New Revelation Mini & Grand Master

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
New Revelation Mini & Grand Master
« on: 2 Nov 2007, 04:29 pm »
Folks,

There's been some interest recently in these 2 new models since we posted links to them and pricing info on our new website.  Well, the facts are that these 2 models are little more than concepts at this point - although we do intend to pursue them in the soonest possible future.

All that's needed is to run some numbers to get a few dimensions worked out for the enclosures and design, development for the crossovers.

The Revelation Mini will be simply a Timepiece upper enclosure sitting on top of the existing Revelation base.  At some point soon we will be making the Timepieces upgradeable to the Rev Mini with our new interlock technique.  The lower module needs adjustment in order to accommodate the load presented by a single woofer in contrast to the 2 woofers that the present Rev uses.  The crossover will literally be identical to the existing Timepiece and use the same drivers.

The Revelation Grand Master is another story though.  It will use two 10-inch SEAS Excel woofers and "probably" the ScanSpeak 6600 "air-circ" tweeter.  Since the woofers are too big to fit on our existing front panels, we're forced to do a completely new enclosure design.  That being the case, we're planning on making it shorter, wider and deeper.  Even though the existing Rev's height is not really an issue with regards to vertical dispersion, folks have expressed the desire for something not quite so tall for aesthetic reasons.  Therefore, the Rev GM will accommodate that request.

We'll be shooting for a crossover of 500Hz in the Rev GM - if possible.  The new 6600 has more output at its low end, so that may (probably) make 500 Hz possible.

As far as the timetable goes... the squeaky wheel gets the grease around here.  Whatever is most profitable and/or increases the short term cash flow the most will get our attention.  Personally, I'd love to do the Rev Grand Master - that puppy would be the bomb.  :drool: But... whatever pays the bills.

In that though... and here's the pitch... if someone out there wants to finance the R&D... we're all ears.  We'll build it for dealer cost to the first person that antes up the $$$.  For $15K you'll get the last speaker you'll ever own and join Steve Chang in the SP Tech "hall of fame" for being the first.  It will be made with the same hardwood fronts & veneered sides construction we're using now.  At that price you can pretty much pick the species you prefer too - within reason.  If you want Ultimate crossovers to go with it though - that's extra.  Those darn parts are EXPENSIVE!!!

So... does somebody out there want to give me a $good$ rea$on to build the thing?  If so, let's talk.  You know where to reach me. aa

-Bob

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: New Revelation Mini & Grand Master
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2007, 09:04 pm »
Hey Bob, I don't think 500hz is possible ... my 6600's were well over 1% distortion down that low in the waveguide.  Actually looking at the graph now, they're almost 2% at 500hz.  And the energy storage measurements at 500hz are really ugly.  Fs on those tweeters, mine that I measured, was ~485hz.  That's why I decided on just over 800hz, because that's where distortion started creeping up and it started storing some energy - 2nd order just starts touching .5% at 850hz, and goes up pretty quickly from there down.

Also I think crossing from a tweet to a W26 would be a challenge.  The W26 and W22 and completely different drivers. As most manufacturers do, the 8" has midrange and bass in mind, while the 10" is solely designed as a bass driver.  That's why the W26 cone is 2.5x as heavy as the W22 cone.  I think the W26 would have a really hard time keeping up ... and the W26 Nextel cone is even much heavier than the W26 mag cone.  Honestly these Focal 10W's I used are the only 10" 'hi-fi' style driver I can think of that would handle crossing to a tweeter.  An AudioTech 10" could proably do it, but those are serious $$$.  Some Pro drivers can do it because their cones are like toilet paper, but then you have no excursion and resonances all over the place.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just sharing my experience to hopefully save you some time and money.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2007, 09:09 pm »
Oh, also wanted to mention, try some Scan 7000 Ring Radiators in your waveguide ... you'll like the result ;) 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2007, 09:10 pm »
DON'T DO IT!!!!!  No!!!!!!!    Then my Revelation MK III Ultimates won't be the best speakers on the planet and I'll have to buy new ones even before I get these!!!   DON'T DO IT!!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2007, 09:47 pm »
Ryan,

Thanks for the input.  As I said, I might use the 6600.  All bets are of until I start testing.  Oh... and I have a couple of extra tricks up my sleeve on this one too.  I don't like resting on my laurels so... onward and upward.  Ya know, a smart girl never gives up all her secrets. :wink:

Ted,

Sorry man.  But then... like you'll have anything to feel bad about. :roll:  5 of our speakers in one room? :o  Besides, you'd have to build onto that room for the Rev GMs anyway. :lol:

-Bob

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2007, 10:15 pm »
Ryan,

Thanks for the input.  As I said, I might use the 6600.  All bets are of until I start testing.  Oh... and I have a couple of extra tricks up my sleeve on this one too.  I don't like resting on my laurels so... onward and upward.  Ya know, a smart girl never gives up all her secrets. :wink:

Oh I'm sure you have lots more tricks to try, you've already pushed boundaries farther than anybody thought was possible!  The 6600 is probably the best low-end tweeter out there today, if it can't do it I don't know what could.  I'll share all my measurements with you if you want, although I think I already sent most of it to you didn't I?

I've got a few new things I'm trying too, I have the machine shop cutting some new guides right now ... give me a call sometime so we can chat about it.

Best of luck in whatever you try!

dart6

« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2007, 12:44 am »
Bob please check your mail