FS: Butler Audio Monad Monoblocks - SOLD

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: FS: Butler Audio Monad Monoblocks
« Reply #40 on: 26 Nov 2007, 05:19 pm »
wind, good try at saving the good stuff for yourself!   :lol:

doug s.

Thanks, I've never heard of that Audio-Mart before. It's bookmarked now.  :thumb:

Unfortunately it's mainly over priced midfi...

John

Double Ugly

« Reply #41 on: 28 Nov 2007, 06:07 am »
:D  David Levy has a pair fs on canuckalhead,is he profit flippin' these???? :?

By golly, I think you may be right, Pat. 

It appears he bought HiFipassion's black Monads within the past few weeks, and unless he really doesn't like them (virtually unthinkable IMHO), it seems he's trying to turn a profit.  :o

Not someone I'd prefer to do business with, leastways not without a very good, very plausible explanation, but to each his own.

2bigears

Re: FS: Butler Audio Monad Monoblocks - SOLD
« Reply #42 on: 28 Nov 2007, 06:45 am »
 :D when money is King,o well?? how's things Jim,keeping that screen door shut ?? man it's flippin cold up here :o :o !!! still thinkin' on Spectron?  Pat  :D

Double Ugly

« Reply #43 on: 28 Nov 2007, 07:11 am »
Hey Pat!  Good to hear from you again, my friend!  :thumb:

Actually, the screen door was never a problem.  I think the little buggers have a nest somewhere in the walls or ceiling, but I'll be danged if I can find 'em. :evil:

It's relatively cold down here, but the operative word there is "relatively."  For instance, right now it's 34oF here, and that qualifies for "cold" in Mississippi.  Up where you live, folks would probably be temped to go for a swim if it were to get that warm.  :lol: 

We may see temps in the low teens or even single digits in Jan and Feb, and local weathermen will refer to it as "bitterly cold."  Up there?  Probably shorts and t-shirt weather, eh?  :wink:

As for the Spectron, nope, not thinkin' 'bout it any more.  I quit thinking and ordered one from Steve Chang (reefrus) last weekend.  :wink:

He was kind enough to ship it before receiving my check, and it should be here Thursday!  Man, am I ever looking forward to that!  :D

Aside from being cold, how are things in the great white north?  Are you thinking about pulling the trigger on a Spectron?

FWIW, Steve says it just keeps getting better in his system.  He tried two for a while, but the soundwaves pressurized the room so much that he found it uncomfortable, so he's back to one amp now.

-Jim

carusoracer

« Reply #44 on: 28 Nov 2007, 01:17 pm »
Good luck with the new Amp. Glad to hear about the sale.
Post some comments about your new toy!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #45 on: 28 Nov 2007, 01:21 pm »

It appears he bought HiFipassion's black Monads within the past few weeks, and unless he really doesn't like them (virtually unthinkable IMHO), it seems he's trying to turn a profit.  :o

Not someone I'd prefer to do business with, leastways not without a very good, very plausible explanation, but to each his own.
what's wrong w/that? i admit to buying something only to re-sell for profit, every once in a while.  i can't help it, really - i am always scanning the audio ads for things i might want, & every once in a while, something comes up at a stupid-silly price, so i bite.  example:  a while back, i saw a foster blair modified & refurb'd scott 310d mono tuna & 335 mpx decoder f/s for $250 shipped.  being a tuna nut, i know 335's by themselves, in as-is condition, routinely sell for $250 or more.  so i immediately jumped on the scott combo, enjoyed listening for a couple months, then sold 'em on ebay for >$400.  is that so bad?   :scratch:  what i found amusing was that foster blair was the high bidder!   :lol:

ymmv,

doug s.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #46 on: 28 Nov 2007, 01:40 pm »

DU,

What is wrong with somebody buying something and selling it for a profit?

I have done that from time to time and I don't think that would stop us from doing business.

George

Charles Calkins

« Reply #47 on: 28 Nov 2007, 04:00 pm »
Buy high!!  Sell low!!!!  Or give it away!!!
Always works for me especially the give it away part.

Cheers
                            Charlie

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #48 on: 28 Nov 2007, 05:35 pm »
Buy high!!  Sell low!!!!  Or give it away!!!
Always works for me especially the give it away part.

Cheers
                            Charlie

got anything ya looking to get rid of now?   :lol:

doug s.

Double Ugly

« Reply #49 on: 28 Nov 2007, 05:53 pm »
What is wrong with somebody buying something and selling it for a profit?

Nothing, I guess.

I suppose my feelings about the Monads are such that I find this particular flip distasteful.  Don't know why, aside from the firm conviction that anyone who gets their hands on a pair of these - especially at a great price - should be using them, not selling them within days.  To me, some things are more important that a few bucks, one of 'em being the glorious sound of these amps.

'Course, I also understand the guy may need the money.  I have no problem with that, even with the Monads.  But the fact remains that most who engage in this hobby - especially those capable of reaching the Monad's price of admission - don't need the cash to pay for little Jimmy's life-saving operation.

And yes, George, though we've yet to do it, it is conceivable that you and I might find a way to do business someday... even if you do commit the heinous crime of flipping the occasional component.  :wink:

Double Ugly

« Reply #50 on: 28 Nov 2007, 05:55 pm »
what i found amusing was that foster blair was the high bidder!   :lol:

Now that *IS* funny!  :lol:

RodMCV

« Reply #51 on: 28 Nov 2007, 06:12 pm »
Hi Jim,

Way to go on the sale and new purchase. Fast and sweet?

Look forward to hearing your comments on the new when time comes.

I heard a great review to come in the Jan. TAS re: Spectron Musician III SE

Rod

Double Ugly

« Reply #52 on: 28 Nov 2007, 08:04 pm »
I heard a great review to come in the Jan. TAS re: Spectron Musician III SE

I hadn't heard that. 

It'll be interesting to see how the reviewer's take compares to mine, and what other equipment was used during the evaluation.

denjo

« Reply #53 on: 28 Nov 2007, 11:07 pm »
I think Neil Gader of TAS is currently reviewing the Signature and I think its going to be a very positive review indeed!

That's what I said!  :wink: Neil Gader concluded that he enjoyed every minute he spent listening to the Spectron Musician III and further said that a superior amp has been made significantly better. I have also heared that quite a number of speaker manufacturers use the Spectron as a reference amplifier, the likes of Albert von Schweikert, Anthony Gallo, John Dunlavy. I have a feeling that the high praises (and Awards) will start pouring in after the TAS Review in Jan 2008. The Spectron Musician III will define the epitomy of class D amplification and seriously challenge the best of class A and A/B amplification put together, setting a new benchmark for high fidelity and, perhaps ushering the era of class D amplification as the new standard.

Jim (Double Ugly), I think you have made a wise move and I eagerly look forward to your review of the Spectron Musician III!

Best Regards
Dennis

Double Ugly

« Reply #54 on: 29 Nov 2007, 02:10 am »
I think Neil Gader of TAS is currently reviewing the Signature and I think its going to be a very positive review indeed!

That's what I said!  :wink:

My apologies, Dennis; I do remember reading that now.  Goodness... and in the same thread, no less. :oops:

I've been severely under the weather this week, so rather than presuppose my own mental deficiencies might be at play, I will instead blame my absent-mindedness on the lack of proper nourishment.  Yeah, that's the ticket!  :wink:

I certainly hope you're right about the move being a wise one, Dennis.  It wasn't easy giving up the Monads, I can assure you, but I'm excited about the change and am eager to put the Spectron through its paces.  I'm told it can take as many as 500 hours before it comes fully into its own (source: Simon @ Spectron), yet it was an evening spent with a less-than-one-week-old Musician III SE that served as the catalyst for this sale and the Spectron purchase. 

IOW, I doubt I'll do much suffering en route to 500-hour mark.  :wink:

I'm curious... how do you know so much about the upcoming TAS issue, and Neil Gader's remarks?

Warmest regards,

-Jim

RodMCV

« Reply #55 on: 1 Dec 2007, 11:34 pm »
Hi Jim,

Hope things are on the up-n-up with the weather.

If you check out the Simon note that quotes Gader in
the Musician lll upgrade to SE sound; you can catch a glimpse of Gader's review.
This is on the Spectron site, a-gon, and here on the circle.

Rod

Double Ugly

« Reply #56 on: 2 Dec 2007, 01:31 am »
Thanks, Rod.  :thumb:

JP78

« Reply #57 on: 3 Dec 2007, 09:55 pm »
du,

just a heads up; and maybe your experiences will differ.  i did want to send this as a pm, but i believe you have that feature disabled.  i did use a spectron musician iii (non se) with mbl 101b, which is also a very demanding speaker as well.  i am very excited about sp, and have been in close dialogue with bob. unfortunately, i could regularly drive my spectron into protection with the single musician iii.  i'd recommend using a pair of these beasts to get the zero dynamic compression we all crave, or a second amplifier for the bottom (not the best idea to mix-n-match amps given the crossover frequency of your speakers imhumbleo). in the end, i ended up using a gryphon callisto for the bass, musician iii for the mid range and highs; with a tubed linestage, i was in audiophile bliss.  feel free to pm to discuss in a friendly manner.  i want to say again, i have the utmost respect for toni and john from spectron.  the amp does sound wonderful.  happy listening!

jp 
« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2007, 06:05 am by JP78 »

Double Ugly

« Reply #58 on: 4 Dec 2007, 05:51 am »
Hi jp,

I'm not sure why you experienced difficulties sending me a PM, but you have one en route.

FWIW, something I didn't mention in the PM is that I'd planned to purchase a second Spectron to bi-amp full-Monty Revelations with external crossovers, but circumstances have changed.  I may still get another down the road, assuming I determine the Musician III SE is a keeper, but things are waaaay too up in the air right now for me to predict anything.