Have you heard of this cool Networked Media Device ?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Re: Have you heard of this cool Networked Media Device ?
« Reply #20 on: 20 Nov 2007, 04:38 pm »
Whoa! I didn't expected the demand.  We oversold the 1st shipment of 20 units in a few hours.  Sorry, we're working on a better online store to handle selling of small items that are not carried by dealers.

Toka

« Reply #21 on: 20 Nov 2007, 04:44 pm »
Whoa! I didn't expected the demand.  We oversold the 1st shipment of 20 units in a few hours.  Sorry, we're working on a better online store to handle selling of small items that are not carried by dealers.

Wow! Just goes to show you people are hungry for something like this I guess. Hope I made the cut!

EDIT: I forgot to ask...have you found any areas in the unit to make improvements? Either video or audio.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2007, 05:22 pm by Toka »

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 21 Nov 2007, 12:18 am »
You can now place advance order for December 19 shipment from our website.

mcclure

« Reply #23 on: 30 Nov 2007, 12:14 am »
Hi, Nuforce-Jason.

Any news on november shipment?

Thanks.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #24 on: 30 Nov 2007, 04:54 am »
We will ship out a small number of units tomorrow.

Toka

« Reply #25 on: 6 Dec 2007, 03:45 am »
WooHoo!!!  :hyper:  After FedEx couldn't find my home yesterday for whatever reason it just showed up at my door (yep, at 10:30 PM...I shan't complain, though!). Dunno if I'll get a chance to really play with it tonight, but soon enough! Looks very cool, smaller than I thought it would be. I'll report back when I get a chance. Thank you NuForce team!  8)

Don_S

« Reply #26 on: 6 Dec 2007, 07:17 am »
Toka,  Please do report back.  I still can't figure out what the darn thing does.  I am in the market for a Squeeze Box for streaming internet audio.  I already have a top quality music server so I am only interested in internet radio.

Will the popcorn do the same thing as an SB but better and cheaper?

Toka

« Reply #27 on: 8 Dec 2007, 05:21 pm »
Well, I finally had a chance to play with it a bit today. Setup was real easy, had it all plugged in and the new firmware downloaded in about 5 minutes. Didn't even bother trying to sync with my PC (I'm sure that'll be a speedbump for me), but I had a lot of fun browsing YouTube (way faster than it is on my PC, and from the comfort of my couch!), as well as all the other video services (sound weird/interesting stuff out there...). SayaTV was a bit clunky and slow, but it is the same way on my PC, so hopefully that will get better. Sure looks like it has a lot of potential, plus it'll link me to things I would otherwise never see (Asian/European TV, etc.).

The current firmware does not support Flac, but I understand that is in the works. I'm not sure if Internet Radio is supported (if it is, I didn't see it), so if you are purely interested in audio the SqueezeBox is probably a better bet. The Popcorn Hour is sorta like a SB for video, if that makes any sense. The PH is still a work in progress, not the most polished interface, but I enjoyed using it. Hope to play more later tonight!  8)

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #28 on: 8 Dec 2007, 05:38 pm »
Good to know.  Unfortunately, I won't be getting mine until January.  I mainly want it to steam video files on my NAS to TVs on the network.  Let me know how synching with PC network goes. 

Don_S

« Reply #29 on: 8 Dec 2007, 06:35 pm »
Toka,  Thank you for the report.  That was very helpful.

Toka

« Reply #30 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:18 pm »
Glad I could help! I have more to report...been poking around some more this morning and found it does indeed have Internet Radio...SHOUTcast, to be specific (also a function called "RadioBox" which seems to link to SC channels...not sure how it really differs). It looks like they can link to many other providers, but that is what they have so far. It works great, found many quality 192k streams (have Deep Purple blasting on it right now). Only complaint is that each station, when selected, loads a generic splash screen with no text whatsoever...not even the name of the station. So, if you walked in the room while something was playing, you would have absolutely no idea what it was. There are also video/audio podcasts available, plus it links to some web photo providers (Picasa and Flickr, I think). Quirkiness aside, I really like this thing. TONS of functionality for essentially peanuts...and it can only get better! Macedonian techno, baby!  :rock:

I tried for about 10 minutes to link with my PC, but I'm not very savvy in this regard and I got nowhere. I'm sure its not that hard but I really, really hate Windows when it comes to this stuff. I'm due to switch out my PC soon anyway so I'll just save that hurdle for another day.

Don_S

« Reply #31 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:27 pm »
Toka,  I can sympathise with you there.  Read my thread on Squeezebox connection problems.  Maybe some day some company will build a device that works.

timothyharnett

« Reply #32 on: 16 Dec 2007, 12:51 am »
It looks like a terrific product but I just wish an hifi company would give me a Reciva based internet tuner that has it's own display and doesn't require me to connect to a flat panel.

Kurt

« Reply #33 on: 5 Feb 2008, 05:36 pm »
I have Tivo series 3s and Transporters so I would be overlapping functionality if I got this product. What I might go for though is the video streams from other countries etc...

Anyone with these devices want to share links etc. that I could see on my PC that areworking well on there Popcorn Hour? Other POV's interest me. I created an account on their forums as well but haven't been on there yet.

TIA