ssr's-finally finished

drmike

ssr's-finally finished
« on: 24 Oct 2007, 01:19 am »
8 months-finally finished! will try to post some pictures this week, high gloss black, done by one of my patients. these speakers are fabulous. will try to build two of rick's suggested subs to replace the aci titan i am usig now.
i used dsk's cabinet layout (thank you).
rick,. you did an awesome job on this design! the ssr's look and sound fantastic.
thank you for your help and advice.
drmike

DSK

Re: ssr's-finally finished
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2007, 09:18 am »
Hey drmike, congrats!

I found that they sounded very good immediately but sounded even better after 100+ hours. If they continued to get better after 100 hours it was a gradual process that I wasn't aware of.

Make sure your ears, when seated, are level with the lower part of the ribbon. In my room, I found the best toe-in to be approx half way between straight ahead and directly at my ears.

I agree that Rick really nailed this design. Despite the occasional comment on forums about ScanSpeak paper cones being 'warm' and 'lacking detail and transparency', I can only surmise that these people haven't heard the Revelator 8531G or at least not in the SSR implementation. These speakers are very transparent, detailed, refined and quite neutral to perhaps VERY SLIGHTLY warm when driven by neutral gear. They readily show weaknesses in the system driving them and are worthy of the finest gear. They are wonderfully musical.

Enjoy!  :drool:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2007, 04:04 pm »
8 months-finally finished! will try to post some pictures this week, high gloss black, done by one of my patients. these speakers are fabulous. will try to build two of rick's suggested subs to replace the aci titan i am usig now.
i used dsk's cabinet layout (thank you).
rick,. you did an awesome job on this design! the ssr's look and sound fantastic.
thank you for your help and advice.
drmike

That's great to hear  :thumb:

Cacophonix

« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2007, 05:19 pm »
pics!! pics!! pics!! pics!!  :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Congrats on your new SSR! :thumb:

cadobhuk

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2007, 10:33 am »
wait.........if you buy a pair of speakers in kit form such as those SSRs,it takes 8 months to put them together?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2007, 02:21 pm »
wait.........if you buy a pair of speakers in kit form such as those SSRs,it takes 8 months to put them together?

It's a really complex cabinet  :lol:

Seriously, I've had customers take longer than this but it doesn't really take that long to finish the cabinets unless you're doing a piano black finish with multiple coats.

Cacophonix

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2007, 04:07 pm »
It's a really complex cabinet  :lol:

Seriously, I've had customers take longer than this but it doesn't really take that long to finish the cabinets unless you're doing a piano black finish with multiple coats.

Or just find a local cabinet builder, and get it done!

cadobhuk

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2007, 07:42 pm »
If you buy them with cabinets,how long does it take to put together?

Cacophonix

« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2007, 07:54 pm »
If you buy them with cabinets,how long does it take to put together?

Takes almost no time.
Cross over comes assembled. So all you need it just solder the leads from the cross over to the terminals and drivers. Then screw the drivers in, and you are in business. Not more than an hours work.

cadobhuk

« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2007, 02:06 am »
Yeah thats what I thought,thanks for relieving me of the sudden fears

drmike

« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2007, 01:27 pm »
took about five weeks to build the cabinets. i used dsk's  dimesions but added 3/4 bb plywood behind the front baffle and the rear, making them 1 3/4". the rest of the box is made of 1" mdf.
iused north creek music systems' glop  to coat the insides of the cabinet in front of the brace. i use blackhole 5 to line the rest of the cabinet.
the finish took the longest. i had planned to veneer the boxes but after i dropped one of the cabinets i had no choice but to round over all the edges and start the painting process.
all my attempts were pretty much a waste of time, they were sent out for paint. one of my younger patients, who does autobody work spayed them. he used a very expensive dupont black paint and three coats of clear. this was a real deal, $60!
the wait was worth it. thinking about getting some sound anchor stands, and two subs (ricks aurasound design).
the dimensions are 22x9x15, they weigh in at 64 lbs.
drmike