One more question on LS amp requirements

OBF

One more question on LS amp requirements
« on: 28 Oct 2007, 02:35 am »
Hi Danny,

I haven't seen this specific question discussed on any of the other LS threads so here goes...

If a person was going to use an active crossover (w/sub) on the LS-6s, how would that affect the amount of power needed to drive them adequately with enough head room to get loud?  I'm thinking a low enough cross to not waste the LS's tight bass for instruments, but high enough the mid woofers don't have to work to recreate a 20Hz signal.  Say 40-60 for the high pass with a steep slope.  Mid sized 16x22 room.  Question could apply equally to lower watt tube amps (probably not SET low) or lower watt Class A SS amps like a Pass Aleph.  Thanks.

Danny Richie

Re: One more question on LS amp requirements
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2007, 03:24 am »
Now that's a tough questions.

For one I can't imagine any sub coming close to their performance in the 20 to 40Hz range let alone the 40 to 60Hz range. You'd be giving up one of the outstanding attributes of these speakers and taking a major step backwards in going that direction.

If you used a line of about six 12" sub-woofers per side in sealed boxes and servo controlled then 25Hz and no more than 30Hz might work out okay.

I wouldn't say that a lot of power is needed to get good SPL levels but an amp capable of some current would be best.