Tempest-X On the Site

Kevin Haskins

Tempest-X On the Site
« on: 31 Oct 2007, 12:26 am »
I've updated the web site with the Tempest-X.   You can order it now but they won't ship until next week.

I have a preliminary PDF file if anyone wants to see the parameters and such.   I'm still working on documentation.   Once I have final production T/S parameters I'll update this document (these should be close) and release the box design notes.

Overall.... these should easily be the best subwoofer value on the market.  I don't think there is anything out there that can even come close to touching them.    A good 4.3L of displacement for $175 is unheard of value.

These should work in the PE cabinets also so if your really lazy, and don't want to cut MDF (that's me).  I think that they would drop right into the Parts Express 15" Titanic cabinet.   They sell one with a 1000W plate amp & a band of PEQ for about $500  (Part#  300-764 and ask to buy it without the PE driver, they will accommodate you).

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?products_id=652

Here is the PDF file.   If you catch any typo's let me know.

http://www.diycable.com/main/pdf/Tempest-X.pdf

macnewma

Re: Tempest-X On the Site
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2007, 03:23 pm »
Do you have any recommended enclosure sizes?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2007, 03:33 pm »
Do you have any recommended enclosure sizes?

I'm working on it as we speak.    Are you interested in a ported or sealed design?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2007, 03:58 pm »
Pretty amazing value, Kevin.

I'm guessing they're not made in Switzerland. Probably be $1750.00!

Any response plots available? I'm interested in how high you can realistically take them.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2007, 04:02 pm »
Here is the quick and dirty.

Ported Designs:     Use a single 6" flared Precision Port.   Yes... you need either two 4" flared ports or a single 6" flared port to keep this beast from chuffing at very high SPLs.

Get the port here:   http://www.thrilleraudio.com/detail.aspx?ID=536

Assuming a full length (17" long) 6" flared port you would want to build an enclosure somewhere between 240L-320L (7.8 ft^3 to  11.3 ft^3) for the high-output ported design.   In any of those combinations stuff the enclosure with polyfill and use the full length 6" port.    To account for the port & driver displacement subtract 10L or .36 ft^3.   

The easiest way to deal with large ported box designs is to build a sonosub.    As I get some time I'll post more information about building one that integrates the port design into the enclosure by nesting two tubes.   It works great.... like a slot port for tubes.   

Sealed Designs:   These are for those people scratching their head and trying to figure out where they would fit that 11 cubic foot monster ported sub.    Anything between 120-200L (4.3 ft^3 - 7 ft^3) works great.    Stuff them 100% with polyfill.    A 21" or 22" cube does the trick and the PE sub makes life easy.   

Of course these work great as an IB sub also.   No problems with doing arrays of 2, 4 or 8 units. 

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2007, 04:08 pm »
Pretty amazing value, Kevin.

I'm guessing they're not made in Switzerland. Probably be $1750.00!

Any response plots available? I'm interested in how high you can realistically take them.

I don't think any subs are made in Switzerland.   ;-)   I know B&C makes some in Italy though. 

These are 100% proudly made in China!  So far, they have been great people to deal with and my brother is Chinese so I cannot drop any racial or cultural slurs.   They sure know how to build a driver though.     

I don't have a response graph, I'll get one of both the 12" & 15" once I get some measurement time with them.   It will probably be a couple weeks before I have everything listed.    The inductance is low enough though that the main issues as you get up higher in the FR range is the cone/dustcap resonances and of course the diameter of the cone. 

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2007, 04:21 pm »
I assumed China, and these days that doesn't make me nervous at all as regards quality.  :thumb:

I was also serious about what I'd guess they would cost if they were made in Switzerland!

Seems like, across the board, 10 is actually the factor when comparing Chinese and Swiss prices on similar items.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2007, 07:41 pm »
I assumed China, and these days that doesn't make me nervous at all as regards quality.  :thumb:

I was also serious about what I'd guess they would cost if they were made in Switzerland!

Seems like, across the board, 10 is actually the factor when comparing Chinese and Swiss prices on similar items.

I don't buy much from Switzerland so I wouldn't know.     :lol: