Concrete or granite block under subwoofer?

rockadanny

Concrete or granite block under subwoofer?
« on: 30 Oct 2007, 01:44 pm »
Just curious ... My Titan is on a wood floor (subfloor and crawlspace under that), decoupled via 'sad balls' sliced in half for footers (no wonder they're 'sad'). Would it be beneficial to place the entire subwoofer on a block of concrete or granite? Or some other kind of block made of audio Nirvana miracle material? Anyone try this? Mike, is this a dumb idea?

Mike Dzurko

Re: Concrete or granite block under subwoofer?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2007, 04:36 pm »
I don't think it's a dumb idea at all. The added mass may well help damp the hardwood floor. Give it a shot and tell us what you hear.

BRILEY804

« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2007, 05:21 pm »

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2007, 06:24 pm »
why not try this as this is what its made for :

http://truesoundcontrol.com/products/SUBDUDE.html?gclid=CI3x16KSt48CFQUoZAodn0gddg

This is what I use and think it works well.
In the past, I've also used the concrete pavers from Home Depot underneath and on top of the subwoofer and had good results.  I noticed less room resonace and  more articulate bass reproduction.  Both approaches worked me,just a matter of how much you want to spend and how you want it to look.  I think the pavers I used weighed about 40-50lbs each (maybe more). $50 for a subdude is a sound investment.

oris98

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2007, 08:20 pm »
I have a similar questions for my pair of Force sub too..  In stead of sitting on hardwood floor, my are sitting on carpet.   Since the spikes that came with the FOrce is relatively dull at the point, it cannot penetrade through the carpet down to the Concrete level under neath the carpet.  I am wondering if anyone has put a piece of granite or concrete slab on top of the carpet and let the Force spike sitting on top with better result ?   

Many thanks

rockadanny

« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2007, 09:10 pm »
Thanks for the relpies thus far. The SubDude looks interesting.
The 'sad' balls already decouple the subwoofer box from the floor. I was more interested if a slab of something (like the thick felt and MDF of the subDude or concrete) would isolate the sound waves from resonating the floor as the sub fires downward. But after thinking about it some more, I doubt a slab of anything other than good thick absorptive materials would have much of an effect. And then, it may be an undesired effect anyway. Hmmm ...

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2007, 09:31 pm »
I think launche is on the right track by applying mass on top of the cabinet. the cabinet should be as quite as possible. Maybe a cabinet made out of poured concrete would give real good results. I don't see how you can really stop the floor (and everything else) from vibrating.

Just a thought.

Wayner

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2007, 09:59 pm »
I built a substand for mine but before that i had always used the wide bodied 1.5" Audiopoints w/discs for the hardwood floor w/cellar. Just me but I had better luck mass loading the top of the sub instead of the floor. Even now with my substand, I use a 14" x 16" x 2" thick polished black marble platform with Herbies Big Fat Balck Dots underneath to obsorb vibration that'll lessen the ringing of the marble. Setting a sub on stone really accomplishes nothing unless you isolate the stone from the floor which is what I use to do with rubber/cork squares. I found it just as easy to use Audiopoints/discs for the floor and I feel mass loading tends to solidify the bass,,, for my ears anyways.  :D

Robin

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2007, 11:56 pm »
Setting a sub on stone really accomplishes nothing unless you isolate the stone from the floor which is what I use to do with rubber/cork squares. I found it just as easy to use Audiopoints/discs for the floor and I feel mass loading tends to solidify the bass,,, for my ears anyways.  :D

Robin

Ahh yes, this is important.  When I used the concrete slabs I used racquet balls to float the sub and I also used those 1 1/2x4 inch sample granite square slabs that you see as samples in Home Depot etc... I then applied a rubber backing to both sides (like what's on those cork isolation pads). 
So it was:
Concrete slab>Sub>concrete slab>rubber backed granite footers or racquet balls.
It worked well, I thought sandwiching the sub made positive gains. I would have used some spikes but I couldn't find anything cheap at the time that could support the weight which must have been over 200lbs.

In fact I have several pieces of granite left over from projects and I've applied the rubber padding or the cork pads and I'm using that under most of my components, seems to work well enough.