Another Newbie To Imod

fzpanda

Another Newbie To Imod
« on: 3 Nov 2007, 04:06 pm »
Dear all,

It is my first time ever hearing of the term imod, so please forgive me for sounding quite amateur, because I am one  :oops:

After having a look of this website and the product intro videos, my understanding of an imod is that, it is a cable/dock that directs the audio signal from the docking port instead of the traditional headphone output to a headphone amp (which includes the volume control) which is in term connected to my headphone.

I am not a hardcore audiophile, but of course, I want my ipod to sound much better. So basically, my question is : are Basso T2 Chrome and  a Cryo Dock (I just picked the best sellers here) all I need to purchase for my purpose, given that the only equipment I have right now is an ipod nano and a pair of headphone?

Thanks.
John

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Another Newbie To Imod
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2007, 06:14 pm »
Hi John,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!

After having a look of this website and the product intro videos, my understanding of an imod is that, it is a cable/dock that directs the audio signal from the docking port instead of the traditional headphone output to a headphone amp (which includes the volume control) which is in term connected to my headphone.

With the 5G/5.5G iMods, you must purchase an ALO Audio iMod Dock Cable.  Yes, this plugs into dock connector of the iPod and is terminated with either a 1/8" stereo mini plug or RCA plugs (based on the cable you purchase).  The output is a line-output (meant to drive a headphone amp, but NOT headphones directly) and is a constant output voltage.  Your headphone amp (or home audio system) will have the volume control.  Also, with the 5G/5.5G iMods, the headphone output is not modded and remains stock. 

I am not a hardcore audiophile, but of course, I want my ipod to sound much better. So basically, my question is : are Basso T2 Chrome and  a Cryo Dock (I just picked the best sellers here) all I need to purchase for my purpose, given that the only equipment I have right now is an ipod nano and a pair of headphone?

For use with a 5G/5.5G iMod, you'll need an ALO iMod dock cable that is terminated with an 1/8" stereo mini plug, a headphone amp (the iBasso T2 is quite good for the price, and ALO Audio sells this) and headphones.

If you are using a stock iPod, you just need an ALO iPod dock cable (not an iMod dock cable.. they are different as the iMod dock cable contains the dc blocking capacitors in the dock plug of the cable), headphone amp, and headphones.

I hope this helps.  You might also find the ALO Audio forum on headfi.com of use:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86

Best regards,

Vinnie