a Buffer based headphone amp, there is at least as much difference between the Ultimate Nirvana PS and the Ultimate PS as there is between the stock ELPAC PS and the Ultimate Ps

PeteG

« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2007, 01:12 am »
To my ears, and this is through my Sennheiser HD-600s driven by a Buffer based headphone amp, there is at least as much difference between the Ultimate Nirvana PS and the Ultimate PS as there is between the stock ELPAC PS and the Ultimate Ps

:o I'm glad I waited to upgrade.

jrebman

« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2007, 01:17 am »
This is big.  How much closer to the sound with Burson buffer, do you think this is?  In other words, if you could only afford one, which would it be?

I suppose you could also put that $3000 power cord on it :D.

-- Jim

Wayne1

« Reply #11 on: 8 Nov 2007, 02:01 am »
Jim,

I HAVE been using the PS with the BOLDER version of that power cable. Only $1,000.00  :wink:

If I had to choose between the Buffer and the PS, I would choose the PS.

The Buffer does give more dynamics and a fuller sound. The PS is quicker and more dynamic.

Eventually, I would want both. Things are progressing on the BOLDER buffer concept. Maybe by the time it is available I'll have an Aspen Audio circuit for that power supply ready.

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
« Reply #12 on: 11 Nov 2007, 05:19 am »
Hello Everyone,

Wayne and I spent Thursday afternoon listening to the SB power supplies.  It was indeed a very interesting day...

We started with my stock system, which was comprised of a:
- modded Transport (over $2k cost) fed directly into a
- new (and top secret 8)) linear amp capable of delivering 1000 watts into 2 ohms. 
- Usher Be-718's and we also listened to the Usher CP-6381's. 
- Stereovox reference interconnects
- Bybee SE Ultra Power cords
- ExactPower UltraPure 1 conditioner

The sound (tonal balance and imaging) was good with the modded transport, but lacked dynamics.  We inserted the Ultimate SB and power supply that Wayne brought over, and the improvement over the modded Transport was readily apparent.  The SB3 with ultimate power supply costs less than a stock Transport and sound much, much better. Better low level detail resolution and dynamics are instantly ascertainable.  Soundstage is deeper and a touch wider as well.

After listening to the modded SB3 with Ultimate power supply, it was time to insert the Ultimate Nirvana supply.  The biggest difference between the Ultimate and the Ultimate Nirvana was the Ultimate has bybees on the AC mains, and the Ultimate Nirvana has no Bybees but uses the ASPEN regulator.  I preferred the Ultimate Nirvana with the ASPEN regulator by a wide margin.  Not because the Bybees did anything negative, but because of what the ASPEN regulator did was so amazing (and I already had bybee'd power cords).

Dynamics, speed texture and low end detail are all in scary abundance with the Ultimate Nirvana.  What was most unusual was the subtle deep bass details that emerged.  On recordings like Eji oui's (?) "exotic Dances for the Opera" my Be-718's played with renewed authority and never heard before low level bass detail.

I would have to agree with Wayne.  First the performance upgrade with the ASPEN regulator is huge, and second if one has to choose between the PS upgrade and the buffer, go with the PS upgrade.  I am buying one.

AKSA

« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2007, 10:17 am »
Wayne, Folks,

This is wonderful news and I thank all who have participated in the SB power supply auditions Wayne has arranged, and my thanks particularly to Wayne for his open mind and willingness to push the boundaries.  Some here might know that I am very disappointed that fifty years of intense audio engineering has failed to deliver the sonic dividends we all deserve, and I'm on something of a crusade to infect audio engineering with a musician's sensibilities.

I designed the Aspen power supply about a year ago after some extensive sleuthing on power supplies over more than a decade.  I threw away the text book on rock solid voltage control using feedback systems.  This regulator is forward driven from the power source, not the load, and extremely fast.  There is no overshoot on correction with increasing load current.  The philosophy is so different I've chosen to encapsulate it in epoxy because this is something very, very special.

That Wayne has discovered this so swiftly is testimony to the open minded and thorough service he offers all audiophiles who approach him seeking a better sound.  From the moment we met in the bar at RMAF we got along.  I am pretty bright but rather lazy, Wayne is very bright and a helluva worker, with a very strong personal discipline I admire.  It was a great day that we were able to hook up on this project from opposite sides of the planet, and I am confident there will be more......

Wayne, you really need to hear my amplifier in your rig!!

I posted off another eight of the modules four days ago, they should be arriving very soon!

Cheers,

Hugh

jrebman

« Reply #14 on: 12 Nov 2007, 12:50 pm »
Hugh,

First, it was really great to meet you at the show, and sorry for taking so long to say so.  Linda truly loved meeting you as well.

Secondly, what can I say but, brilliant!  Someday I want to talk to you about trying this approach with a valve circuit too -- but I have enough on my plate right now, as I'm sure you do as well.

I'm definitely going to upgrade my Ultimate PS, and now I'm really considering if I'm going to need to get a second one for my other SB, and I'm sure once I hear it the decision will be made for me. :-)

Take care,

Jim

Wayne1

« Reply #15 on: 12 Nov 2007, 09:40 pm »
Thanks for your comments, Hugh.

I would love to have a chance to hear your amp in more familiar settings. Now if you can figure a way to ship heavy objects from Australia on the cheap, then you would be a genius :lol:

All of the first shipment of the Aspen Audio PS upgrades have been spoken for.

I hope I get them this week, so I can start work on the power supplies for everyone.

Then I can send Hugh some money for more of them.  :wink:

Jim,

I hope you can make it to TweekGeek's this weekend. You will get a chance to hear the difference Hugh's circuit makes for yourself.

I took the prototype up to Conifer yesterday. The gentleman living there had just upgraded his modded ELPAC to an Ultimate right after RMAF. When he heard the Nirvana version, he just shook his head and said "It makes such a difference. It is worth every penny" :D

jrebman

« Reply #16 on: 12 Nov 2007, 09:52 pm »
Wayne,

I'd like to make it to Mike's this weekend, but I'm producing a concert Saturday evening, and with sound checks and all, the day is pretty much shot.  Besides, I don't really think you guys want the upper respiratory plague I'm walking around with right now :-).

I'm sure I'll get to hear it soon enough, and then I'm going to want one for the SB2 in my office system.  On the positive side, it will probably save me some money since I'll be keeping the SB as the sole source in that system -- at least that's how I tell myself I'm "saving"money :D.

And I want to hear the Emerald Physics speakers too... I think.

-- Jim

AKSA

« Reply #17 on: 12 Nov 2007, 09:59 pm »
Wayne,

This is good news and thanks for relaying it.  You WILL have them this week, and I will get cracking on some more!  To an Awstrayan, with our tiny market, the scope and depth of the US market knocks us off our feet.......  I wish I'd been in the States thirty years ago, my life would have been very different.

Jim,

It was a pleasure to meet you and your delightful Linda, I liked her very much.  Y'know, I have a notion that you hear things many people do not, and when next we meet I would love you bring along your favorite CD for a long hard listen.  I want your opinion, warts and all, because the subjective experience of audio is actually what this pursuit is all about, and it conveys aspects of the performance no amount of measurement can describe.

Deal, Sire?

I do hope your URTI clears before the next audio meet!!

Cheers,

Hugh

aurelius

« Reply #18 on: 14 Nov 2007, 09:33 am »
Wayne... bravo for taking a chance.  :thumb:

Hugh, a certain level of vindication must feel very sweet. aa

I got a flogging on certain boards for advocating your feedforward design (a prototype sits in my Orion ASP crossovers) and I feel vidicated as a consumer... As the designer, you must find it very gratifying indeed!  Once heard, there is really no denying the sense of light and energy the feed-forward design imparts.

AKSA

« Reply #19 on: 14 Nov 2007, 08:50 pm »
Mark,

Jackie Gleason said it all those years ago, 'How Sweet it is!'   :lol:

I am indebted to Wayne, who is utterly objective in his judgements and knows precisely what he is listening to.  Remarkable ear!

It's fun being an unqualified, wannabe audio pariah!  But it takes years to be vindicated!

Of course, now the challenge is to avoid hubris....... :oops:

Cheers,

Hugh