Timepiece 2.0's Show up at October Rave!

topround

Timepiece 2.0's Show up at October Rave!
« on: 28 Oct 2007, 01:19 pm »
Just a little heads up, I brought Lonewolf's SP Tech Timepice 2.0's to the October Rave, The Host Mike still has them to play with. :thumb: His Channels Islands D 200 should mate well with those speakers.

Take a look at the postings for the October rave for what people thought of these speakers. :thumb:

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Re: Timepiece 2.0's Show up at October Rave!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2007, 01:41 pm »
They are good, real good!!! All I can say is that if you get a chance to hear them do so you wont be sorry but you just might be a lot lighter in the your back pocket if you do. lol 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2007, 03:04 pm »

Take a look at the postings for the October rave for what people thought of these speakers. :thumb:

I did, and there's nothing there yet, except kudos to Mike and Sharon for a great get-togther.  Is it too early, or is the equipment feedback/listening impressions on another thread?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2007, 08:32 pm »

I did, and there's nothing there yet, except kudos to Mike and Sharon for a great get-togther.  Is it too early, or is the equipment feedback/listening impressions on another thread?

Ted....

I know you were looking for some further comments about the TP 2's at the last Rave....
see this...mfsoa/Mike's comments... :thumb:

Chris

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2007, 10:13 pm »
Thanks Chris!   Great comments about a speaker that has been improved upon with versions 2.5 and 3, right?  Do those who've heard the newer TP's believe the improvement is in the areas of "one-note bass" and aggressive soundstage?  I would still think the bass issues are room related, but speculating only.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2007, 10:36 pm »
Ted...
Thanks Chris!   Great comments about a speaker that has been improved upon with versions 2.5 and 3, right?
Your welcome Ted.
The TP versions....2.0 (mine)......2.1 (DU has these)....and the latest, 3.0. :thumb:

Double Ugly

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2007, 11:43 pm »
The TP versions....2.0 (mine)......2.1 (DU has these)....and the latest, 3.0. :thumb:

Actually, I have a pair of 2.1s and a pair of 2.0s.  The 2.1s are a definite improvement over the 2.0s, and if what we heard in Denver is any indication, the 3.0s should be a real show-stopper.  :thumb:

Something Mike said about one-note bass caught me by surprise, though.  I haven't experienced that phenomenon at all in my room/system.  In fact, what most people are quickest to comment on is how deep and articulate the bass is.  We were listening to 88 Basie Street last night, and the stand-up bass was exceptionally well-presented.  Even my mother-in-law commented on how real it sounded.

Having lived with a 50-year jazz musician who played with (and has gotten drunk with) a number of jazz giants, she's heard good bass a time or two.  :wink:

It's not nearly as good as the Revelation's and Infra-Wave's T-line (what is?), but it definitely isn't a one-note wonder here.

Christof

« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2007, 11:54 pm »
Something Mike said about one-note bass caught me by surprise, though.  I haven't experienced that phenomenon at all in my room/system.  In fact, what most people are quickest to comment on is how deep and articulate the bass is.

I agree with you here, DU :thumb:  If the TP's seem to have "one-note bass" syndrome I would suspect there are some room related issues.  My 2.1's kick @ss in the bass dept.  In my 22' x 50' room I have a few modes which need to be addressed but otherwise no complaints what so ever from these small (giant sounding) 2-ways.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2007, 12:08 am »
Thanks Chris!   Great comments about a speaker that has been improved upon with versions 2.5 and 3, right?  Do those who've heard the newer TP's believe the improvement is in the areas of "one-note bass" and aggressive soundstage?  I would still think the bass issues are room related, but speculating only.

I haven't heard the TPs, yet, but when I heard the nuforce s-9 in a large hall (roughly 30x100,) they blew my socks off, with the bass reproduction of Victor Wooten's Fodera bass being cleaner and more tuneful than my own (albeit inexpensive) 2x10+15 bass guitar setup.  I just need my bass rig to sound like the s-9, and the s-9 just used a few 6.5" woofers.  And I suspect the TP actually outperforms the S-9 in bass, with its "hybrid" porting.  These things definitely go low enough with real authority to set off all of your room modes.  I didn't think the improvements in any of the TP revisions had anything specifically to do with the bass, although they did involve a tweeter upgrade, along with xover revisions, and mundorf parts, by the time it made v3.0. 

I'm slowly making payments for my own Timepieces.  The really cool thing is that if all goes according to plan, Bob will make my new Timepieces upgradable to the Revelation-Mini.  My room has some pretty bad bass suckouts, so I'm interested to see how the TPs will perform in it.

mfsoa

« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2007, 01:33 am »
Maybe I should have elaborated more - If there is some issue with the bass on the TPs, it is really minor compared to the overall bass reproduction, which is excellent (truly stunning considering the size of the cabinet and driver). Its just that in my room there seems to be an over-abundance bass sometimes, and that it is reminiscint of the physical sensation of having certain frequency bands over-emphasized. Agree that the room must play some role in this. Also, the tube amp surely won't be controlling the woofer the way a good SS amp would.

-Mike

Double Ugly

« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2007, 01:57 am »
Also, the tube amp surely won't be controlling the woofer the way a good SS amp would.

Probably not.  Some will argue this or that tube amp has a vise-like grip on the woofers, but IME SS amps have always performed better in that regard.

The hybrid Monads produce phenomenal bass, but it's mostly the SS section of the amp that does it.  The 300B is direct-coupled to the output stage where it doesn't really drive anything.

It just sounds really sweet!  :D

Additionally, my room has a large opening in the back that extends the length of the room to almost 30'.  That, too, probably plays a prominent role in what I hear.

mcullinan

« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2007, 02:04 am »
The Timepieces sounded so good at the rave. I am jealous that Mike has had the pleasure to listen all this time! Can't wait to hear the 3.0 versions.
mike

TomS

« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2007, 02:26 am »

It's not nearly as good as the Revelation's and Infra-Wave's T-line (what is?), but it definitely isn't a one-note wonder here.

So, did you get a chance to hear the Infra-Wave T-line?

Double Ugly

« Reply #13 on: 19 Nov 2007, 02:35 am »

So, did you get a chance to hear the Infra-Wave T-line?

Nope.  But since Bob says it's nothing more than the bottom of a Revelation turned sideways and extended, and since he says it'll sound exactly the same, only deeper, I think I have a pretty good idea about how it sounds.

He told me a lot about how the Revelation's T-line would sound before he built a pair, about how it'd be the best bass I'd ever heard and things like that.  I'm sure I probably gave him the "yeah, well" reply like most of us would be inclined to do, but then I heard them. 

Only then did I fully understood what he was talking about, but this time I think I have an edge.  :wink:

Bigfish

« Reply #14 on: 19 Nov 2007, 02:56 am »
Nick B and I probably have the last pairs of Timepiece 2.1s that Bob made.  They have all the upgrades of the 3.0s with the exception of the wood construction and they don't have Bob's new wire.  If you have never heard the Timepieces and you were taken into a room blindfolded where they are playing you would think these speakers are huge.  They throw a very large soundstage and bass that moves you.  The Timepieces are deadly accurate, very fast and will reflect all changes in upstream equipment.  No weak amps need apply unless you plan to listen at relatively low SPL levels.  Also, because they so effectively produce low bass you may not be happy at higher volume levels without room treatments.  Since I purchased mine I have heard many speakers and none yet have generated the top to bottom sensation I hear/feel with my Timepieces.  Several of the guys here know that I have worked with my system through changing ICs, PCs, SCs and tubes to generate the combination of detail/warmth that I desire.  The hard work and time investment has paid off.  I think it is going to be very difficult to find another pair of speakers to outperform the ones I am listening to right now.

Ken