Marantz 2270-How does it hold up after all those years??

geowak

For all you audio experts-
I have been thinking about getting an older Marantz. I've been looking at the 2270 or 2275, but would consider another recommended model.

How does one know how they will hold up after all those years?
I would think static,lights, and/or capacitors would breakdown after 30 years?

So would it be better to get one that has had newer parts replaced or just get one that has not been used that much and in pristine condition.

Any suggestions?

GDeering

Re: Marantz 2270-How does it hold up after all those years??
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2007, 03:16 am »
I'd skip it.  Not worth the phono stages and not sonically interesting.  Cool as a shelf item though.

Go vintage, go tubes - early mid-fi SS is not worth your time - unless you like the idea more than the sound.  Hmm.. that may go for my tube love as well.....  the tech-guy is very important to keeping decent vintage tube gear going.

Gregg

Wayner

Re: Marantz 2270-How does it hold up after all those years??
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2007, 12:10 pm »
The 2270 holds up very well, if you can get one that has been treated descent. I own several Marantz receivers and enjoy them alot. With the right speakers and table, they can sound very swell. They are built like army tanks. At some point the power supply caps should be replaced, but I haven't done mine yet. The 2270 has 70 watts RMS per channel and will smash any new amp of the same (and questionable) power rating. If you get one, clean the dust out, replace lamps and spray the pots with CAIG. You should be good to go.

Good luck!

Wayner