Kepler Pictures

Kevin Haskins

Kepler Pictures
« on: 27 Oct 2007, 05:33 pm »
Some people have expressed a total lack of appreciation for all my measurements.    They want to see a PICTURE of the speaker.   

Bowing to public opinion, here are a couple quick ones.   I'm not a great photographer, the pictures don't do them justice.

From behind, you notice the 2" flared port.    The dual binding post option with Exodus Binding post.   

I'm going to put this feature to use.   I'm not a big believer in bi-wiring as being a cost effective upgrade.   I am a proponent of bi-amping though and with some of the room equalization tools I have coming available it will be trivial to have a Woofer Widget room measurement/EQ tool in line with just the woofer.   That would allow complete high-quality equalization with in-room measurements at reasonable prices (and no worries about DSP delay because our solution is all analog).    This translates to the ability to adjust for room placement, variable baffle step compensation, room issues with a couple bands of PEQ,  rumble filter for transducer protection and overall to help deal with some of the biggest sound quality issues that your going to find with loudspeakers in rooms.    Most of the time, we as loudspeaker designers, have to design for a "best fit" type of situation.   We don't KNOW exactly all the room effects will be because everyone places loudspeakers differently.    That is about to change.   :thumb:   You won't have to live with 12-18db humps in the response (on a loudspeaker designed with +/- 1db response) that just destroy the ability to really enjoy the loudspeaker.   

Notice the reflection of the piano.   Piano black speakers are a bear to photograph (and to keep fingerprints off).   A hint for those who like the piano black but are worried about keeping them clean.   Some good ole Turtle Wax from the Automotive Isle at Walmart really makes them MUCH easier to keep clean.    Of course there are Cherry & Maple available also.

For scale, that is a 27" television.   Obviously, this isn't the HT room. 

With the grill they still look sexy.   Note... these have magnetic grills.   I wouldn't use the grills for critical listening but they should keep the spouse happy.

And one final look at the drivers.   Peerless HDS up top, our own Exodus EX-6.5 on the bottom.

ooheadsoo

Re: Kepler Pictures
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2007, 06:17 pm »
Ooh, are those the PE cabinets?  They look amazing.  Great package, Kevin!  :thumb:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2007, 06:29 pm »
Ooh, are those the PE cabinets?  They look amazing.  Great package, Kevin!  :thumb:

Yes... those are the new curved wall half cubic foot models.    Don't even think of buying the square ones.   These are worth the extra $10-$15 and then some.   

I've ordered up the Cherry and the Maple also.   I'm also getting PE to make me some baffles that fit my drivers but thats going to take 3-4 months to materialize.    Still.... its terribly difficult to justify building your own enclosures when these are available.    Unless you like the look of bare MDF & bondo.     Terry Olson is the one guy who I wouldn't recommend buying these cabinets.   He loves bondo....

dwk

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2007, 06:31 pm »

Wow - very nice. Considering the measurements you posted, it's almost a pity I don't need any more speakers at the moment.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2007, 06:56 pm »

Wow - very nice. Considering the measurements you posted, it's almost a pity I don't need any more speakers at the moment.

Thanks...  I'm very happy with them.   The best design I've done to date. 

« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2008, 05:05 pm by Kevin Haskins »

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2007, 07:08 pm »
And the details of the transducer capable of such output.

Motor BL & linear suspension out to 10-11mm each way.   In free air, they are noiseless right up to the maximum excursion.   If you look at the impedance curve, you will see no wiggles due to the basket structure with very little rear restriction.   

These are not cheap drivers by any stretch but to my mind, spending your money on the best transducer is a wise investment.

TerryO

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2007, 07:17 pm »

I've ordered up the Cherry and the Maple also.   I'm also getting PE to make me some baffles that fit my drivers but thats going to take 3-4 months to materialize.    Still.... its terribly difficult to justify building your own enclosures when these are available.    Unless you like the look of bare MDF & bondo.     Terry Olson is the one guy who I wouldn't recommend buying these cabinets.   He loves bondo....

Mr. Haskins,
I have nothing against those rather plain, shiny black cabinets although why anyone would want their speakers to look like a piano is beyond me. Just to emphasize that there is no single path to aesthetic realization, these cabinets can benefit from a tasteful application of Bondo ( I'd recommend a muted terracotta red for the black cabinets).
OTOH, if one is into the exciting (and very fashionable) "Retro" look, an application of flat olive-drab paint, with a prominent flat white star stenciled on each side will give it a pre D-day look that would fit right in with your collection of WW2 memorabilia. Some may opt for a blue and red finish with Spiderman decals proudly displayed on the sides. So as you can readily see, there is absolutely no reason to settle for the "ordinary" when there are so many tasteful options available.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2007, 09:52 pm »

Mr. Haskins,
I have nothing against those rather plain, shiny black cabinets although why anyone would want their speakers to look like a piano is beyond me. Just to emphasize that there is no single path to aesthetic realization, these cabinets can benefit from a tasteful application of Bondo ( I'd recommend a muted terracotta red for the black cabinets).
OTOH, if one is into the exciting (and very fashionable) "Retro" look, an application of flat olive-drab paint, with a prominent flat white star stenciled on each side will give it a pre D-day look that would fit right in with your collection of WW2 memorabilia. Some may opt for a blue and red finish with Spiderman decals proudly displayed on the sides. So as you can readily see, there is absolutely no reason to settle for the "ordinary" when there are so many tasteful options available.

Best Regards,
TerryO

My son would like the Spiderman decals.      I'd prefer the D-Day theme myself.     I don't have any WW2 stuff but I brought back a gas mask, bayonet and some stuff from the NBC gear in Iraq.     My squad leader snuck back a 9mm pistol in the guts of the Bradley that has Iraq Army stenciled in the barrel.    He got it of one of the LTs that surrendered.     I didn't have the balls to try and sneak a pistol back into the states, figuring it wasn't worth a court martial.

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2007, 02:55 am »
It may be hard to justify building boxes from a cost standpoint, but I'd build the boxes for these just for the sheer FUN of it!  aa

Pics are nice, but measurements are more important.

To heck with SAF!

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2007, 03:36 am »
I don't know Kevin. The response of that Usher looks pretty smooth.  :wink: Plus they are only $2,795.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #10 on: 28 Oct 2007, 03:48 am »
I don't know Kevin. The response of that Usher looks pretty smooth.  :wink: Plus they are only $2,795.

Oh what do you know?   :lol:   Did the Dr. do that design or you?

That off-axis measurement DOES look pretty good.   Its hard to tell with the resolution of their measurements what is going on at the crossover.    The bottom-end is tipped up though... might sound kind of boomy tucked in a corner.   Pulled out into the room where the typical 2-channel guy would use them it might be a better match though.   

I error on the side of a little lean because fat sounds..... fat.

« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2007, 04:02 am by Kevin Haskins »

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2007, 05:06 pm »
To be perfectly honest I don't think he has seen it since I designed it.

What would you like to know about what's going on at the crossover?

The bottom end really isn't tipped up though. It's flat. The whole thing is almost within a +/-1db range.

I did voice the top end to the low side of flat though. The beryllium tweeter has very high resolution and transit response is quite clean and sharp. It doesn't have the bite of most metal domes though. Still if it were voiced to the brighter side of neutral some might think it a bit aggressive. I put a little more emphasis on long term listening rather than quick attention getting.

On the bottom end thing again. I tend to voice a speaker like our A/V-1 a little leaner in the lower end. It is more likely to be placed near a corner or wall in some applications. The BE-718 is more of a high end two channel speaker, and at $2,795 a pair I don't see many end users placing them in corners or up against a wall. Since they will likely be more of a show piece or statement speaker they will be more likely placed well out into a room. So the bottom end is flat and not fat. I do agree though that less optimal locations could give them a fatter sound than intended.

Also the BE-718 is a really good speaker, but if there were something about them for you to shoot for in matching them or bettering them, then the best thing you could match is their sales. If you can just match that one aspect alone you'll be most happy.

Kevin, your new speaker looks very good.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #12 on: 28 Oct 2007, 08:20 pm »
To be perfectly honest I don't think he has seen it since I designed it.

What would you like to know about what's going on at the crossover?

Nothing really.... its just difficult to read those measurements at Soundstage because they are so tiny and they are all 10db graphs.    It looks good, it shows enough to relate that you did a great job.

The bottom end really isn't tipped up though. It's flat. The whole thing is almost within a +/-1db range.

On the bottom end thing again. I tend to voice a speaker like our A/V-1 a little leaner in the lower end. It is more likely to be placed near a corner or wall in some applications. The BE-718 is more of a high end two channel speaker, and at $2,795 a pair I don't see many end users placing them in corners or up against a wall. Since they will likely be more of a show piece or statement speaker they will be more likely placed well out into a room. So the bottom end is flat and not fat. I do agree though that less optimal locations could give them a fatter sound than intended.

Given the target customer, looks like you made the right choice.   The reviewer was impressed.  ;-)

Also the BE-718 is a really good speaker, but if there were something about them for you to shoot for in matching them or bettering them, then the best thing you could match is their sales. If you can just match that one aspect alone you'll be most happy.

Kevin, your new speaker looks very good.

Ha!  I don't see that happening.   In fact, I wouldn't want it because I'd have to become a real company.    I would like MODERATE sales though, enough to keep me busy but not so much that I'm working late every night. 

Thanks Danny, appriciate the kind words.   I think you might be doing a thing or two right also.  :wink: 

I'd like to try those Sonicaps.   Maybe we could do a listening comparison at one of the Pacific Northwest Audio Society meetings.    They have done some really good comparisons with speaker evaluations.   I'm sure we could do a crossover comparison, with carefully matched components.   It would be a lot of fun.   

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 28 Oct 2007, 10:09 pm »
Say the word and I'll send you caps.

klh

« Reply #14 on: 29 Oct 2007, 07:48 am »
It's refreshing when competing guys can appreciate each others work publicly without letting their egos get in the way. That doesn't always happen at AC.

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #15 on: 1 Nov 2007, 02:00 pm »
I think it's because both of them are two real pro's and behave as such.

Man those speakers do look sweet and I for one do like the Piano gloss, beautiful! aa Fantastic job Kevin!

John

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #16 on: 1 Nov 2007, 03:13 pm »
I think it's because both of them are two real pro's and behave as such.

John

You don't know me very well.... do you John?   ;-)

Thanks for the kind words.   

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #17 on: 1 Nov 2007, 06:33 pm »
No I sure don't but hey, ya can't blame a guy for trying to butter you two up and get discounts/free stuff!! :lol:

John

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #18 on: 1 Nov 2007, 07:16 pm »
No I sure don't but hey, ya can't blame a guy for trying to butter you two up and get discounts/free stuff!! :lol:

John

I'm immune to butter.  :lol:

I'm not very "professional" by societal norms but I try to be honest, kind and understanding of those who believe different than I, with varying degrees of success.

Danny and I share some design mantras and probably differ on others.   Thats "ok", different strokes for different folks.    I try not to make differences personal, and Danny seems to do the same.   We get along for those reasons.