My Threshold has passed

ZephyrApprentice

My Threshold has passed
« on: 31 Oct 2007, 01:37 pm »
I am needing to take My threshold power amp to alpha and have it looked at. All the fuses are good, however, it will no longer power up. It is my uncles amp and was in a closet for around 6 yrs. I will have this one fixed, but I would like to have one of my own and not rely on someone elses gear. Can anyone suggest a good class A 300w amp that will not break the bank.  I guess I should tell you what equipment I'm running.   

-Martin Logan SL3's Bi-amped (forte 200w for the subs)
-John's old Mcintosch preamp
-Sony CD Recorder
-Sony R-700 DAT
-Nackamichi Dragon Cassette Deck
-Luxman Turntable (need help with that. Does not keep constant speed)
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2007, 02:33 pm by ZephyrApprentice »

ZephyrApprentice

Re: My Threshold has passed
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2007, 12:01 am »
No worries on the amp...It was just a blown AC line fuse... :duh:

TONEPUB

« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2007, 02:32 am »
Only 300 watt class a amps I've seen are from Clayton and they are about 15k a pair.

Might be able to find an old Krell KSA 250 for a few thousand bucks....

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2007, 02:19 pm »
Hiya Joe,

I know the panic that sets in when a piece of gear decides to melt down. Glad to hear it was just a fuse.  :thumb:

ZephyrApprentice

« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2007, 03:07 pm »
Just wanted to let you guys know, I could use some help getting good placement for the SL3's. Anyone who has time come over and hang out for a little while. We don't have a lot of room, but we would be willing to host anyone who would like to join us. :dance:

jedi35

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2007, 08:12 am »
Hi Joe,

I had a lot of work done on the Threshold Model 4000 amp and the FET-10HL preamp that John made available to me. Alpha Tech did the work, and they did a great job. As you probably know, the 4000 doesn't do 300 watts of class A, but it will do 200. That's still twice as much as my Krell monoblocks were doing into the panels of my Quest speakers. In fact, I've been in touch with someone who has a 4000 for sale, and his has been updated by Jon at Vintage Amp Repair, which specializes in maintaining Threshold amps. He's planning on letting it go for around $1300 or $1400. Drop me a line if that sounds interesting to you.

Chris at Balanced Power Technologies helped me and John come up with better placement for our speakers. In fact, he helped me totally re-arrange my room and my system layout for much improved sound. He's a member of GAS, so you might want to get in touch with him. I'm sure that he wouldn't mind helping you.

Adrian