Any advice on buying a squeeze box?

Holderman

Any advice on buying a squeeze box?
« on: 30 Oct 2007, 06:16 pm »
I have read everything posted on squeeze boxes and think I am ready to jump in and get one.  However I am clueless on what I should look for in my first one.  I am not looking for anything modded or supped up.  I saw a slim device version 1 on ebay for $25.  Would this be a wate of money though?  I do not really know the differences between this one and the version 3. 
Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Any advice on buying a squeeze box?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2007, 06:19 pm »
I'd get a 2 or 3.  The 3 is more visually appealing and a bit larger display to read from farther away.  The 2 has more room for future mods though.  If you want a new one, then the 3 is the only thing available.  PM me if you want one.

Bryan

bprice2

« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2007, 06:47 pm »
You might check to see if the Slim Devices White Sale is still going on. 

Holderman

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2007, 07:08 pm »
I doubt I will consider adding on to it in the future so even at $225 cheaper I still should not consider the version 1?  Are there any other drawbacks which would later make me regret the decision even at the modest cost of $25?

bprice2

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2007, 07:18 pm »
Sorry, I don't anything about the version 1, except its 2 versions out of production.  I assume for a good reason.

mitch stl

« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2007, 07:22 pm »
If the seller has a good reputation and states clearly that the SB1 is fully operational, then $25 (assuming no gouge on shipping & handling) is a great way to get an introduction to the Squeezebox concept. I actually started off years ago with their SliMP3 player and used that for casual listening before upgrading.

Heck, you'd spend more than that with two people going to a movie and buying popcorn and sodas.

That said, if you are going to use it for serious listening, you'd eventually want to upgrade to the SB3.  The SB3 is a pretty good sounding device for $300 and gets much better with a high quality external DAC. (I use the SB3 with a Lavry DA-10 and am very satisfied with sound quality.)

Rashiki

« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2007, 08:14 pm »
The original SqueezeBox had a text-only display. There was a later revision to change the display to support graphics.

The SqueezeBox2 improved the display resolution and improved the quality of the digital output. Slim Devices made it a priority to make the SB2's digital output as good as a high quality transport.

The SqueezeBox3 was largely a cosmetic change from the SB2. The SB3 has a larger screen and also supports 802.11g (54 Mbit/s wireless) while the SB2 was limited to 802.11b (11Mbit/s wireless). There were some additional electronics changes, but for the most part the SB2 and SB3 are equivalent in terms of sound quality.

I have one of each (original SB, SB rev2, SB2 and SB3). I still use all of them, but keep the older versions for background music (garage, outdoors, etc.).

-Rob

Jampot

« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2007, 08:18 pm »
There is a hardware comparison here -

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison

I agree with Rashiki, it may be a good deal at $25 for the kitchen or bedroom but I wouldn't expect it to compare sonically in any way shape or form.

Jim

Holderman

« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2007, 08:36 pm »
Thank you to everybody for their input.  The side by side comprassion was extremely helpful.  The auction still has 5 days left so it may go well above $25.  Maybe I will follow it and grab it if it does not go much higher, and if so wait until around christmas and see if I can get a version 3 a little cheaper.  Thanks again to all for their help. :D

Rashiki

« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2007, 09:21 pm »
If you'd like to try out the interface, you can download the SlimServer software and try out SoftSqueeze. Read more about it here:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SoftSqueeze

mitch stl

« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2007, 03:53 pm »
> The auction still has 5 days left so it may go well above $25.

I didn't realize this was an auction. It probably will go up quite a bit. I sold an SliMP3 (the very first version they ever made) on eBay about a year ago and it went for $90 or so as I recall.

However, keep in mind, that if the item goes to you for an auction price in that range, you can always buy it. Then you've got a pretty good chance of being able to resell it for a similar price if you choose to upgrade to a newer unit and not keep the old one.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #11 on: 6 Nov 2007, 10:02 pm »
Hey guys,
I thought of this thread when I ran across this item on ebay.
Thought somebody might find it worthy of their garage/workshop etc...:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&item=300168334895&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

{No, I'm not the seller}

Bob