Danberg

Present 2 channel system;

Audio Research LS-16 Mk II Line Stage
Classe' CA-200 amp
Rotel 1072 CD unit
VonSchweikert VR4 jr speakers
Nordost Valkyrja interconnects
Nordost Blue Heaven speaker cable

anyone listened to or familiar with Classe' and Bryston sonic signatures?  I am looking for a "slightly" warmer sound than what I have now. Please describe in as much detail as possible.  Additionally I listen to rock, country, jazz at low to moderate volume (rarely above 90db peaks)

Also, any recommendations for another CD unit, or should I consider a DAC unit?   Want to keep in the $500 to $700 range, used would be OK.

Thanks

Sonny

Dan,
I haven't heard Bryston gear in my system, but most reviews seems to say that Bryston run on the neutral / thinner side (Based on my readings).  I've had Classe before and think it is a little on the warm side, especially for SS gear...  To go warm, you'd probably need to go Tubes.

Anyways, if you're getting rid of the CA 200, let me know.
T

Philistine

One option could be to put a tube buffer after the CDP, for example the MF buffer appears to be going for just over $200 on Audiogon:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstwek&1198606649

It's well inside your budget and you can always turn it around on Audiogon if it doesn't work out.

I'm not sure that changing the Classe is going to fix it for you, I would go back to the source.  Another option would be to try and pick up a Modwright CDP with a tube output stage (or similar CDP).

Scottdazzle

Danberg,

Another option would be to replace your source component. A tube cd player like a Jolida might bring a warmer sound than the Rotel.  The Jolida 100 (Underwood level 1) did that for my system as compared to my previous Adcom 750 and Music Hall 25.  Of course, there's always vinyl.

Scott

ryder

If you are seeking a slightly warm sound, another option is to replace your current ARC LS-16MkII with a warmer tube preamp such as the BAT. I don't think you will be getting any warmth going from Classe to Bryston. It's the other way round.

electricbear

Swap out your Rotel RCD1072 for a MHZS88. I did that in one of my systems a while back and the soundstage got larger and richer. You will need to swap out the stock tubes as they sound a little dry. It is one cool player, built like a brick outhouse and looks good too.

mustangkc

I have had great success with the Benchmark DAC-1. You can keep your current CD for a transport and simply drop the DAC-1 in line. Have you looked in room treatments and how they would be used to "tune" you listening space? That might give you what you are looking for if you have some flexibility in your listening space.

Bucky

As mentioned above buy a tube buffer or a tube CD player (I would recommend a Minimax Tubed CD player which is in your budget).  I don't think that changing your amp from on SS to another is going to get you where you want to go.  There are a couple of tube DACs out there that may do something.

BTW a previous post mentioned a Benchmark DAC.. That is going to take you the other direction of warmth.

mfsoa

I also have the 1072 and VR4JRs.

IMO, the rest of your equipment (I mean everything but the CDP, which is still good for the $$$) is really good stuff. I feel that you are "under-sourced" at the moment (the same situation I feel that I'm in). My 1072 runs on the cool and sterile side and this is what you are trying to steer from.

I'd be looking more at source than amp, but I wonder for $500-700 are you really going to be able to match the quality of the rest of your gear? (I guess that's possible with a good used buy) I do feel that you'll be able to improve a bit on the Rotel for that, but your system can take more!

Just my opinion, from being in the same boat and asking myself this question for a while.

-Mike

GHM

Sounds like you need a Dac. There are plenty in your price range that will outperform IMHO the Rotel.
That's if you are after musicality and not infinite detail. Several come too mind ..Scott Nixon,MHDT LABS, Audio Sector and I'm sure there are others under your price range. I would go with a tubed Dac and drop the Nordost speaker cables. They can sound thin and a little harsh IME. Go with a copper cable or pure silver that doesn't use the Teflon coating.